Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 10:05 PM

143 posts, read 151,407 times

Advertisements

Is Alzheimers really type 3 diabetes? I think this may be something everyone needs to look in to
http://bigthink.com/devil-in-the-dat...ype-3-diabetes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 10:21 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,887,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
Is Alzheimers really type 3 diabetes? I think this may be something everyone needs to look in to
Alzheimer's Is Type 3 Diabetes | Big Think
I don't know about that BUT I do know that Grape Seed Ex is also known to REDUCE the effects of diabetes.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:26 PM

10,419 posts, read 14,662,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
In another threat I mentioned that dementia may have to do with our current education system, and people thought I was crazy. I could give you a piece of advise; I don't even know if this works but it might help, and since scientists have no clue you may want to try it for a few months and see if that helps. Before bed read fairy tales, legends or the bible.

I won't mention how this might relate to memory, people will just dismiss it as non sense. Take it for what it's worth.
If you had just said to read the bible, I would have dismissed it, but mentioning legends and fairy tales makes it rather different. Perhaps startlingly, I must add philology to the list. I'm aware that anecdotal evidence has little use, but I've noticed that men who are involved in certain sorts of scholarly research, much of which involves mythology as well as folk legends, do tend to enjoy longer than average life spans. Further, they more often than not remain intellectually active until they are seriously failing.

The following men all published works during their lifetimes that are in print today. The last Ovid, published long before the invention of movable type when publishing meant keeping a scriptorium busy. He was one of the first authors printed, however, and has been continuously in print as have the first four. Take a look at their short biographies if you will. There are many intellectual and scholarly similarities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_Grimm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_...u_Gildersleeve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Darling_Buck

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovid

Old 12-18-2017, 11:07 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,524,624 times
I work in the field and have had this question discussed many times and I'd say, no one knows.

Keeping a healthy blood pressure can decrease vascular dementia, most likely. Not all dementias are Alzheimer's.

No one knows. That's my answer after working with dementia.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:28 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,161,809 times
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-alzheimer-s/

Impaired Synaptic Pruning.

They have found evidence of it in the brains of people with Autism & Schizophrenia. It’s now being researched in Alzheimer’s.

They believe that Alzheimer’s is more similar to Autism due to a lack of “pruningâ€, while in Schizophrenia, there is too much pruning.

The cause or trigger for this Synaptic Pruning to go haywire, is starting to look like it may be linked to the immune system.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:06 AM

^^^^^
I wonder... inflammation?

I believe there is some evidence that music/rhythm is one of the last perceptions to deteriorate. For instance, people cannot remember what they had for breakfast, but can sing the words to a familiar song. I saw a similar takeaway for people whose mobility was affected by MS. Of course, anecdotal, but interesting. Sure wouldn't hurt to make sure you sing and dance a lot!

Old 12-19-2017, 02:10 AM

Skimmed the article and am so grateful that anyone is researching and working on these issues- they cause so much suffering.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:24 AM

17,416 posts, read 11,420,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
We are living longer. Back when the average life expectancy was your mid to late 30's dementia caused by old age wasn't really an issue.

I don't know about men, but women are living as much as 50 years beyond menopause. HRT, bioidentical or not, can help women stave off dementia/ALZ.

I suspect men could also benefit from HRT, but, I'm not a man nor an expert on HRT, so, I don't know. It just stands to reason that the cause and benefits for both sexes could lie in hormones.
Yes, people are living longer but not decades longer overall. I know this has been discussed before but if you were a woman back int the 1800s and you survived your childhood and child bearing years, you had a good chance of living to a ripe old age.
Most people didn't die of old age in their 40s and 50s. That's a myth.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:47 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,931,066 times
Many of my older friends and relatives who are or who lived into their 90s, shared one daily habit. Crossword puzzles. Hard ones, not the ones in TV Guide, but NY Times and Washington Post and LA Times Sunday and daily puzzles. A few got into even more maniacal Xwords....Cryptics, often from British newspapers.

Just sayin'

Old 12-19-2017, 05:56 AM

37,350 posts, read 60,121,643 times
Posted a link to article about sleep patterns being suggested as reason older adults have problems with thinking--fuzzy brained--
There is way too much still not know about how the brain really functions psychologically (like the power to create memories that are more "real" than those you actually experienced) and physically--as in diseases like dementia, Alzheimer's, autism...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement