Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:35 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Where are the current studies that ANY natural supplement or substance prevents shingles?

Where?

Those who are espousing the use of supplements vs. a vaccine to prevent shingles need to pony up with well-documented research or studies that prove efficacy at all, or anywhere near that of the vaccine.

Waiting.....
She doesnt need to prove anything. If it works for her thats all that matters. Since there are many, many millions of people over 65 and only 1 million will contract shingles, and only 1% of those will have a serious complication, it's not something to obess over. Risk assessment is not a strong suit of posters here.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You did not read the link, did you? It shows that the lawsuit is based on poor info and probably will not get very far.

https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skep...lawsuit-facts/

We know you are not interested in the science behind vaccines and you are convinced (with no evidence to support that conviction) that your supplements are wonderful.

It's not just a handful here taking vaccines, it's millions around the world. The number taking the vaccine is really irrelevant. That tells us nothing about how safe or effective any vaccine is.
I'm talking about those in this thread. Millions around the world!!! you nor I don't know that..unless you have some inside information. I think your husband is a doctor as I recall, maybe that's where you get your around the world info. And no my science is how my body works and I'm not interested in putting vaccines in my body. And I don't push people the way some do with instilling so much fear. But it's good those who believe in the vaccines are as comfortable with their decisions as they seem to be.

And you are not interested in anything but the so called science. So as with everything in healing ways, we just disagree.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-15-2018 at 07:16 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 07:17 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
It was only approx 16000 that the new vaccine was tested on. Safety/effect hasnt been determined. Not millions around the world taking this one yet. And the number is very relevant.
My post referred to vaccines in general. However, Shingrix has already snared 90% of the zoster vaccine market.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/vaccine...rity-u-s-share

$30 million in sales at the end of 2017 is over 100,000 doses already. It will get into the millions very quickly. It was $150 million in first quarter 2018. That's another half million doses.

The safety and effectiveness can be inferred from that initial 16,000. Unanticipated side effects may show up later, but they are likely to be rare.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm talking about those in this thread. Millions around the world!!! you nor I don't know that..unless you have some inside information. I think your husband is a doctor as I recall, maybe that's where you get your around the world info. And no my science is how my body works and I'm not interested in putting vaccines in my body. And I don't push people the way some do with instilling so much fear. But it's good those who believe in the vaccines are as comfortable with their decisions as they seem to be.

And you are not interested in anything but the so called science. So as with everything in healing ways, we just disagree.
I will stick with the real science. It's not a matter of belief with science.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

DH has nothing to do with my posts here.

You push your favorite supp every opportunity you get! LOL!

Old 05-15-2018, 08:49 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
I will stick with the real science. It's not a matter of belief with science.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

DH has nothing to do with my posts here.

You push your favorite supp every opportunity you get! LOL!
So we're even -- you push yours, I push mine?

Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 AM

Quote:
My post referred to vaccines in general. However, Shingrix has already snared 90% of the zoster vaccine market.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/vaccine...rity-u-s-share

$30 million in sales at the end of 2017 is over 100,000 doses already. It will get into the millions very quickly. It was $150 million in first quarter 2018. That's another half million doses.

The safety and effectiveness can be inferred from that initial 16,000. Unanticipated side effects may show up later, but they are likely to be rare.
Well big pharma must be dancing with joy. So good to feed big pharma.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:04 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,195,111 times
Quote:
She doesnt need to prove anything. If it works for her thats all that matters. Since there are many, many millions of people over 65 and only 1 million will contract shingles, and only 1% of those will have a serious complication, it's not something to obess over. Risk assessment is not a strong suit of posters here.
I thought so. Nothing.

I'll stick with science and proven results.

Before science we had voodoo, witch doctors, sooth sayers, superstition, tea leaves, wives tales, and no awareness of germs or viruses. Yep, it was all good and people had long and healthy lives.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:15 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,686 times
Whether “big pharma” makes money of not (and there are plenty of dead ends, denied approvals, etc that all cost money) is irrelevant. You infer that because anyone makes money on something, then it must be bad. Are the supplements free? Inexpensive?? I GUARANTEE the cost of a lifetime of supplements (making payments to “big supp”??) FAR exceeds what anyone has paid for vaccines! So stop the diatribe about “big pharma”; it makes zero sense, and comes across as infantile.

Nothing cited about vaccines here is “so called science”. It is all just plain real science. Just like there is real science behind the effectiveness of many supplements. The only “so called science” is inferring that because you personally have not experienced something, means it is because of a supplement you take. That is anecdotal at best, misleading at worst.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:28 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Well, it's not "just" one million people that have shingles - there are a million new cases EVERY YEAR. No one here is obsessing. Most people on here state they've gotten the vaccine because they have heard from relatives and friends how painful shingles is - they aren't just imagining it or blowing it out of proportion.

You can obsess over taking all your myriad of supplements, others can assess risk based on facts - each unto his/her own.

I must admit I've always wondered that if the natural way is so much better, why must you "supplement" your natural diet with unnatural amounts of all these substances?

Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, it's not "just" one million people that have shingles - there are a million new cases EVERY YEAR. No one here is obsessing. Most people on here state they've gotten the vaccine because they have heard from relatives and friends how painful shingles is - they aren't just imagining it or blowing it out of proportion.

You can obsess over taking all your myriad of supplements, others can assess risk based on facts - each unto his/her own.

I must admit I've always wondered that if the natural way is so much better, why must you "supplement" your natural diet with unnatural amounts of all these substances?
I dont use any supplements except vit c and im in my 70s. Just lots of outdoor exercise and a good diet, has stood me in good stead. And as I said before I know of no one, friends and relatives who have had shingles. It is not as common as many of you want to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.