Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:04 AM

30 posts, read 23,100 times

Advertisements

That's a wonderful Indian saying and explanation of a state of Happiness! Though so majority of people have and will have great difficulties to understand that simple relationship between gratitude and deeper kind of happiness. The cause of it is self-importance. Fragile ego - separateness will not allow to be open minded enough to leave self behind and focus on others first. Without judgments, superstitions, dogmas... Without personal development curriculum in kindergartens and schools it's close to impossible to teach general public about such matters. We are so unaware that we're unaware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 01:04 PM

16,200 posts, read 7,163,461 times
Quote:
I don't see the point in the question. It's just another way to punish people for reacting normally to negative conditions, as far as I'm concerned - or at least opens the way for people to do so.
On the contrary wondering if happiness is really a choice acknowledges that it is somewhat an unrealistic goal. But I see your point in the way people who have not achieved that "happiness" are held responsible for their own condition.

Quote:
I think society has many ways for making people feel inadequate if they are not happy all the time. We are bombarded with ads for things that, if only we owned them, would make us happyhappyhappy forever and ever and ever.
I agree. It is not just material things but the belief in the necessity of friends to make and keep one happy. Joy or sense of contentment is the normal human state. it comes from inside of ourselves and each of us have to find our own way to release it that joy and contentment. As long as we look outward, and others, to achieve it we will always be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement