Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 06:15 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,415,337 times

Advertisements

I don’t miss work Apr thru Dec, but I’d just as soon be working (and getting paid) Jan thru Mar when winter really sets in. But we hope to move south next year, might cure my winter blues.

Even when I first retired, I noticed that I missed the personal relationships more than the work itself. I retired early so literally none of my peers were retired, that doesn’t help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 06:16 AM

314 posts, read 239,037 times
Default ...you only go around once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
At 22 I suggest you find a career that is more enjoyable. Not every day was joyous, but I found a career that had meaning. I worked in healthcare and the outcome of my work helped others. Later I moved up in management and helped improve the quality of services. I took an active interest in managing for the welfare of patients, for the benefit of my organization and for the other employees who worked under me.

You should be able to do better than being bitter and upset and barely getting by. In addition to looking for a more satisfying career you might want to take a look at yourself. You might begin by taking responsibility for the situation you are in and for your unhappiness.
In answer to the OP's question - No.

As to the post I quoted: OP, this is very good advice. Life is too short to waste in an activity that holds very little reward for you. Especially in work that you recognize at such a young age.
Go to a counselor. Not necessarily a career counselor, but one who can help you better understand yourself.
In your present state you could easily end up with the wrong life partner. I think professional counseling will help you go on to the great life you deserve.
Good luck!

Old 12-08-2018, 06:27 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,581,646 times
I did miss working, but not at a profession that I had for many years. During the recession and since, I lost many jobs due to closings and lay offs. In 2015 I became a full-time caregiver and took SS early at 62 because I had to be at home 24/7.
So I had years of not working and when my caregiving role ended earlier this year I took on a part-time contract job, not in that old professional field (done with that!).
I love my job and don't consider it work because it is fun and great people. I like the money too! I am looking for a second job and am going to try driving for Lyft a bit too.
I just love to be out doing stuff and also love the income perks.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:32 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,284,019 times
I loved my work, especially the last project I had before I quit. The politics were what led me to resign at age 61. I haven't looked back. Don't have to set the alarm, don't have to commute in the snow, I can take long vacations without worrying about having enough vacation days left for shorter family visits... I appreciate that my career got me to this point but don't want it back.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:45 AM

6,829 posts, read 3,236,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Nope. Now my time is completely filled with things I have wanted to do for years, and nobody is standing over my shoulder telling me why I should be doing something else!
edit: ditto on how fast time goes. It is amazing.

I worked for a guy who actually did that. I'd be working in the shop and John would sneak up behind me to about a foot away and just observe. If I had turned around fast I would have knocked him over. He said he managed by wandering around. Great guy!

Old 12-08-2018, 06:49 AM

515 posts, read 362,035 times
Default Get counseling

At 22, you have lots of life ahead of you. Go find a counselor and go to therapy. Use your insurance, and spend the money. Find a line of work that fits your personality. It is the most important thing you can do for yourself. I am not kidding, please do this. I am 60, and going into a line of work that did not fit my personality was the biggest working mistake I made. I spent years being unhappy doing work in an environment I was not suited for. I did not understand myself or my strengths and weaknesses, and I paid a heavy price for that.

To your original question, I will not miss working when I retire soon. Working for me has always been difficult especially when I was younger. I did not come from a privileged family, had no connections and was bad at smoozing and kissing up. Therefore I was always at the lower end in jobs and trying to work my way up. I have encountered it all in the workplace from bad bosses and co-workers to companies that thought a 30 cent an hour wage increase is generous. My current company took away our pension last year and replaced it with a 401K. Workers had no say, they just did it. I went out into the working world in 1980, about the time that workers began to lose power. I have never had a union job, and I have always had to attempt to get promotions and salary increases on my own. I think some people are able to navigate this kind of working life but I was not very successful. I was able to invest and save and I will be able to get by I think. But I am looking forward to removing myself from the working world. When somebody asks what I do, I want to say "retired" and leave it at that.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:06 AM

245 posts, read 153,482 times
Hell No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that's putting it mildly.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:25 AM

245 posts, read 153,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Age 68, retired two years. Do I miss working; NOPE. I do miss some of my coworkers. It’s kinda too bad worker friendships end when you leave work, but is just life. My job was fine until the last year. But my career didn’t define me. It simply gave me the mean$ to live my life
I find it interesting that a lot of people say they miss the people they worked with.

Some of the people I worked with were definitely more pleasant than others, but I never thought of any of them as more than minor acquaintances. I didn't really know them as everyone acted fake at work. I have similar feelings towards old coworkers that I do random people out in public. They are irrelevant.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:32 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,581,646 times
I wanted to add that even though I am "working" I am doing it for myself.

Set my own hours, no time clock, no commute, off when I want, no bosses, wear what I want, take my dog along, FREEDOM!

Only way I will ever work again for money.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:34 AM

515 posts, read 362,035 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
I find it interesting that a lot of people say they miss the people they worked with.

Some of the people I worked with were definitely more pleasant than others, but I never thought of any of them as more than minor acquaintances. I didn't really know them as everyone acted fake at work. I have similar feelings towards old coworkers that I do random people out in public. They are irrelevant.

I feel the exact same way about co-workers. Most of the interaction at work is phony and with good reason. It is difficult to know who you can trust and who will betray you if you say anything anti-management. Some co-workers are just jerks and you would never associate with them if not for the work environment. The worst thing about social media like facebook is being "friends" with old co-workers. Over time you become different people and maybe you never knew them that well anyway. It is often best if co-workers are left behind when you change jobs. I could care less about most of my former co-workers. They really were just acquaintances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement