Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 07:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times

Advertisements

last TV program I watched was in 1965.

To much other stuff to do (useful and 'engaging' stuff).

I did go to the movies once, but fell asleep during Raiders of the Lost Ark first 10 minutes.... DS, said NEVER again waste money on me to sleep through a movie. OK, suits me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 07:42 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
I use prime and Netflix. My cable bill had been too high for the little bit I watched. Best part is no commercials and the pause button for when you want a break. Worst part is I have no idea how to get anything on network tv

Old 05-22-2019, 08:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,578,513 times
Recommendations on cutting the cord

Cord Cutting pros/cons

Cutting the Cord: Alternatives to Cable and Satellite TV - Dec 2018
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/ho...o-if-you-cant/

Last edited by matisse12; 05-22-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
We dumped cable TV 15 years ago and put our TV to the curb. Have not missed it for a single day. There are too many other places to watch videos if we feel like doing that (usually too busy). We figure we've saved thousands of $$ at this point. Unfortunately, our only high-speed internet option around here is cable modem, so we still pay for that. But no more TV.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
I hated paying for tv with commercials. That was supposed to be the big draw when cable first came out - no commercials. Ha.
No. Right now I just have my little Straight talk phone with unlimited everything and a hotspot if I need to jump on the laptop to pay bills. $50/mo.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:02 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,244 times
I dumped cable TV 10 years ago and have never looked back. Comcast is $70/month for high speed internet where I live. I have a large desktop computer and watch everything online that I'm interested in, or download stuff from the itunes store (either rent or buy). I would never spend $$ on cable TV in the future. I also have a lot of DVDs that I watch from time to time on my desktop.

I follow some college sports, and for those games, I either go to the gym and watch while exercising, or I go to one of the sports bars and watch games there as well. Even Whole Foods has a bar with a big flat screen showing the games. It's more fun watching sports with a crowd of people anyway, IMO. LOL

Last edited by xz2y; 05-22-2019 at 10:12 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 10:29 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Comcast is $79 for economy cable and internet. It's $2.00 less if you only get internet. So we pay the $79. But I would love to not have to pay that much for internet. I bought an antenna that sticks on the window and with that I can get a few networks mostly for news and THREE different PBS stations, and that's all I need.

Haven't bothered watching tv in weeks but probably will watch it more in winter when I can't get out.

I have Roku but I'm not too interested in watching anything on tv.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,569 times
I cut the cable at age 27 and haven't looked back (33 now).

And to the above poster, I pay $40 for Verizon internet after talking them down on it, and I think that even that is too much. The internet should have been made a public utility.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:48 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
The internet should have been made a public utility.
EGADS, no. Then you would have partisan politics and infighting and quotas and throttles.

What would be better is if anyone who had the ability to be a high speed node could tap in without paying an ISP.
The original idea of DARPANET was a fault tolerant mesh of connections that kept working despite links dropping out.

As to cutting the cable, yeah!
OTA + subchannels is like a time machine to 1960 - 1980 programming heaven. All they need to do is bring back Saturday morning cartoons from 1960s-70s. LOL.

I've also noted that the upscaling feature on 4K TVs does make old SDTV/NTSC look pretty good.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:38 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I've hung on to DirecTV this long simply for the ability to record things and FF the commercials. I don't watch live TV at all. I see several services that have Cloud DVRs, but it says you can't FF all channels. How does that work?
We used to have DTV, now use YouTube TV. Tried Sling for a while, too.

The no fast forwarding is usually just during commercial blocks, though some channels on Sling prevent it all the time (haven't noticed that on YTTV).

On Sling, if you hit fast forward before the commercials start, you can buzz past them. But you have to anticipate the break and have your finger on the button.

On YTTV, the no fast forward channels show how much time is left in the commercial block, and you can do something else, including search for other programs or get a glass of water.

I love watching YouTube (the internet videos, separate from YouTube TV) on the big screen. I have a tv in my studio and like to sew or craft along with the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement