Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:35 PM

5,585 posts, read 6,515,763 times

Advertisements

I have been blessed by 2 part-time jobs that I work pretty much whenever I want. I am the Sexton at my church (read: Janitor) and work Monday through Thursday anywhere from 2-4 hours, usually between 10am-2pm. I also work for a good friend who is a Real Estate Agent/Property Manager who works out of her home office. I process the monthly Property Management rents and paperwork for the owners. Between the 2 I bring in a minimum of $500.00 a month extra, which I use for fun "extras."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 09:44 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,947,467 times
Retired 5 years ago with a generous pension but still young enough that I have to pay for my health insurance. Found a very flexible, part time job where I submit my availability and am usually scheduled for 10, 4 hours shifts per month on days I said I was available to work. Visitor's Center receptionist; interacting and helping people find things in the area, disseminate maps and brochures, answering phones, and keeping the calendar of events up to date.

Also work as an independent contractor for a company that makes custom window treatments and upholstery. They call when they have a large project, and if I'm available I'll go to the workshop and help out or pick up the "job" and do the work in my own home.

I'm working to get out of the house, as well as interact with people~the fact that I get paid is a bonus.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
I work for travel Benefits. 2 yrs PAID overseas travel was nice, and is now covering my one yr RTW freedom / HC search by providing travel perks / points.

Money seems to be helpful too. I like to give lots of money and time away. (and air tickets too) Our neighbors had not been able to see relatives for many yrs, so they got free tickets and really appreciated their summer ventures.

I like to learn new things that I can use to help others in International destinations (and next door), I wish I were able to serve a few more apprenticeships. (I don't think that type of 'abuse' would work for 'older' people today...)

There are a lot of very fun jobs. I try to engage working seniors in conversations about why / what they are doing working. Many are 'scraping' by... $2,000/ month HC insurance... or spousal care, or suffering from spousal impoverishment due to previous SO spending all the ASSETS on HC.

I meet many who are having a great time working (airport shuttle / uber / taxi / truck drivers, National Park contractor staff and volunteers / workampers / ).

Some of us have skills that are getting REALLY tough to find. When I work... I ONLY like to work night shift (As I have all my life), there are too many things to do during the day to burn daylight by WORKING!.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:51 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
We have a lot in common. I, too, have a sit-down, part-time job myself that also averages about 16 hours/week, 3 or 4 hours at a time, although I have no set schedule or hourly wage. Sometimes I may go to work in the morning from 8 or 9am until noon; or if I have plans for the day, I may go at night from 8 or 9pm until midnight. I've even been known to do the midnight to 4am shift, lol. It just depends upon how I feel and what other things/events are going on in my life on any particular day. Here is my schedule and pay so far in August:

Mon., 8/01: 3.3 hrs. $654
Wed., 8/03: 2.8 hrs. $101
Thu., 8/04: 1.5 hrs. $195
Mon., 8/08: 3.1 hrs. $129
Wed., 8/10: 2.3 hrs. $ 85
Thu., 8/11: 3.5 hrs. $238
Fri., 08/12: 3.1 hrs. $208
Sun., 8/14: 1.6 hrs. $338
Mon., 8/15: 3.5 hrs. $188
Wed., 8/17: 2.7hrs. $155
Thur., 8/18: 3.8 hr. $ 82
Fri., 08/19: 4.8 hrs. $503
Sun. 8/21: 2.1 hrs. $236
Mon. 8/22: 5.4 hrs(-$595)
Thu. 8/25: 4.4 hrs. $117
Fri. 08/26: 4.0 hrs. $386

Subtotal for Month: 51.9 hrs. $3,020 ($58.19/hr.)

Sun. 8/28: 4.0 hrs. $825

Updated Subtotal for Month: 55.9 hrs. $3,855 ($68.96/hr.)

Tomorrow will be my final work day of the month as I have other plans for Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm going to try to crack the $4k mark for the first time.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:18 PM

16,099 posts, read 10,766,542 times
When I retired I made a list of projects and things I needed to do at home that I thought would take a long time. It took 90 days -- because I really wasn't retired. So I found a part-time job and ended up enjoying it more than my career work (no hiring or firing, no meetings, no supervising, different weekly projects, public service). I had a four day weekend every week. It paid only pocket money but that was fine. Great coworkers helped. I did that for seven years and made a contribution to the community in the process.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
I have been working for Williams-Sonoma off and on for years. The money is nothing but add in the 40% employee discount and I have been able to get a lot of high quality 'stuff'. For the first time in my life I have real pots and pans, a set of dishes, and silverware that matches! And amazing knives too. I've always been a kitchen wizard. It's nice to be able to share my knowledge with others. It's more fun than work! And it's good exercise!

Old 08-29-2016, 05:36 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,601,261 times
I might work just to have something structured to do, except we want to travel. And we want to do it now, when we're still young enough to enjoy it more. We typically take off with our RV for a couple of months at a time, and we do that a few times a year.

We warned our volunteer supervisors that we would be doing this, and they have no problem with it. (One said, "I'd be disappointed if you didn't!").

Old 08-29-2016, 05:57 PM

368 posts, read 367,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I will drive for Uber. I too will need to get out of the house and I love to drive and talk to people. The totally flexible hours is what is the more appealing part.
I do the same out here in SoCal. Just in the morning,it's the busiest time, except when the bars close,which I have no intention of doing. EASY money,right into the bank every Wednesday.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:09 PM

368 posts, read 367,005 times
I also do background work (extra) on movies,tv shows and commercials. I'm union,so it pays 162.00 for 8 hours. Most times you work less than 8,but always paid the 162. Also OT over 8. Fed well,meet nice people,and work around lots of "unnamed" stars. Lots of down time,so my kindle gets a lot of work. Easy money.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 AM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have been working for Williams-Sonoma off and on for years. The money is nothing but add in the 40% employee discount and I have been able to get a lot of high quality 'stuff'. For the first time in my life I have real pots and pans, a set of dishes, and silverware that matches! And amazing knives too. I've always been a kitchen wizard. It's nice to be able to share my knowledge with others. It's more fun than work! And it's good exercise!
That's nice, to get a discount at a place that has stuff you want. I knew someone else who did the same thing at a furniture store. That's he got new furnture--worked, got the discount, and bought it with his wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement