Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:07 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,094 times

Advertisements

Always worked. Typical baby sitting, lawn and yard work jobs from 6th grade until high school, then after school and regular summer jobs all through high school and college. Had 5 different employers as an engineer, (current one twice) always to the next from the other for advancement. Never laid off, never fired. Always been in demand like many engineers. Will have 46 years with SS income, 38 at max amount, when I retire from full time paid from someone else for work that I enjoy in 3 years at 62. May go part time after that. I like being productive and making money. Retirement will just allow me to do it totally on my own terms.

Last edited by Perryinva; 01-16-2017 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 08:12 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Worked in high school. Never went to college.
Took a 2 year break because I was burned out at age 32. I flew sailplanes and coached Little League, but after that I went back to work.

I did well, and retired at age 66.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:13 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
I worked as a union electrician in my family's business for almost 20 years before going back to school, getting my degree, and changing careers. I worked another 20 years in the legal profession after that.

There were a few periods of unemployment for one reason or another, but work was pretty steady over the years. I retired in early December, 2016 at age 62 and let me just say that it was time. I had a good run but was sick of the rat race and the daily grind. I could afford it, and though it's only been a month, I love every minute so far.

It is such a huge relief to have the freedom and to not have the stress anymore.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:54 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Mother dragged me to the state employment office when I was 15 and signed the parent approval for me to work. I had already been babysitting since about age 8. She would accept babysitting jobs for me (!!!) and I always had siblings to care for (no pay for that, of course).

She wanted me to know the "value" of work. Interestingly, she STOPPED working in her 20's when babies started arriving. There are 7 of us.

I never obtained a degree... tho I tried. Paying the bills and work - won out over school.

I have worked continuously. Only break was for the times I needed surgery (5 or 6 times - 6 week breaks) and then 18 months between my last employer and my current employer. I chose the break and to leave the former employer. The taste of freedom I gained in those 18 months was enough to motivate me to find work that would propel me to having more of it - when I reached 65.

My mother will be happy to know I DO know the value of work.... and will retire in about 2 years - just after I turn 65.

Oh edited to add: I have only been laid off once. Found work within 3 weeks. Never been fired.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:58 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
Like so many here I worked from the time I was a kid. Went to college at night and never stopped working until retirement.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:00 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I worked as a secretary for about a decade (wasn't emotionally capable of going to college after high school). After that I did go to college. Was always on work-study as a college student; it was part of my financial aid package.

Then I was an engineer. Lay-offs are part and parcel of an engineering career. I was laid off several times. After one lay-off which happened during a recession, I was out of work for nearly a year (my then husband was still working so I wasn't left destitute).

Old 01-16-2017, 09:21 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
i worked as a secretary for about a decade (wasn't emotionally capable of going to college after high school). After that i did go to college. Was always on work-study as a college student; it was part of my financial aid package.

Then i was an engineer. lay-offs are part and parcel of an engineering career. I was laid off several times. After one lay-off which happened during a recession, i was out of work for nearly a year (my then husband was still working so i wasn't left destitute).
Absolutely. Sometimes engineers can get rehired within a week or two, during recessions it can take months or even over a year.

Last edited by pvande55; 01-16-2017 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Add lines

Old 01-16-2017, 09:26 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Yes many breaks after college, some were intentional and some were not. I view them as time to recharge.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:28 AM

105 posts, read 121,319 times
Great replies so far.

What I think is very interesting is how many of you worked non stop without a break due to a layoff or termination throughout your career. I was fired three times and laid off four times during the 40 years I was in the workforce. (Now part time semi retired.) After each employment termination it took me an average of six months to find a new job. So in those forty years I was out of work about 36 months.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:30 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
sAbsolutely. Sometimes engineers can get rehired within a week or two, during recessions it can take months or even over a year.
I guess it depends on the type of engineer and where you live. I know hundreds of engineers. None I know of been laid off or had any trouble finding a job. I've had headhunters contact me for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement