Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:52 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,566,872 times

Advertisements

This is a thread about working - not retirement. Belongs in another forum. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 12:02 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,775,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
[url="http://federalnewsradio.com/commentary/2016/04/want-culture-change-time-push-baby-boomers-retirement/"]

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day."
Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance.

But what has this got to do with the topic?

Old 04-11-2016, 02:00 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,428,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Are you ageism intolerant only or intolerant of all different than you, ersatz?
Why did I post this? Because Baby Boomers, ageism, and forced/semi-forced retirement are frequent topics on this forum. I should have made clearer that the ageism remark in my text was not my opinion but a comment summarizing the tone of the article. I found the tone of the article somewhat offputting but thought that a number of forum readers would be interested in reading it. Given the number of replies that the thread has racked up in a couple days, people were.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:05 AM

6,428 posts, read 6,955,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
The "Greatest Generation" had worked a reasonable number of hours - but nothing exceptional. And they had lake houses, airplanes, boats, fabulous cars, fabulous and frequent vacations (much of which was directly or indirectly paid for by the corporations - a huge drain on profits) The "Greatest Generation" had a very good time, while they let their father's little empire slowly crumble. By contrast, their "boomer" children work like crazy, have retired all the corporations debt', have paid cash for enormous improvements, have diversified holdings, and insist that every one of their children get a marketable degree [i](The "Greatest Generation" saw college as a place to go and look cute while being social).
Hi Gloria

This may be true of some families, but my parents never did any of that, except for having coffee ;-). They couldn't afford it. I am the first generation in my family to make it beyond the working class, thanks to my father busting his ass so I could go to private college and graduate school and have the professional career that he wanted but couldn't manage to get.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:09 AM
eok

6,683 posts, read 4,277,779 times
Tl;dr, but the premise of this thread seems to imply we should not vote for Bernie.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:53 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,428,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Tl;dr, but the premise of this thread seems to imply we should not vote for Bernie.
Well, sure. But, to be fair, that also means no voting for Hillary, or John, or The Don. Not even Ted is under 40.

I never stopped to reflect about the Reverse-Ageism discrimination inherent in our Presidential election process. This could be the start of a whole new party/movement - the "Nobody over 30 Party". (where have I heard that phrase before .....)

Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,566,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
...The only things I don't do are social media such as facebook or twitter. Waste of my time, as I see it.
Whether or not you or anyone else thinks that social media is a waste of his/her time - it's a large factor in our economy these days. And knowing it and understanding it and being able to work with it is important in many kinds of jobs. And not only tech jobs. Take an area like advertising.

To the extent that anyone - regardless of age - isn't comfortable with newer things (or worse - is dismissive of them) - he/she is less attractive as an employee.

Note that even professions that seem to be relatively immune from these things - aren't. For example - Florida has recently gone to e-filing of court documents. And - judging from reading the Florida Bar News - a lot of older lawyers are having trouble with it. Robyn

Old 04-11-2016, 07:34 AM

4,808 posts, read 3,530,932 times
One major skill kids generally need an older person to teach, is Work Ethic. Bring a new hire in and start teaching them this, and they will be far above most employees fresh out of college.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:53 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
One major skill kids generally need an older person to teach, is Work Ethic. Bring a new hire in and start teaching them this, and they will be far above most employees fresh out of college.
It's been my experience that some people are born with work ethic and some people can't be taught it. Or maybe work ethic is the wrong term for it. It's more of a gung ho attitude vs a procrastination attitude. An attitude difference people seem to be born with. Some people are happy working, and were born with that. Some people are only happy when they're not working, and were born with that. The difference should be easy to see in your own children, if you have enough of them for such differences to show. OTOH, it might just be that they were born for different types of work, and the work you want them to do favors some of them over others, which makes some of them seem gung ho and some seem natural procrastinators.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:58 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Well, sure. But, to be fair, that also means no voting for Hillary, or John, or The Don. Not even Ted is under 40.

I never stopped to reflect about the Reverse-Ageism discrimination inherent in our Presidential election process. This could be the start of a whole new party/movement - the "Nobody over 30 Party". (where have I heard that phrase before .....)
"I have lived some 30 years on this planet, and I have yet to hear the first word of valuable or even earnest advice from my seniors."

That was the sentence that inspired the nobody-over-30 movement. Ironically, if the person who wrote that were alive today, he would be 198 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement