Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 05:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,015,169 times

Advertisements

I hope the mods allow this thread to be kept here.

I've given up on the sweaty noisy gym environment. I've purchased weights and already have a mini trampoline that provides a great no-impact workout.

I just bought a stationery bike for about $350. It's comfortable and ultra quiet, and it has a tray in front for a laptop or work station. It's not dual action though (no moving arm bars). It is portable.

It feels safe for my ability level....but...the resistance is poor, even on the highest setting.

I know you get what you pay for. However, I'm wondering who has a stationery bike in this price range and how it works for you. I don't like many of the standard bicycle seats and do not like recumbent positions on a bike (had to throw the last 3 words in to avoid the jokes).

Any other equipment you'd recommend that's both effective and safe for someone nearly age 70 who's not an athletic type?

(One poster here has already given me one good suggestion; I welcome others)>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:39 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,674,247 times
I like Tony Little's Gazelle. Less than $100. Quiet. Folds up and out of the way.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:56 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,379,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post

I've given up on the sweaty noisy gym environment. I've purchased weights and already have a mini trampoline that provides a great no-impact workout.

I just bought a stationery bike for about $350. It's comfortable and ultra quiet, and it has a tray in front for a laptop or work station. It's not dual action though (no moving arm bars). It is portable.

It feels safe for my ability level....but...the resistance is poor, even on the highest setting.

I know you get what you pay for. However, I'm wondering who has a stationery bike in this price range and how it works for you. I don't like many of the standard bicycle seats and do not like recumbent positions on a bike (had to throw the last 3 words in to avoid the jokes).

Any other equipment you'd recommend that's both effective and safe for someone nearly age 70 who's not an athletic type?

Walking 5 miles a day outdoors at a brisk pace is great and costs nothing.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,608,706 times
I cannot imagine bouncing on or doing a running or walking motion or knee lifts or whatever one does on a mini-trampoline, at my age! I'm sure I'd bounce off, smash onto the floor, and smash up my bones or twist an ankle or leg, and hurt myself for sure!

I like weights and have some at home.

And large rubber resistance bands seem like a very good idea. I've been meaning to try some. Easy to buy at Amazon.com.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-08-2016 at 10:11 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Walking 5 miles a day outdoors at a brisk pace is great and costs nothing.
Yes, and I used to, but I have longstanding venous insufficiency and with swelling long walks are not possible. Thus, the gym.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I cannot imagine bouncing on or doing a running or walking motion or knee lifts or whatever one does on a mini-trampoline, at my age! I'm sure I'd bounce off, smash onto the floor, and smash up my bones and hurt myself for sure!
Actually, the light jogging is great for my condition, as I cannot do impact on hard surfaces. It was recommended by my vascular doc years ago. I don't jump high, just a light jog to break a sweat. No impact on joints, and it's great for the vascular and lymphatic systems. Some of these have hand bars to hold onto for balance.

I'm looking for a few more pieces to outfit my home gym. (I didn't find the elliptical safe, for me, it's much too strenuous.) Anything besides weights for upper body?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:57 PM

306 posts, read 417,702 times
Have you tried TRX? Or do you have a exercise ball? You can buy trx setups that use your door; I bought a hook and use the wall instead, they give a good full body workout as does the exercise ball. Either one or both would be a good compliment to your weights and bike

Old 06-08-2016, 10:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,608,706 times
for upper body & other body parts - rubber resistance bands - buy at Amazon.com or Target or Target.com

and 10 or 15 pound weights for upper body - shaped like mini-barbells also at Amazon.com or Target

if you became stronger at some point, you could switch to 20 pound weights.

I find 10 pound weights to be plenty.

also ankle weights which you velcro strap around your ankles and lay down and do leg lifts

my balance is not good, so I'm sure I couldn't do mini-trampoline

Last edited by matisse12; 06-08-2016 at 10:36 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,674,247 times
Quote:
Anything besides weights for upper body?

On the Gazelle, you can use your legs or your arms to move yourself, and lean forward or backward to work different parts of your body.

Be careful with the bands if you have shoulder or hand problems.

I like the balance ball (the one you sit on) for strengthening the core muscles. Be sure you get the right size.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:17 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,279,025 times
Quote:

I recently bought a Nautilus U616 exercise bike for about $400, and it works just fine. It is fairly heavy duty, so it stays very stable in use. It isn't for hard use, if you are into maxing out your routine I wouldn't recommend it, but for a moderate use machine it isn't bad. They make a model that is similar with less gadgets, called the U614 model.

I've also used a rowing machine for an extended period of time, a very good overall exercise machine. In this price range I'd say that the Stamina Air Rower isn't bad, again for moderate use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Q7SD15M4CHMF97

https://www.amazon.com/Stamina-Air-R...rowing+machine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement