Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 06:12 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,148,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Don't know if this is totally outside of your interest. . . but as someone who travels regularly I dearly need a trustworthy, great person to stay in my home, talk to my cat, water the plants etc.

My cat is personable and needs more than just someone coming in and leaving once or twice day; staying only thirty minutes.

But you might also want to do that type of pet sitting too. It gives you your own hours and you can say yes or no to a job.

Alley
I have thought about doing this but have no idea how to get it started. Probably place an ad in the newspapers? I need to look more on line, I am thinking it would be easy enough to find if I just took more time to look for it.

Thank you Alicia64
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 08:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,893,210 times
Just FYI, one has to be careful about jobs involving driving other people around (seniors who need rides to doctors, etc.) because you would have to be insured as using your car for business and have enough insurance to cover injury to a passenger if you got in an accident or serious injury to the passenger. It has its risks.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:01 PM

16,248 posts, read 10,990,835 times
Here's an idea that worked for me. Check with your local town government to see if they need p/t help. Most towns have committees or commissions (zoning, planning, historic preservation, BD of adjustment) and you might be able to type minutes, handle correspondence, type agendas, etc. County governments might be similar. Also check the local library to see if they need a part-time 'page' to do shelving or circulation desk work.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:45 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,382,777 times
Well, you couldn't ask for more suggestions and encouragement. Now, it's time for you to act on it OP and tell us all how it goes. You know everyone will want to know the details of your search and the outcome.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Well, you couldn't ask for more suggestions and encouragement. Now, it's time for you to act on it OP and tell us all how it goes. You know everyone will want to know the details of your search and the outcome.

I have been thinking the same thing, brava4! I'm so glad I took a chance and posted this question. I am pretty excited about most of them and will get started this afternoon after a 1 p.m. appointment today. Yes, I will definitely update this.

Thank you.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:33 PM

4,798 posts, read 4,514,072 times
I think there are a lot of great suggestions running the whole spectrum and not to be negative nelly here but honestly, cleaning houses or delivery for a 70+ woman does not sound like a good idea.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I think there are a lot of great suggestions running the whole spectrum and not to be negative nelly here but honestly, cleaning houses or delivery for a 70+ woman does not sound like a good idea.

Yes, I do agree with that. Heck, I have a hard time cleaning my own one-bedroom apartment.

But I appreciate that someone thought to post it.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:26 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,229,142 times
I noticed in my small city there are many seniors driving shuttle vans for car dealerships (or airport), picking up and dropping off customers who are having their cars repaired and need transportation to work or home while the car is in the shop. I would think you'd just have to have a valid drivers license and insurance. I have used them a few times for both car repairs and to the airport and they always say it's a great part time job.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,404,147 times
Dog walker. House sitter. Pet minder.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I noticed in my small city there are many seniors driving shuttle vans for car dealerships (or airport), picking up and dropping off customers who are having their cars repaired and need transportation to work or home while the car is in the shop. I would think you'd just have to have a valid drivers license and insurance. I have used them a few times for both car repairs and to the airport and they always say it's a great part time job.

I had thought about that, too. However, it's almost a given that you need to be able to drive both standard and automatic transmission. I don't do standard. Never have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement