Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 03:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
We live in an area where there is a good mix of permanent residents and snowbirds As we are full time residents, we do a lot of things for our neighbors who have two homes.

First, we drive many of our neighbors to the airport and pick them up from the Tucson airport. We use their vehicle and hold the keys while they are gone. In return, they allow us to use their vehicle occasionally in the area and in turn, we start up the vehicle at lease every couple of weeks and make sure that the car is filled and washed prior to their return to this area. For those who don't leave a vehicle behind, a lot of the permanent residents will use their parking space. This keeps potential thieves from identifying which houses are unoccupied for periods of time.

Second, we are the "forwarding service" for two of our neighbors. We pick up the mail a couple times a week, toss the junk mail, hold the periodicals, and forward the 1st class material. In this day and age, the amount of first class is minimal as most people sign up for the "on-line billing"

I would agree with you about the USPS mail forwarding. It was taking two or three weeks for mail from Chicago to reach us in Tucson and I do not think that we ever received all of the mail that we should have.
On the mail forwarding, if you charge, what do you charge? I am contemplating asking a neighbor to do this but I insist on paying, just want to know the going rate. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 03:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
We are in the process of buying a condo in the mountains of NC (not my first or even second choice) and will just close it up when we aren't there.

We don't want to rent it because I don't want to deal with flying with luggage.

We can almost book same day airline tickets on Allegiant for usually less than $100 each.
You can set up a locked closet and / or a locked cabinet in a home you also rent out on occasion. One condo we used had 4 locked cabinets and 4 locked cupboards for each of the 4 time share owners. We don't fly with clothes in our luggage, just 'barter' frozen food. Coolers of PNW Salmon flies free on SWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
On the mail forwarding, if you charge, what do you charge? I am contemplating asking a neighbor to do this but I insist on paying, just want to know the going rate. Thx.
My commercial forwarder charges $10/month + postage.(they sort the junk and I leave postage page mailers.). I have 12 properties and 6 LLCs / businesses, and a lot of car insurance policies, so lots of mail.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:55 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, I'm not sure how this is gonna work out...but we currently have THREE houses.

One (main) in Western New England, one (condo) in Coastal RI and one in sunny Florida.

None are rented at all.

In the months of May-Oct we go back and forth from RI to MA (2 1/2 hours), so there is no problem of handling them since they don't sit vacant for long periods. We always shut off the water - of course - because I am paranoid about such things!
So when you turn off the water in the New England homes, do you just turn off the main and drain from all the faucets? Or is there some other procedure involved? Do you leave water in the toilets? Do you leave the heat on?

Just asking because I now live in VT and want to know how much of a hassle it is if I want to go away for a few weeks in winter. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:51 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We do not charge our neighbors other than the cost of postage. The ones involved do a lot of things for us that we do not pay them for.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You can set up a locked closet and / or a locked cabinet in a home you also rent out on occasion. One condo we used had 4 locked cabinets and 4 locked cupboards for each of the 4 time share owners. We don't fly with clothes in our luggage, just 'barter' frozen food. Coolers of PNW Salmon flies free on SWA

Funny you mention that.

We found a house we want to make an offer on in Wolf Laurel and since it is a little more than we want to spend, my BIL is talking about roughing in an owners 'room' on the downstairs level (it sits on the side of a mountain and you walk into the second floor from the driveway but the first floor/basement is a walkout). That way we can put a separate fridge and freezer in there along with a food pantry and space for our ski stuff and cold weather gear. There is already one kitchen on that level (and one on the main level) so building it would not be an issue.

I'm just not sold on the mountains but my husband and his sister want a place in the mountains where the entire family can gather.

The third floor/loft is a bunk room that will sleep about fifteen.

We shall see and thank you for your advice!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Funny you mention that.

I'm just not sold on the mountains but my husband and his sister want a place in the mountains where the entire family can gather....!
Yeah, lots of concessions with no perfect spot.

One of us like mtns, one beach,
One camping, other not
One flying, one driving
One city, one country
One reading and no tv, one always wants movie night...

So... life goes. And I have been well informed ... "choose your battles, very carefully... you won't win them all" Actually...I may not win any

Second / third home can mitigate the location thing. But we spend quite a bit of time apart (usually doing eldercare, or PT gigs, or helping friends.). Honeymoons are frequent and great

Multiple dwellings, ... Probably a doable, and possibly a financially beneficial event, pre-age 75 to 80. Not sure I will ever 'roost', as I have lived in some great places. (Grew up on a ranch near Estes Park, CO). Company assignments in rural Japan, Singapore, Barcelona, Swiss Alps, Thailand, Malaysia. Personal long term stays in British Columbia (Thetis Island), PNW, Wyoming, San Diego.

Many ways to experience multiple dwellings. Shared Ownership / co-op / LLC is one I would like to explore. Nice rural farm in Spain, France, or Italy with multiple residences, and full time caretaker. A homeschool family from Oregon was arranging sales like these. 'A working vineyard timeshare / business enterprise' +/ - certainly not desirable for those who define retirement as Golf.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:50 AM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm sure it's easier and cheaper for everyone to rent. But some people choose to buy, so they must have their reasons.

2nd homes can be like boats .

the happiest day is the day you buy it and the day you sell it .

Old 01-16-2017, 08:03 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMaeB View Post
My mom has a second house and she rents it out.

I'd like to have a second home and I think I'd rent it out whenever I wasn't using it on AirBNB or Homeaway.
Recognize that you would then be operating a business -- with everything that entails. Make sure you have the appropriate type of insurance. You might be better off owning the property inside an LLC or trust (or an LLC inside a trust). Make sure you have all the appropriate business licenses and business insurance.

Operating a business is not as simple as just collecting rent.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:50 AM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
insurance is a biggie .

using your regular homeowners has big implications including if anyone steals anything you are not covered . i learned the hard way

Old 01-16-2017, 09:17 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
And homeowners insurance is way different if your place is vacant. We found THAT out the hard way. Burst pipe---no coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement