Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 01:50 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,310,265 times

Advertisements

Why can’t they...

Make a colonoscopy prep drink that doesn’t taste like a glass of snot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 03:32 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,276,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Include manuals with electronic devices like they used to. I had to find buy books like
"_______For Dummies" for my new Smart Phone, TV, Tablet, etc. in order to figure out how to work them.
They did develop a watch like that, I have one for travel when I change timr zones a lot. It has hands that point to numbers. I travel with no user manuals. I never met anyone else who had one. Children are amazed by it.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:57 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,182,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Why can’t they...

Make a colonoscopy prep drink that doesn’t taste like a glass of snot!
They already do.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:02 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,182,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Cancer is not one disease, it's many diseases, so there isn't going to be one cure. And you would probably be shocked to find out how much money is being spent trying to find those cures. I have friends who are cancer researchers, and one is an executive, with a doctorate in molecular biology, of a smaller biotech firm that has some very promising immunotherapy drugs in the pipeline; they've spent MILLIONS of dollars and years developing them, but they're still in clinical trials, so the company hasn's made a dime off them yet. Depending on the results of the trials, they may or may not ever see a return on their investment, either.

The idea that people are being made to suffer with cancer to make money is a serious affront to all the hard-working scientists and medical professionals who are devoting their lives to finding cures for it.

It is not just an "affront". People who believe in these stupid sorts of conspiracy theories have other major problems. A great many of us have been involved with research and know others who are. The scientific literature is now online and accessible to anyone.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:22 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,276,991 times
Getting to the moon could have been done by Copernicus,given the right data and a computer with 1/10 of the computing power of this laptop. Its a trivial math problem.

Most of the proposed tasks here would require changing the mindset of 7 billion people and throwing out virtually all the current dogma of economics. A few people have tried, and history has not treated them well.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:32 AM

5,487 posts, read 4,181,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Cancer is not one disease, it's many diseases, so there isn't going to be one cure. And you would probably be shocked to find out how much money is being spent trying to find those cures. I have friends who are cancer researchers, and one is an executive, with a doctorate in molecular biology, of a smaller biotech firm that has some very promising immunotherapy drugs in the pipeline; they've spent MILLIONS of dollars and years developing them, but they're still in clinical trials, so the company hasn's made a dime off them yet. Depending on the results of the trials, they may or may not ever see a return on their investment, either.

The idea that people are being made to suffer with cancer to make money is a serious affront to all the hard-working scientists and medical professionals who are devoting their lives to finding cures for it.

Can't rep you again!! exactly. Progress has been made, look at childhood cancer for example. If they just wanted to make money, why come up with ANY progress?

And don't you think cancer researchers and their families also get cancer? "What, Mom, you have cancer? Sorry, we gotta keep this stuff secret, you'll just have to die."

As a widow to cancer this was one of the most hurtful things we heard. The vast conspiracy.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:49 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,029,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I really thought we would see flying cars like in the Jetsons.
Audi recently revealed its latest prototype:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTePEVCqcA0

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 11-28-2018 at 07:01 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 06:53 AM

8,006 posts, read 7,377,444 times
If they can put a man on the moon why can't they.....

put them all there?

Old 11-28-2018, 06:57 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,029,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would like to see:

- Affordable basic healthcare for everyone, with everyone paying their fair share, and no one becoming bankrupt because of medical bills

- Cures for cancer and Alzheimer's

- An end to keeping the hopelessly terminally ill, those in a pervasive vegetative state, and those over 85 alive by non-natural means. (Btw, I am a senior myself.)

- An end to taxes supporting any adult under the age of 65 who CAN work but chooses not to do so

- The government being more liberal about granting citizenship to immigrants, and until that is accomplished, being much more punitive to employers who hire those who are here illegally.

- The invention and implementation of a removable implant that prevents people who cannot afford large families from having more than one child until they are able to afford another child

- The invention and implementation of tranquilizing implants for those who have been convicted of murder, rape or child abuse

- Government-paid college education available for everyone, but with the number of admissions limited to just anticipated future need for such education and selection of those admitted based only on SAT scores (or equivalent), with no attention given to family wealth or connections, race, or any other criteria

- A major third party that appeals to most moderates, with its focus on pleasing and promoting the middle and working classes

- A society that values people based only on their individual characters and what they have personally accomplished, and an eradication of bigotry based on ancestry, gender/sexuality, religion, etc.

- An end to war

- As little pollution as possible

- No "Third World" countries -- all people everywhere having enough work to be able to afford adequate food and shelter

- Justice dispensed on a completely equal basis -- no special treatment for anyone

(And, yes, I do know that some of the above is VERY radical, and probably impossibly idealistic and unworkable, but you asked, lol!)
Really like all of your points.

Would like to add just one important one - safe and reliable public transportation. That would help with pollution and add a lot of jobs building the infrastructure. And to pay for this remove the tax for corn subsidy from ethanol gasoline and instead switch it to taxing gasoline for all non-commercial vehicles. Maybe then people would use public transport, and not waste so much driving a block to get a gallon of milk!

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 11-28-2018 at 07:11 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 08:10 AM

13,309 posts, read 8,630,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
If they can put a man on the moon why can't they.....?

Cure cancer.

I firmly believe they could but that cancer is such a HUGE money maker and they choose not to release the real cure. I spoke with a professor a few years back and he agreed with me 100%. As he said, think of all the medical practices and pharmaceutical companies that would be out all that money.
I firmly believe that for the last 15 years it's been more a profit ridden project then a resolution to cure cancer. I stopped 9 years ago giving to these causes. Especially when my mom suffered financially because this band aide medicine cost 2k to 4k a month ! I get that many think giving to the cause is an investment...but not when you keep seein no ...zip nada returns! Such misguided folks who contribute thinking that anyone or any entity really wants a cure...they don't! My dil has CA and I will support her..be it thru taking on household chores...watching the grandkids...or running errands...but not a dern cent will go to 'research for a cure or any of these hyped cancer walks'. Keep walking by...I've got 'now' to deal with not another 20 years of donations for a ribbon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement