Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:04 PM

99 posts, read 129,945 times

Advertisements

In retirement, I want to live in a new single-level home in the midwest, in style with all the amenities (healthclub,etc.) most of the year, and then a small unpretentious place in AZ. I'd rather find a 55+ housing area (Not assisted living, AKA $4,000+ a month) in Omaha, where I have family and friends. I still don't understand why I need to pick up and move to AZ,NV,FL, etc. when I retire, to have a "Del Webb" type of experience? Seems reasonable, the money is here with lots of 55+ people. Why is it so difficult to find? Seems like a no-brainer. Flip the conventional. Year-round sun city life style at home, and travel to 2-3 months to warm weather areas. We don't need anymore cool, trendy apartments and condos, we need real neighborhoods, with a few neighborhoods designed for 55+ (with cool rec amenities). I know some cities have this, but it should be the standard where people can afford to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 07:42 PM

4,097 posts, read 2,204,550 times
Not quite following. I personally am following a bloom where you are planted approach, but it's in a community marketed (but not restricted) to 55+. Few amenities here. I piece together my social and physical activities outside the community. Occasionally I hear of communities for all ages with great amenities a la Del Webb, but not restricted to over 55+. I would agree that many Del Webb places that would necessitate a move from the Midwest, but they are starting to put them elsewhere, like Ohio, Missouri, and Indiana.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 PM

7,876 posts, read 6,527,033 times
Del Webb has built places in the rust belt. The properties built by Webb in Arizona were mostly private homes with community amenities. I used to live in one.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:03 PM

I just think there is a growing market for 55+ neighborhoods with active amenities, that are located outside of vacation land. Seems there is no shortage of assisted living, they're poping up everywhere. Must be way too much money in independent/assisted living facilities. What is missing, are neighborhoods specifically designed for active boomers that are in good health. Seems the midwest is prime market for this. It would be good to have some real choice.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:37 AM

208 posts, read 260,874 times
I live on the East Coast and 55+ communities are out of my price range--typically $400-500K. For someone looking to buy a small $160K unit in a community, no, there isn't anything.

Assisted living is really for the affluent. If someone simply needs a little assistance, it's a better deal to stay in one's own home, perhaps pay for a few services such as grass cutting. At least it won't cost $4000 a month.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:03 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,496,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpike View Post
I just think there is a growing market for 55+ neighborhoods with active amenities, that are located outside of vacation land. Seems there is no shortage of assisted living, they're poping up everywhere. Must be way too much money in independent/assisted living facilities. What is missing, are neighborhoods specifically designed for active boomers that are in good health. Seems the midwest is prime market for this. It would be good to have some real choice.
wish they'd hurry up. I'd love to find one in Northern Tx, Ark or Okla. Currently looking at Tellico Village in Tn

Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,415,037 times
Not exactly following either but live where you're happy (geographically speaking). Adopt the ideal that you wish for and the rest will happen. You'll seek out the amenities you want and from there you'll seek out friends. If you wait for a developer to build what he thinks you might want you'll be disappointed. I live in one now, 55+ with amenities, and there's a lot more wrong with this setup than there is right. Everyone always feels like they're paying for amenities they don't use and there's not a lot of independent thinkers here. For some, if it's not posted on the bulletin board, then Wednesday/3 p.m. isn't happening. I'm a self-motivator, I like one-on-one relationships and not groups, and as far as paying for amenities I don't use... I don't like it but at least my neighbors are happy.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:49 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,827,770 times
I was a little surprised at your post. I thought they were located pretty much everywhere. I just looked at this listing page:
Listings of 55+ Communities by Category | 55+ Community Guide
And I found 55+ communities in pretty much all states. Clicked through to a few in Midwest states and they sounded like the same sort of set up as the ones in "vacation land".

Old 08-26-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I was a little surprised at your post. I thought they were located pretty much everywhere. I just looked at this listing page:
Listings of 55+ Communities by Category | 55+ Community Guide
And I found 55+ communities in pretty much all states. Clicked through to a few in Midwest states and they sounded like the same sort of set up as the ones in "vacation land".
There are senior apartments, or condos in highrises or buy-in facilities for retirees. What if I want to live in a house in an active 55+ community? it does not exist. I live in an area with well over a million people in a 50 mile radius. There is enough people and enough money to support this, it just is not available for purchase.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,827,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpike View Post
There are senior apartments, or condos in highrises or buy-in facilities for retirees. What if I want to live in a house in an active 55+ community? it does not exist. I live in an area with well over a million people in a 50 mile radius. There is enough people and enough money to support this, it just is not available for purchase.
I saw at least a couple of housing communities just from a few quick clicks. Since I don't know exactly what area you are in, I can't say for sure there is one within 50 miles. There are definitely less of them outside the desert and coastal areas, but they do exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement