Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2024, 07:26 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,395,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Thanks for sharing BJW, seems like they are going back in time, solemn, reflective journey.
It is a harsh reminder that freedom isn't free. They are in Virginia now. They will be there for about a week. Tomorrow they will be going on a tour of the lands that were owned by their ancestors. Monday or Tuesday they will be making a trip to Gettysburg. That is where the family arrived when they to the US in 1700's.

They will leave on the 8th for home. They will be stopping in Iowa City,Iowa on the way home. Their ancestor, that died in Andersonville, was with another soldier when he was captured. His family donated his letters, diaries of him and his wife and other material to the University of Iowa. They will be skimming through those for information.

My wife will be doing a presentation at some point on her trip to our local genealogical society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2024, 10:33 PM
JRR

8,298 posts, read 5,821,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
It is a harsh reminder that freedom isn't free. They are in Virginia now. They will be there for about a week. Tomorrow they will be going on a tour of the lands that were owned by their ancestors. Monday or Tuesday they will be making a trip to Gettysburg. That is where the family arrived when they to the US in 1700's.

They will leave on the 8th for home. They will be stopping in Iowa City,Iowa on the way home. Their ancestor, that died in Andersonville, was with another soldier when he was captured. His family donated his letters, diaries of him and his wife and other material to the University of Iowa. They will be skimming through those for information.

My wife will be doing a presentation at some point on her trip to our local genealogical society.
Having an interest in the Civil War, I have been to some of the places you have mentioned. Andersonville was so striking when you see how small the actual area was where the prisoners were penned and the conditions were nothing short of ghastly.

I first visited Gettysburg in 1960 and have been back several times. The last time we hired a battlefield guide and concentrated on the first day. She took us to the outskirts of town to the exact spot where Union pickets fired the first shot. And of course every visit I have to go up to Cemetery Ridge and look out over the area where Pickett's Charge came from. Gettysburg never gets old to me.

I have always wanted to visit Vicksburg but for some reason never made it there. I hope to take the Natchez Trace Parkway some spring from Nashville to Natchez and if we do, Vicksburg will be a definite stop on the trip.

Old 06-29-2024, 12:18 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,886,202 times
Civil War, I learned, to people living in the South, was the Northern Aggression or the
War Between the States !

Paternal kin living in North Carolina at the time. When younger, had an interest to ask about my father's family.

Road Scholar, 2014, an educational tour of Charleston, S.C. Minus vehicles, almost like stepping back in time. Of the 5 days, one was on your own. Heard about the Gullahs, a gentleman the night before, came to the hotel, gave a talk about the Gullahs. Signed up for the tour rather than visit Fort Sumnter where the first shots were fired ?

Living in California, then Washington state most of my life, an entirely different culture. Did enjoy grits every morning at the hotel buffet, paternal side coming out !

Thank both of you for sharing !

Old 07-01-2024, 03:15 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,395,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Civil War, I learned, to people living in the South, was the Northern Aggression or the
War Between the States !

Paternal kin living in North Carolina at the time. When younger, had an interest to ask about my father's family.

Road Scholar, 2014, an educational tour of Charleston, S.C. Minus vehicles, almost like stepping back in time. Of the 5 days, one was on your own. Heard about the Gullahs, a gentleman the night before, came to the hotel, gave a talk about the Gullahs. Signed up for the tour rather than visit Fort Sumnter where the first shots were fired ?

Living in California, then Washington state most of my life, an entirely different culture. Did enjoy grits every morning at the hotel buffet, paternal side coming out !

Thank both of you for sharing !
Last Friday they went to Washington and Lee University to do some research.

Today through Wednesday, They plan on visiting:

https://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/VA-02-RB29
https://www.vmi.edu/museums-and-arch...-museum/visit/
https://www.nps.gov/frsp/learn/historyculture/chist.htm
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/...grove-cemetery
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/...amily-cemetery

They are heading to Gettysburg on Friday and will stay there until leave Monday morning

Old 07-04-2024, 10:27 AM

8,535 posts, read 4,331,468 times
"Kissing Cousins."

Old 07-04-2024, 12:08 PM

7,972 posts, read 3,574,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
"Kissing Cousins."

Oh geesh! I cannot tell the boys from the girls (not that That matters).

Old 07-04-2024, 01:37 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,886,202 times
BJW,, thank you for the websites. Continued safe travels to those traveling.

Mogul, cute !

Happy Birthday America !

Old 07-04-2024, 03:05 PM

8,535 posts, read 4,331,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Oh geesh! I cannot tell the boys from the girls (not that That matters).
They are both male - they have racks (antlers). Female moose do not have racks - only male moose.

It puts an entire new meaning to the compliment, "Nice Rack."

My uneducated guess is the two male moose are related, otherwise they probably would avoid each other.

Old 07-04-2024, 05:11 PM

7,972 posts, read 3,574,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
They are both male - they have racks (antlers). Female moose do not have racks - only male moose.

It puts an entire new meaning to the compliment, "Nice Rack."

My uneducated guess is the two male moose are related, otherwise they probably would avoid each other.

Oh geesh! Thanks for explaining (at least). I was going to make some rack comment; but, you did.

Old 07-04-2024, 06:59 PM

5,953 posts, read 5,156,194 times
Take a closer look at the moose on the right. Then the one on the left.

I think the moose on the right has something "extra". Makes him a male, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement