Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 02:05 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Probably not, no one is "average". I have in front of me a bill for an ER visit of my husband's for $9046. This was for coming in for "shortness of breath", sent by the doctor. Adjustments and insurance was $8988. We owe $58. $9000 is a lot of money for about 4 hours in the ER.

Aren't you leaving out the part where the insurance company and the provider agree on a payment a lot less than $8988?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 02:10 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,102,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Aren't you leaving out the part where the insurance company and the provider agree on a payment a lot less than $8988?
Exactly. I’m always amazed about the billing amount and what the insurance actually pays. This leads to many different tests being administered by the Drs or Hospitals to make up for that discount. More procedures = more dollars

Old 01-05-2019, 02:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No. There are three "adjustments on this bill, one for $138.00; one for $109.00 and one (the one we pay) for $58. I'm guessing Medicare, Medicare supplement and our payment.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:16 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,055,755 times
I am always amazed at the difference between how much providers bill Medicare for and how much the "adjustment" is.

A sample breakdown from last year when I visited my ENT for a throat problem after having already met my annual deductible for Part B:

"Established patient office visit, typically 15 mins" = doctor charged $250, Medicare-approved amount $83.43. Amount Medicare paid $65.41. Patient responsbility $16.69

"Diagnostic examination of voice box using flexible endoscope" (took about 10 seconds) = doctor charged $350, Medicare approved amount $134.80. Amount Medicare paid $105.68. Patient responsbility $26.96.

So the originally billed $600 from the doctor was knocked down to $218 by Medicare's rules, out of which they paid 78.3% (thus showing, too, that Medicare does NOT always pay 80% ... depending on where you live.)

Old 01-05-2019, 02:25 PM

8,394 posts, read 4,416,345 times
don'tdon'dondod II
Quote:
Probably not, no one is "average". I have in front of me a bill for an ER visit of my husband's for $9046. This was for coming in for "shortness of breath", sent by the doctor. Adjustments and insurance was $8988. We owe $58. $9000 is a lot of money for about 4 hours in the ER. Just an anecdote, but an example to show that health care is not cheap.

Ya think? Take a look at this: https://www.nationalreview.com/2014/...ichael-tanner/

I agree with this last, and I will remind all the young Libertarians here that is why Medicare was created in the first place! Insurance was very expensive and/or non-existent for the elderly.

National health insurance in western Europe varies by country. The UK's is completely tax supported. (I'm not talking about the supplemental ins. that some buy; I'm talking about what the government provides.) Some countries tax businesses as well as individuals.
Here's a good overview: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Europe

They call it a tax, but if you look into the structure of it, it is in fact structured as an insurance premium. Look in Wikipedia under National Insurance: it is a contributory form of insurance, anyone older than 16 pays contribution if earning more than 162 pounds per week [which most people do unless they are still in school - my remark], and "individuals may also make voluntary contributions to fill a gap in their record and thus protect their entitlement to benefits".

You got it, I surely am obviously a libertarian, but not a young one (59 in a few weeks :-).

Old 01-05-2019, 02:26 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:
No. There are three "adjustments on this bill, one for $138.00; one for $109.00 and one (the one we pay) for $58. I'm guessing Medicare, Medicare supplement and our payment.
OK, I get it now.

Cigna, my insurance company, has in-network agreements with both the clinic I use and Stanford Medical Center, where I get hospitalization and surgery. After a brief hospitalization, I get a "retail" bill of $12,000. $200 is my share. Cigna pays Stanford some amount but it is not $11,800.

I am not yet on Medicare.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:45 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,453,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The problem is larger than medicare - it is all health care insurance.

We can start by saying that insurance is for the unforeseen.
I absolutely agree. That's why there is no such thing as insurance for pre-existing conditions. It is simply welfare and/or redistribution of costs.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:48 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,453,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
don'tdon'dondod II

They call it a tax, but if you look into the structure of it, it is in fact structured as an insurance premium. Look in Wikipedia under National Insurance: it is a contributory form of insurance, anyone older than 16 pays contribution if earning more than 162 pounds per week [which most people do unless they are still in school - my remark], and "individuals may also make voluntary contributions to fill a gap in their record and thus protect their entitlement to benefits".

You got it, I surely am obviously a libertarian, but not a young one (59 in a few weeks :-).
I would say they call it a tax because it's a tax. You can call it "contributory" but if it is a compulsory payment, it is a tax. I can also pay taxes in advance and protect my entitlement to not have my bank account seized for non-payment of taxes.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
don'tdon'dondod II

Here's a more reliable source than Wikipedia: https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/project...how-nhs-funded
"The NHS is funded mainly from general taxation and National Insurance contributions. In 2001, an increase in National Insurance rates intended to boost NHS funding increased the proportion paid for by National Insurance, although general taxation still accounts for around 80 per cent of NHS funding."

You're about 10 years younger than me. I was a teen when Medicare was created (1965) and in late high school when Medicare started paying for hospitalization for seniors (1966). When I was a nursing student (1967-70), there were a lot of hospitalized Medicare patients who had not had much health care prior to Medicare.
https://www.medicareresources.org/ba...y-of-medicare/

Old 01-05-2019, 03:26 PM

53 posts, read 33,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
there is no such thing as insurance for pre-existing conditions. It is simply welfare and/or redistribution of costs.
Agree that that's what it really is. And there are indeed those who would and do take undue advantage. Despite that, I would still argue that covering pre-existing conditions is the right thing to do. Too many people are unlucky to be born with health conditions that in the past would have caused denial of coverage, and there are many others who already have pre-existing conditions or illnesses, even if they did everything "right" health-wise, who lose their jobs and their coverage through no fault of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement