Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:29 AM

22,128 posts, read 13,151,603 times

Advertisements

At various points in all these years leading up to retirement, I could have told you with absolute certainty exactly what I wanted to do - and exactly where - when that time finally comes. Granted, my plan kept changing, but that was as I did more research and refined my plan. I felt I was just getting more and more zeroed in on the perfect use of those years, the perfect destination, and the perfect allocation of my precious nest egg. Now that I'm less than two years away - possibly even less than a year - panic is setting in...

It seems that for every essential need that would be fulfilled with a certain plan, other essential needs wouldn't be, and I'm more and more undecided as to what I should do at that point. Has anyone else experienced this? I notice that most of my contemporaries really have no option, or feel that they don't, or have only a limited choice; their futures are determined by home, family, roots, friends, a spouse continuing to work or not wanting to relocate, grandchildren, aging parents, etc. In my case, it'll be entirely up to me; I have the freedom and resources to buy a place and move anywhere. It's hard to choose when your choice is unlimited!

Are there "retirement counselors"?

Last edited by otterhere; 04-25-2016 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 10:46 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,197,589 times
"Retirement counselors" would be so welcome. Of course there are always lots of opinions on forums, but I wish there was a huge nationwide database, kind of like the census results plus the a quality of life (for your own lifestyle choices) indicator. A huge complicated algorithm thingie like Watson. Then if it spit out a place and you were like "no way!" you could see what you were missing out in your list of preferences. Of course it is so hard to put a number value on tolerances. For example it your Aunt Gertrude used to smother you with her hugs when you were a babe, you might totally hate to live somewhere where hugging was the common form of greeting. No complex algorithm or counselor would think to ask you about that.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:48 AM

Exactly; someone invent that. Quick!

Old 04-25-2016, 11:03 AM

9,329 posts, read 16,705,442 times
You might consider making several plans. AFA where to live, wherever you choose, first rent or stay for at least a month before buying. I think too many people consider the financial aspect of living somewhere, rather than look at all the other reasons for living in an area. First and foremost should be, "what am I going to do there?" "hobbies?" "culture"? "entertainment?" "friends", etc. You could move to a wonderful locale and be bored to death.

I also believe after working all our lives and a change, such as retirement, can make us panic or question ourselves.

Also I don't believe a "counselor" or anyone else for that matter can tell us what's right for us specifically. We need to decide that for ourselves.

I know several people, mostly doctors, who don't have any plans to retire because they wouldn't know what to do. Very sad.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:03 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,319,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
At various points in all these years leading up to retirement, I could have told you with absolute certainty exactly what I wanted to do - and exactly where - when that time finally comes. Granted, my plan kept changing, but that was as I did more research and refined my plan. I felt I was just getting more and more zeroed in on the perfect use of those years, the perfect destination, and the perfect allocation of my precious nest egg. Now that I'm less than two years away - possibly even less than a year - panic is setting in...

It seems that for every essential need that would be fulfilled with a certain plan, other essential needs wouldn't be, and I'm more and more undecided as to what I should do at that point. Has anyone else experienced this? I notice that most of my contemporaries really have no option, or feel that they don't, or have only a limited choice; their futures are determined by home, family, roots, friends, a spouse continuing to work or not wanting to relocate, grandchildren, aging parents, etc. In my case, it'll be entirely up to me; I have the freedom and resources to buy a place and move anywhere. It's hard to choose when your choice is unlimited!

Are there "retirement counselors"?
Sounds normal. Your "needs" change as time goes on.

I used to want to live forever, so my plan was to move to the Medical Center area of the large city north of me. Now - whatever. 75-80 and I am done!

I retired in my 40s and am in my 50s now. It is interesting to see older people still planning and planning. I think that kind of settles me down. If they are still planning and working, what is there to worry about? If they can do it, why can't I?

But then there is the opposite thought - why did they wait so long???

Old 04-25-2016, 11:12 AM

To clarify, I'm not panicking at the thought of no longer working (far from it), but of making the wrong choice and blowing my assets on the wrong place... That I'll be moving somewhere else is certain, but "where" seems to be a perpetually moving target.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
To clarify, I'm not panicking at the thought of no longer working (far from it), but of making the wrong choice and blowing my assets on the wrong place... That I'll be moving somewhere else is certain, but "where" seems to be a perpetually moving target.
What is your major concern? Climate? Health?

If it is climate, you would have to move back and forth yearly. Which to me sounds fantastic. Until you get too old to make the yearly change.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:41 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,385,190 times
We've been retired for 11 years and we're still confused. Moved to FL for the weather but couldn't take the summer's so moved back north and now we snowbird but we're thinking of shaking things up again, maybe purchasing a 2nd home and spending more time south. Not sure if we'll ever get it right but its all fun. Allow yourself the leeway to screw up.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:46 AM

It's not that I want a counselor to tell me what to do, but seem to need help sorting it all out; at this point, my head is spinning!

Old 04-25-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It's not that I want a counselor to tell me what to do, but seem to need help sorting it all out; at this point, my head is spinning!
maybe you should just accept that once you retire, you might move several times again.

I know I plan on moving. I want a new house. I now live in the house I used to admire when I was a little kid. But - eh - i'm over it. I want a house with clean lines, not all these little nooks and crannies and details. Its a 1920s bungalow. Huge, huge yard.

My family thinks I am crazy. They are the type that will stay in the house they are used to even if it is falling down around them. That to me is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement