Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:04 PM

10,419 posts, read 14,703,765 times

Advertisements

These folks have posted over two hundred videos primarily treating cars, trains and airplanes in Utah and surrounding states. They have on occasion, however, reach both coasts. They've come to know their area intimately and meet other good folks all over.

People on this forum often tell others to find hobbies, but here is a couple who designed their own. They're doing what they love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhOJ8eseCs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 08:57 PM

There have been 104 views at the time of this post, but not a single response. Are people enraged because there are those who do more than they do? Do those on this forum consider them to be evil? Disgusting? Boring? Racist? Being too active for their age?

Should these people be forced to undergo psychiatric examinations because they're not taking cruises? Not visiting senior centers? Not discussing health issues?

I thought that there would be all sorts of responses. primarily positive.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 PM

14,016 posts, read 21,000,300 times
^^^^ It hasn't been quite 24 hours yet, Happy. Give it a little more time. I think hobbies and activities which are off the beaten track are fantastic. I rather doubt that most participants in this Retirement Forum are as narrow-minded as you speculated above.

There are often way more "views" than posts in most threads.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,208,100 times
Happy --- Hubby and I just watched the video and it was great!! We really enjoyed it. Of course, we already like railroads, so I would have watched it anyway, even without your comments, about, well, no comments!!! I will be checking this site out on Youtub e also. I have seen some wonderful train trips on Youtub e and I highly suggest people check it out -- they have such a huge variety of subject matter on there. From concerts to speeches to roller coaster rides to funerals -- it is all out there!!

Hubby just turned on Rick Steves on PBS, so I'm going to watch that with him. Istanbul, Turkey!!!

Old 07-24-2017, 11:27 PM

44,753 posts, read 62,104,060 times
OP...I just came across this post. I've had posts with only 5-10 responses but 400-500 or more views, probably more out of curiosity than wanting to respond.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:47 AM

8,329 posts, read 8,784,528 times
I am responding to your response. I started watching the video, saw it was something I had no interest in. Why would I respond? I am certainly not enraged that some people enjoy things I wouldn't do if they paid me.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:48 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,605,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There have been 104 views at the time of this post, but not a single response. Are people enraged because there are those who do more than they do? Do those on this forum consider them to be evil? Disgusting? Boring? Racist? Being too active for their age?

Should these people be forced to undergo psychiatric examinations because they're not taking cruises? Not visiting senior centers? Not discussing health issues?

I thought that there would be all sorts of responses. primarily positive.
First of all, this is a video about trains and as such it's great for those who love trains as I do. The only annoyance was the woman's constant "Oh wow's!" and "Right!" and so forth. Didn't need those.

But why were you asking for social commentaries? It's just a nice little video people either enjoyed I suspect if they are train aficionados or didn't if they are not. What on earth does it have to do with the mental health of the people who made this nice little video? Or for that matter the people who watched it?

The only reason I can think of to post this is to show a manner in which a retired couple was having fun doing something they both love. No commentary necessary.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:58 AM

11,180 posts, read 10,602,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

^^^Someone feeling a tad touchy this morning?

I think it's great that seniors take cruises, visit senior centers, discuss health issues, and ride around on trains!
I'm just not interested in discussing or watching videos on those topics, too busy doing my own things: hiking, gardening, road trips. Lately I'm enjoying learning about the local food movement in my neck of the woods - which involves hiking, gardening, and day trips to farmers markets and co-ops, small-owned farms, and farm-to-table restaurants.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
First of all, this is a video about trains and as such it's great for those who love trains as I do. The only annoyance was the woman's constant "Oh wow's!" and "Right!" and so forth. Didn't need those.

But why were you asking for social commentaries? It's just a nice little video people either enjoyed I suspect if they are train aficionados or didn't if they are not. What on earth does it have to do with the mental health of the people who made this nice little video? Or for that matter the people who watched it?

The only reason I can think of to post this is to show a manner in which a retired couple was having fun doing something they both love. No commentary necessary.
I was hoping that it would inspire some comments from others who wished to talk about things like local travel, learning the history of an area, and the joy of doing new things without the need to spend much money or be far from home. These two are not the average retired couple.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:40 PM

5,952 posts, read 5,151,620 times
^^^^^^^^ As others have mentioned, give it more time.

Trains are wonderful and I hope to take a touring ride sometime.

But they are not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement