Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:53 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,066,929 times

Advertisements

Declining eyesight that will lead to blindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 AM

535 posts, read 344,137 times
40's was still playing soccer, skiing, and doing a lot of exercise. We traveled a little domestically. I worked part time and took care of our two children, husband, and FIL, who had had 3 major strokes and a heart bypass. He came to live with us wearing a diaper and was a total lift. He ended up living with us for 8 years and improved with PT and OT. My father died at 68 and buried my MIL. She died at 61.

50's Diagnosed with cancer and had a hysterectomy. Doctors finally figured out the the numbness in my hands and feet was cervical spine problem of unknown diagnosis. After arguing with each other for a year a couple of doctors decided that I had MS and a couple of other neuros thought I had a cervical spine injury that was caused mechanically. I had to decide what I thought it was and went for the neck surgery. The difficult decision saved my mobility. Then my knees started to give out. Had meniscus repair on both knees.... High BP......Tried to ignore obvious problems by continuing to work part-time and going on trips. Went on a cruise to the mediterranean in Europe. Went to Hawaii to visit family members 3 times. Visited several states. Cared for my mother who was in her 80's. Put two children through college.

60's Every bone in my body aches. I am in pain and need a total knee replacement on my right knee. I finally got one at 62. Feeling better everyday. Husband retired last year with a pension from work. I am still working part time as a teacher because it keeps me busy and I enjoy it. Am torn between working at a job I love and getting to stay home with my husband, travel more (which takes more money), and hanging out more with friends.....a few of which are dying off.

My mother died and I am fighting for my share of our mother's estate because a couple of my siblings think that they are entitled to everything. Hired a lawyer as his is the only "language" that they understood. Mark Twain once said: "You don't know who your siblings are until you have gone through Probate." Something like that. No kidding. I feel good about stopping them in time before they ripped the rest of us off.
I wonder how long I will live, because my dad died of a heart attack (after TWO bypass surgeries) at the age of 68. My MIL died at 61 from lung cancer, and my mother lived a great life until 92. Do I feel lucky??? Wanting to spend more time with my husband and told him so. We are working on that. Daughter wants to have a baby, but no luck. Our son is planning on asking his GF to get married soon. Happy about that. Maybe he will move home to our state.

I realize that time is running out and I need to travel before I can no longer do so physically. We went on a Alaskan cruise and loved it. Recovering from total knee replacement surgery while planning our next trip. Need to save for it first. New Zealand perhaps? I am 62 and thinking about claiming Social Security early.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:12 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,375,935 times
I'm newly 68 and I'm more in a rush than ever, trying to get it all in. I've got the world to see yet.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:52 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,079,374 times
Someone once told me that 55 is when you start to notice things changing. I can see it approaching with subtle, but noticeable issues.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 AM

77 posts, read 54,038 times
What I use to do all night now takes me all night

Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,575,448 times
Back up to 2015, when I was working a floral delivery job at age 60, I was feeling pretty good. Lots of energy and good muscle strength. I've always been active, but no athlete. But I was also happy then working at the job and my personal life was pretty good.
In late 2015 my SO had strokes and I became a full-time caregiver and could not work outside the home. My life became very physically and emotionally stressful as a caregiver. Now at age 63 I am losing stamina, flexibility, and overall strength. I am concerned about my health and my potential capacity to live my remaining years, however many there are left after my SO passes. In my case the emotional stresses and the not being as physically active as I was when working or being free to go out and play golf, hike, ride a bike, has really done a number on my health.
I am trying to set a plan to regain my health that I lost as a caregiver so far. It's not easy coping with it all but I have to somehow keep on keeping on.
Stress and inactivity are killers, for sure. So I am working on developing ways to build my body back up again through nutrition, exercise, stress management, and supportive counseling.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 AM

35,106 posts, read 31,381,963 times
Still a good ways away from 50, but going off the family...

1) Generally a big limit in mobility. My grandmother, who is 82 now, went from walking a couple miles for exercise most days in her early 70s to walker-bound with knee issues over the last few years. She had a knee replacement last week. We'll see how it goes.

2) The other grandmother is in her early 80s and has had a marked decline in memory and cognitive function over the last couple of years. She sometimes calls me by another grandson's name. We look nothing alike. He's a small guy. I'm muscular from all the lifting years with a beer belly. Other than buzzed hair (different colors), we look nothing alike, and he's twelve years younger than me.

My parents just turned 60 last year. Mom has gained weight since 50 and has a blood disorder that probably wasn't present at 50. She's always been big with a poor diet.

Dad has gone from a sedentary desk job to factory work this year. He's lost about 30 pounds and looks better than he has in years.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:08 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,211,825 times
There was a huge difference between 50 and 60. Breast cancer 2 years ago and now side effects of meds plague me and I’m in constant pain in my joints and muscles. I’m on these meds two more years . I don’t let this stop me with my art studio work, walking and swimming, travel and squeezing as much joy out of each day. I have a life to live and live it I will.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:07 PM

310 posts, read 203,214 times
At a later stage of life (61) I've been finishing a major dental seige in which I'll have mostly dental implants, plus a few denture inserts. After a lifetime of dental issues I'll have an anchorperson-style set of dazzling choppers. For many reasons none of it was possible until now. Knock wood, I hope this will be my main health story for a long while. I value being able to walk and drive no differently than twenty years ago. However, my biggest concern is I don't seem to have the effortless energy to muster as before. It may be psychological. The impulse to be always actively running about is fading when the temptation of a nap beckons. Naps are good, but not too many.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:21 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,120,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
At a later stage of life (61) I've been finishing a major dental seige in which I'll have mostly dental implants, plus a few denture inserts. After a lifetime of dental issues I'll have an anchorperson-style set of dazzling choppers. For many reasons none of it was possible until now. Knock wood, I hope this will be my main health story for a long while. I value being able to walk and drive no differently than twenty years ago. However, my biggest concern is I don't seem to have the effortless energy to muster as before. It may be psychological. The impulse to be always actively running about is fading when the temptation of a nap beckons. Naps are good, but not too many.

That sentence is exactly what I feel..... only did not know how to put it in words. Effortless energy. Oh, I had so much of it at one time. Darn I miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement