Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 08:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You've watched too many old TV shows.
TV being the key word. It’s staggering to observe the stark difference between TV of that era with films of that era; two completely different worlds being portrayed.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Things were SO bad back then that 50% of women didn't need to be on anti-depressants apparently..lol
That's an awful large number, if you googled it you would have found that it's not 50%, it's actually 16.5%

Old 03-18-2018, 09:04 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
Men don't do it more often because most don't have the option to, and if they do, women lose attraction to them.

Do women ever stop to think that most men don't "have it all" too?

When women complain about the division of labor in a household when both husband and wife work, they always bring up that the husband doesn't cook, do laundry, etc. Do men complain that their wives don't mow the lawn, change the car's oil, shoveling snow, etc? Actually, some might, but if they do, no one listens or cares. You're a man, you just get to suck it up.
Hah! When I was married, not only did I work full-time and do all the housework and cooking and laundry, I also did all the yard work and snow shoveling as well. My husband always said that he was a "city boy" so those things didn't apply to him. Of course, I was born in the city too, but that didn't matter. He simply refused to do anything that wasn't in his "wheelhouse" of work, computers, flying, or the rescue squad on weekends.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:35 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Hah! When I was married, not only did I work full-time and do all the housework and cooking and laundry, I also did all the yard work and snow shoveling as well. My husband always said that he was a "city boy" so those things didn't apply to him. Of course, I was born in the city too, but that didn't matter. He simply refused to do anything that wasn't in his "wheelhouse" of work, computers, flying, or the rescue squad on weekends.
No longer married to him I guess?

Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You know, here's the real difference, In the early 20th century, every girl grew up knowing all she needed to know. She learned it from her mom, and by taking care of her own younger siblings. The success rate was very, very high. Nearly every woman was successful as a career homemaker. Successful people tend to be happy and contented in their lives and count their blessings.

By contrast, quite a large number girls grow up to be poorly suited to function as 21st century women. Maybe most. They are not in possession of skills, learned in childhood, that smoothly translate into a successfui career. Unsuccessful, or marginally successful people tend to be unhappy and discontented in their li.ves. Take a look arouind you, and you'll see them -- angry and bitter and frustrated. Their dreams pretty well shattered, with little to be proud of.

They were promised too much, and are now just homemakers with a dead-end job, and they don't know how to do that anymore.

But what good are the skills for a career or for being a housewife if you aren't happy in the one you're forced into? I was a product of the 50s and I remember when I was very young how I never wanted to be a housewife like my mom. It wouldn't have mattered how many home skills I learned or how successful I would have been, not liking that role would not have translated into being happy or contented in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The women's movement helped women in some ways, but in many ways it backfired. Today women are often the primary wage-earner, still bear most of the housekeeping and administration burden, and still have the kids and must take care of them (or arrange for them to be taken care of.

By getting rid of the American male from society by vilifying him (in an attempt to make "diverse" groups feel better about themselves), we've ruined both the society and the economy. And the benefits? None that I can see. A woman could always get her revenge on an abusive male in the past when he was asleep, or she could just leave (and be in the same situation all women are in today--supporting herself and any kids she produced).
To understand the American male when it comes to how upset he is about the feminist movement, all you have to do is look at the people opposing gay rights. As soon as society is making a change, those at the top are always scared, thinking they're going to lose power or have to share it. They like the situation they're in already and they don't care if their situation depends on the inequality of others.

"To those who have privilege, equality will always seem like oppression."

Nobody got rid of the American male. What we, as women, got rid of was the feeling that we deserved to be taken advantage of, that we had to put up with men demeaning us, that we couldn't do the things we wanted because someone else, usually a man, made the decision we couldn't for us. We stood up and said enough.

What we ruined was YOUR economy, the male economy and the male society, both being based on women in a position of servitude. And some men will never get over it. Anytime we've improved the life of a class of people, whether it be slaves, gays, or women, the economy and society are going to change to accommodate that. Either you learn to adapt to that change or you can sit by the roadside for the rest of your life, whining about how you don't have the power anymore and wishing the old days were back. Hear me on this, you're the only class that wants the old days back. The rest of us are just as glad they ended.

And a lot of women wouldn't be in the situation of supporting herself and her kids if the father would just man up and help support HIS kids when he needs to. Just because a man can't control his wife in the way that he wants to anymore is no excuse to take that out on the kids. And last time I checked, the ERA aside, it still took two to make a baby.

I'm sorry and appalled so many women don't take advantage of birth control today. But what you're forgetting is that women today DO have the choice of not having any kids. So as a single woman, I may not be chasing after the kids, but I still have to support myself, keep my own house clean, cook, do laundry, mow my own grass, get the oil in the car changed, and take care of the finances. But now when I want to buy myself something nice, make dinner at 9pm instead of 6pm, paint my living room a different color, or spend a weekend to go see an old friend, I don't have to ask anyone's permission.

I spent the first 16 years of my life playing the role of property to a controlling father. I sure as hell never wanted to get married and spend the next 60 years or so playing that same role for a husband. I'm sorry YOU don't like it. I like it just fine, though. And I'm not about to go back into the cage just because some people can't adjust to change or be happy unless they have power over someone else.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:30 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
But what good are the skills for a career or for being a housewife if you aren't happy in the one you're forced into? I was a product of the 50s and I remember when I was very young how I never wanted to be a housewife like my mom. It wouldn't have mattered how many home skills I learned or how successful I would have been, not liking that role would not have translated into being happy or contented in it.

To understand the American male when it comes to how upset he is about the feminist movement, all you have to do is look at the people opposing gay rights. As soon as society is making a change, those at the top are always scared, thinking they're going to lose power or have to share it. They like the situation they're in already and they don't care if their situation depends on the inequality of others.

Nobody got rid of the American male. What we, as women, got rid of was the feeling that we deserved to be taken advantage of, that we had to put up with men demeaning us, that we couldn't do the things we wanted because someone else, usually a man, made the decision we couldn't for us. We stood up and said enough.

What we ruined was YOUR economy, the male economy and the male society, both being based on women in a position of servitude. And some men will never get over it. Anytime we've improved the life of a class of people, whether it be slaves, gays, or women, the economy and society are going to change to accommodate that. Either you learn to adapt to that change or you can sit by the roadside for the rest of your life, whining about how you don't have the power anymore and wishing the old days were back. Hear me on this, you're the only class that wants the old days back. The rest of us are just as glad they ended.

And a lot of women wouldn't be in the situation of supporting herself and her kids if the father would just man up and help support HIS kids when he needs to. Just because a man can't control his wife in the way that he wants to anymore is no excuse to take that out on the kids. And last time I checked, the ERA aside, it still took two to make a baby.

I'm sorry and appalled so many women don't take advantage of birth control today. But what you're forgetting is that women today also have the choice of not having any kids. So as a single woman, I may not be chasing after the kids, but I still have to support myself, keep my own house clean, cook, do laundry, mow my own grass, get the oil in the car changed, and take care of the finances. But now when I want to buy myself something nice, make dinner at 9pm instead of 6pm, paint my living room a different color, or spend a weekend to go see an old friend, I don't have to ask anyone's permission. ...

The crowd roars, at least from where I sit. I doubt there is anything to add.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

I'm sorry and appalled so many women don't take advantage of birth control today. But what you're forgetting is that women today DO have the choice of not having any kids. So as a single woman, I may not be chasing after the kids, but I still have to support myself, keep my own house clean, cook, do laundry, mow my own grass, get the oil in the car changed, and take care of the finances. But now when I want to buy myself something nice, make dinner at 9pm instead of 6pm, paint my living room a different color, or spend a weekend to go see an old friend, I don't have to ask anyone's permission.

I spent the first 16 years of my life playing the role of property to a controlling father. I sure as hell never wanted to get married and spend the next 60 years or so playing that same role for a husband. I'm sorry YOU don't like it. I like it just fine, though. And I'm not about to go back into the cage just because some people can't adjust to change or be happy unless they have power over someone else.
This is actually not true. We didn't ruin men's economy, and there are still many well-paying jobs that are majority men (construction, plumbing, installing flooring, even the majority of CEOs and Wall Street brokers)

What ruined OUR economy was rapid globalization, the loss of manufacturing jobs, changing corporate attitudes about profits vs employee retention and satisfaction, and the decline of unions, among other things. We as women did not ruin anything for men simply by having more opportunities for jobs.

This is not about men versus women or working moms versus SAHM versus those who choose not to have kids at all....we should be on the same side, that all Americans have the equal Constitutionally guaranteed right to pursue happiness, however each of us defines it.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:50 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

What ruined OUR economy was rapid globalization, the loss of manufacturing jobs, changing corporate attitudes about profits vs employee retention and satisfaction, and the decline of unions, among other things. We as women did not ruin anything for men simply by having more opportunities for jobs.

This is not about men versus women or working moms versus SAHM versus those who choose not to have kids at all....we should be on the same side, that all Americans have the equal Constitutionally guaranteed right to pursue happiness, however each of us defines it.
True, good on ya for catching that.

Equality under the law, not yet in the Constitution, but that's all many of us want. I always thought my life was more than its relation to other people's needs/desires, but to my own. Why is that so hard to understand for some?

Old 03-18-2018, 01:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

You got lucky, or you were smarter than the rest of us. My parents sent my brother to college to get a degree in chemistry, they offered me two options; secretarial school or cosmetology.
University tuition was only $60 per quarter and it rose to just $90 per quarter junior year. Very reasonable cost, even when calculating for cost of living and wages at that time.

And plenty of students obtained student loans, grants that didn't need to be paid back, or worked their way thru university.

Many did not depend upon parents to fund attending university.

Giving a female a choice between secretarial school or cosmetology in the 1960's and onward was very backward and lacking in information.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-18-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 01:49 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Study history. REAL history. Not the watered down crap that is peddled in schools today.

The Suffrage movement was sending out questionnaires by mail to get interest from women. Barely any responded. Because women at that time were NOT interested in voting. They didn't want to serve in the military which was directly tied to voting. They didn't want that responsibility. That's a fact. They had the same values as their husbands, one vote/one family. Go research it.

Age has nothing to do with being informed. Do some research. Get informed. It took a tremendous effort to get women interested in voting. It was not a rise up out of the streets organic movement that is portrayed in the state-sponsored *history* books. It was years of deliberate work.
Translation: I'm young, and did most of my "research" on YouTube and biased conspiracy-theory sites.

If I'm wrong, prove it... tell us how old you are (it DOES matter), and where you did this research. Post links to studies from legitimate sources, showing us that the majority of women didn't want the right to vote. Please, I challenge you to prove me wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.