Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 04:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,759,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Be sure you know the rules upfront. There may be restrictions on, for example, having the grandkids over for theweekend.
Good point. I am always amazed at the number of people who move to one and then complain about all the rules. If one does not do due diligence I have no sympathy when it's discovered they can't paint their house purple and whine about it.

This type of community should either have the information on the web (ours does) or have it available at the community.

Read it. All of it. Make sure you understand what's in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 04:57 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,390,399 times
My cousin is in her early 70's and has lived in a 55+ community north of Denver for about three years. She enjoys it and wishes she had moved there sooner. Many of the residents have moved there from out of state so are anxious to make new friends. Currently she is participating in a book club, a bridge club, and a group of women who go to dinner together a couple of times a month. Also attends some of the presentations at the clubhouse on different topics. While my cousin enjoyed living in her previous neighborhood and was friendly with her neighbors, most were younger and too busy with work and children to socialize.

It can be a little grade school ish. For example, one woman in their dinner group is very abrasive so some have decided to informally get together and exclude her. Since this woman lives on the same block as my cousin, it can get awkward. Also I like my privacy and their backyards are open with no fences or walls which bothers me. But I was impressed with her home and neighborhood although the homes are expensive. I don't know about the HOA fee.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:14 PM

78 posts, read 113,837 times
Kayanne, I know that Del Web allows you to have grandchildren to visit. You cannot have anyone under 18 (I think) stay for more than 90 days.
If you decide to buy there, please let us know how you like it as time goes on. Our sister and brother in law are seriously considering moving there from PA in a year or so. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2018, 07:21 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,596,635 times
Early in retirement we bought in a new SFR area. It was lonely! Everyone else was young and working all day. They were all very friendly, but we were simply at different stages of life. After a few years we moved to a 55+. WOW, what a difference! I've never had so many friends and social activities in my whole life. Plus we just love the two pools (one indoor) without the upkeep. I've witnessed NO problems with the HOA and the rules are reasonable for assuring a pleasant environment for all residents.

Last edited by Harpaint; 12-10-2018 at 08:43 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 07:50 PM

284 posts, read 363,149 times
We moved to an active adult community in East TN, but it’s not age restricted. It’s more like a series of smaller neighborhoods than a golf cart type community, so we think it’s the best of both worlds. We have 7,000+ residents from all over the US who for the most part came here to have fun doing all sorts of activities and meeting new friends. I’m 58 and most of our recent retirees are late 50’s to mid 60’s. I’d recommend finding a retirement community that fits your personalities. We have so much fun!

Old 12-11-2018, 12:04 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,795,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Do you any of you have experience (personal or through friends), good or bad, with such communities? Would you say they're a good fit for active people in their late 50s?
kayanne, when I retired just a few months short of two years ago, I moved 1,200 miles from a land of two seasons, (warm/hot dry summer and not-so-hot, sometimes wet summer), to a "55+ Active Community" in the four-season North Idaho, (two inches last night, more tonight). I think the primary reason for moving here is that I would have a built-in community.

The residents here are or all ages and grouped into roughly thirds. One-third are still employed full-time and are rarely seen during the week. They wish that there were more activities in the evenings. One-third are snowbirds and we don't see them all winter. The last third are full-time retired residents. Lots of activities, most centered around the club house or various trips out and about. I am probably one of the more "active" residents, but most of my activities do not occur within the complex.

I like it here and don't expect to move anytime soon. Others are not so happy, for various reasons. That's life! You can't make all the people happy all the time.

If I had a life "do over", would I move here again? Probably. It's working out pretty well for me.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,379,309 times
We've been living in a 55+ for the last eight years and just accepted an offer on our townhouse to close in the spring. We are walking on air. We will be looking to relocate to a traditional neighborhood. Living here is like constantly looking at your future. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone here in their 50s or even 60s. All they talk about are their illnesses and who died. I'm looking forward to being around children again. Children, full-sized dogs and the bustle of real life.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:12 AM

8,801 posts, read 5,099,422 times
55 places.com.....lots of communities in every state, both 55 and over, or not. It will list all homes for sale, and what the community has to offer.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:39 AM

17,363 posts, read 11,335,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
We've been living in a 55+ for the last eight years and just accepted an offer on our townhouse to close in the spring. We are walking on air. We will be looking to relocate to a traditional neighborhood. Living here is like constantly looking at your future. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone here in their 50s or even 60s. All they talk about are their illnesses and who died. I'm looking forward to being around children again. Children, full-sized dogs and the bustle of real life.
I know these communities vary and each one may be different than the next, but what you describe would be very depressing to me. The last thing I want when I retire and move is a constant reminder of my age, LOL.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:54 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,684,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post

You didn't notice the age of the residents before you bought it? We have thousands in their 50's and 60's. Probably over half our residents.

Many full size dogs in mine. The dog park is full of them.

Many of us buy here so we are not around children.

Living in a traditional neighborhood would be like constantly looking at your past. I think it would make people feel older when most are younger than you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement