Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You’re Retired. Now What Do You Do (US News article)? Select all that apply.
Start a second career (full or part time) 36 28.35%
Volunteer for a cause 42 33.07%
Go back to school 24 18.90%
Practice your sport or involve in hobbies 77 60.63%
Take to the road (RV or just more travel) 56 44.09%
Become a culture crawler (arts, music etc.) 46 36.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:04 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,980,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Taking care of grandchildren could in some cases be construed as a hobby. And even if you aren't working towards a brilliant future for yourself, you're working towards a brilliant future for your grandchildren.
True..Except when I say taking care of them, I mean 24/7 as they live with me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 03:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,657,415 times
I think it can be little difficult to work toward "a brilliant future' when one has probably or maybe 15 or 17 years or less left on earth......but it's a worthy goal and definitely worth pursuing in order to add to a meaningful existence.

Keeping the hunger and zest & lust for life is a worthwhile goal.....even with the end of existence in sight.

And one never knows if they'll will be a person who actually lives beyond 83 or 85, so pursuing 'a brilliant future' can make sense even more in that scenario.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-26-2016 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 07:44 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,950,280 times
- "start a second career" (roaring of laughter)
- "volunteer for a cause" : no need to "volunteer" . I act individually and locally on the spur of the moment when I see fit
- "go back to school" (exploding in laughter).
- practice your sport or indulge in hobbies : "check"
-more travel : double check
-"culture crawler" : it ain't my cup of tea

Old 04-27-2016, 11:05 AM

126 posts, read 162,508 times
I selected all of them, as I'm involved to a degree with all of the selections. I pick up contract work (remotely working), I volunteer at the National Air & Space Museum and for different ministries, I'm taking 3 different on-line classes (Web Development, TESOL, and Instructing Geography), I've been able to skydive and scuba more and put 1000+ miles on my bicycle this year, my wife and I went to South Africa and will return there in Feb 2017, with other trips including San Diego and New Mexico, and we've been going to shows, theater, and exibitions. Of course, I like to kick back and do nothing too! Everything in moderation.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:07 AM

1,160 posts, read 977,209 times
Default Reading is not a happy occupation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgirl49 View Post
I'm not happy unless I'm occupied. I envy those who can read for hours or enjoy TV or passive activities
I agree with you on the TV and other passive activities, but how is reading not an occupation like any other? It's stimulating, entertaining, educational, thought-provoking...everything that makes your brain feel alive. Reading a great novel or work of non-fiction reveals whole new perspectives on the world. I can't think of a better way to be occupied, although clearly others don't feel the same. I just don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgirl49 View Post
Those who like to do nothing, no criticism because I wish that would be enough for me. Posters in that category will find old age limitations less irksome than I shall.
I guess reading does not equate to "doing nothing" for me. It is one of my cherished occupations. I look forward to retirement as a time in my life when I can read more, being past the demands of a career or young family on my time.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,087,054 times
I'm probably alone here with the thought of unburdening oneself from responsibilities in retirement. That's not to say it's not good to volunteer or work at something, but a vote to mostly just live in the moment and not take on unnecessary responsibility. Taking the time to simply exist in the natural world a la Thoreau isn't such a bad idea, maybe photographing or writing or sketching just for the pleasure of it without feeling pressure to exhibit and sell. It's probably the first chance in our lives that we have to relax and observe (travel does that, too). That's what I would like.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:17 AM

46,118 posts, read 61,641,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I'm probably alone here with the thought of unburdening oneself from responsibilities in retirement. That's not to say it's not good to volunteer or work at something, but a vote to mostly just live in the moment and not take on unnecessary responsibility. Taking the time to simply exist in the natural world a la Thoreau isn't such a bad idea, maybe photographing or writing or sketching just for the pleasure of it without feeling pressure to exhibit and sell. It's probably the first chance in our lives that we have to relax and observe (travel does that, too). That's what I would like.

I sort of touched on that. The problem I'm having is that I'm now the go to for things that come up at the last minute in my community stuff.

State Highway has to have a meeting about a project I get called. Have to do a promo on Comcast, well I answer my phone. Someone needs something moved, my truck doesn't go to work any more.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:44 PM
eok

6,683 posts, read 4,304,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If I can find the time I am thinking of learning chess again after many years. I think I will like the combination of competition and social.
Before you take up chess, you should watch the movie, "Searching for Bobby Fischer". It's a great movie and it gives you a lot of reasons not to take up chess.

The whole idea that your status in your social group could depend on your skill at chess could almost be construed as being desperately lonely. A lot of those men were so focused on chess that they could hardly think of anything else.

In fact, what people are more likely to get out of that movie, is not an appreciation of chess, but an appreciation of good movies. Movies are a major art, with big horizons. Chess is a lesser art, with narrower horizons. In the future computer software should advance to the point that people can make good movies sitting at their computer. It opens a whole new horizon of activity far more fulfilling, with an opportunity to get rich if you turn out to be creative enough. There might even be future software that watches millions of homemade movies in a few seconds and selects the best few.

My father made me play chess with him when I didn't want to. That resulted in my growing up hating chess. But whenever I played as an adult, expecting not to do very well, I almost always beat other people who expected to do much better. So even though I hated it when I was younger, I seemed to have got a lot out of it. But what's it worth? In the above movie, a full time chess player, who played in tournaments almost constantly, made something like $2000 per year in prizes. And the kids playing in kids' tournaments and getting trophies, could have spent their chess time studying more and doing better in school, or taking up hobbies that had better futures and could become future careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement