Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 10:20 AM

885 posts, read 1,167,923 times

Advertisements

We have a few years yet to retire, but we're researching which states offer the most for retirees in both things to do/ quality of life, and cost of living/ taxes. The states we were considering are: Florida, Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky, and possibly South Carolina. We will have SS and a pension. We don't mind "4 seasons", but really would like to avoid "lots of snow" since we currently live in NYS. Also, how bad are the sinkhole problem in some areas like Tennessee and Florida? We will be taking road trips starting this spring but would like to narrow our search areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 10:34 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,095,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
We have a few years yet to retire, but we're researching which states offer the most for retirees in both things to do/ quality of life, and cost of living/ taxes. The states we were considering are: Florida, Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky, and possibly South Carolina. We will have SS and a pension. We don't mind "4 seasons", but really would like to avoid "lots of snow" since we currently live in NYS. Also, how bad are the sinkhole problem in some areas like Tennessee and Florida? We will be taking road trips starting this spring but would like to narrow our search areas.

That is a good list of states. No higher than KY for the snow but each has good and bad points. Florida is not a 4 season but the rest are. Sink holes in FL but I had not heard it being much of a problem in TN. FL has a limestone base with a high water table. I think that has a lot to do with that.

You should probably travel to them all. Each of those states has zones of populations. You might need to research the zones. For example I would divide TN in three zones and use music for the base. West (blues) Central (country) East (blue grass). Tennesseans might have additional information but based on the music you can get a sense of some of the differences.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:33 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Sinkholes are an issue in certain parts of Florida - especially around the Tampa area. They are always a possibility in other areas. But I've lived in SE and NE Florida over the last 40+ years - and they've never been a big issue in these areas.

Florida is an extremely large state - like almost 400 miles north to south - and another 300+ east to west in the Panhandle. With millions of people (who live in places ranging from densely populated urban areas to rural areas and lots in the middle). Areas range from places where uber-wealthy people live to poverty stricken areas. With - again - lots and lots in between. The climate varies from the south to the north too (everything is hot in the summer but winter temps vary from south to north).

Give us a clue what you're looking for (other than avoiding lots of snow - which is easy to do in Florida ) - and what your budget is. And perhaps I and/or other people can help you out. Robyn

Old 10-29-2015, 03:35 PM

106,737 posts, read 108,937,910 times
we decided on new york but it is expensive . depending what you consider offering more for retirees there is nothing nyc lacks that we would want .

constent entertainment , public transportation if we can't drive , the finest doctors and facility's , lots of work if i ever wanted to , there is not a day that we lack for something to do .

but there is a price to pay

Old 10-29-2015, 04:56 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,003 times
There's always a price to pay, but it may not be in money.

I live in Florida and have lived here for 42 years, but I don't like it, especially the climate. It was never my choice -- I was always married to someone who insisted on living in FL. Shortly after my husband died, my one and only grandchild was born in Orlando, to parents who will not leave Central FL. I always said I didn't want to be a long-distance grandmother, so a Floridian I shall remain.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:15 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
I would suspect that counties within a state can differ as much as states themselves.

State taxes will be the same thoughout the state but everything else is local. NYC and Rochester are quite different. So are San Francisco and Riverside, Raleigh and Fayetteville.

Even pizza, grocery stores, property taxes vary within each state and overlap with those in other states.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
So many threads asking what is the best place; taxes and climate being top considerations. When we moved to where we live 13 years ago, with an eye towards retirement, we could care less about taxes and weather. We moved, based on what place fits us well.

I have seen too many threads when people move to where it was cheap and/or had nice weather or was close to the grandkids and it failed as a place to live.

There is no best State. There is only one consideration: all things considered is this area right for me?

I live in Eastern CA. Not the cheapest place to live (but way less expensive than LA or the Bay Area) and the weather can be a bit much in winter, but we love it here and it is Very Much Right for us. As it is written: you get what you pay for.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:19 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,996 times
quality of life
things to do
costs

There are a lot of cheap places to live, but I would not necessarily want to live there.

Things to do.... well that is very personal. I like outdoor activities and museums and art galleries and symphonies. I have also found I really like OLLI learning. You have to do decide what you want.

"Quality of life"..... Wow that is about as vague as you can get.

Sorry, but you need to think about what your want to do with your life in retirement and then find a place that is a good fit.

At this point you are like someone who says I like good food with a good atmosphere and I want to watch my expenses, then what restaurant should I go to? You are a grown up adult, can't you decide for yourself?

Old 10-30-2015, 06:16 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
FYI - The University of North Florida in Jacksonville has one of the largest OLLI programs in the country:

Guest column: UNF offers extensive learning opportunities for those over 50 | jacksonville.com

https://www.unf.edu/ce/olli/

My father has been going to OLLI classes for years. At 97 - he is now the oldest participant in the local program. Robyn

Old 10-30-2015, 07:53 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,949,340 times
You're going to want to give at least a cursory review of the Overall Tax burdens in each of the states you favor. Kiplinger's has a whole series outlining what you might expect to pay in taxes......
State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees-Kiplinger

Also, in my opinion, if your house is paid in full......the cost of living is going to be more or less equal. Of course Real Estate Taxes (and the Senior Exemptions) are a consideration. But there's not a whole lot of difference in Food costs from state to state. Gas prices are pretty much the same. You might find that the Electric or Gas utility bill is higher in some places.

What other expenses would be a consideration ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement