Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 4 reasons you need to move at retirment
Cannot afford my house and mortgage 5 22.73%
House is paid for but maintenance is too hard 11 50.00%
Need to downsize for health reason 4 18.18%
Travel a lot and don't want to be tied down. 4 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:49 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,910,236 times

Advertisements

COL in CA is out of control for the average retired person (or any other middle income person)...that's one of my main reasons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:51 AM

16,578 posts, read 7,402,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
COL in CA is out of control for the average retired person (or any other middle income person)...that's one of my main reasons
it compares to MA where we live, roughly the same. it is housing price that is way off, at least in the places we were looking.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:19 AM

395 posts, read 414,286 times
We have started construction of our retirement home in NH and want out of CT for the following reasons:

1) To get away from the ridiculously high tax structure (income/property/sales/fuel/etc.) and all the liberal policies.

2) To get to a cooler climate.

3) To get closer to winter sports (skiing & snowmobile).

4) To get away from the congestion.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:35 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,092,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
If you already have your dwelling of many years there, what is it that's out of control in terms of cost?

Old 08-04-2015, 12:30 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,830,390 times
I will join the chorus; I think you left out the most popular reason - desire to live elsewhere. That is the reason I plan to move. I don't hate where I am (well, sometimes in the winter) and will likely visit a few times. But I want warm winters and don't want to make do with a few short stays. Ditto for some of my preferred recreational activities.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,846,415 times
Edited for my reasons:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I think this poll is missing the 5th reason: It's better to move elsewhere ;-)

The main reasons for us to be where we have been in the last 24 years was our jobs. When I retired, the current location is just a place to live. We have to compare the pros and cons of staying put vs. relocation.

Since our top priority is to be closer to my mother, there are no reasons for us to stay in the east coast, thousands of miles away from her.

We have to put up with bad winter weather in the northeast. It is intolerable now with all the snow shoveling and worrying about slipping, falling on ice. So weather is another reason to move. I can do it but it's a struggle. Getting in the plow truck kills him, the last time he plowed he could barely walk the next day and he thought he had had a stroke, his balance was that bad.

So when I retired, we need to move but not because of one of the 4 reasons listed in the poll.

Here are my top 4 reasons:

1. To be closer to my mother, something Dh knew I wanted and is in agreement with. We followed his dream of living in the North country, but especially now with him needing a hip replacement, and being in a two story house on a slope, we're done. We can't stay.
2. To be in a milder climate
3. To be in a lower tax/living cost state
4. To have more opportunity for outdoor activities (I'd love to be able to row, fly, hike and garden year around or most of the year).
and closer to better medical facilities.

Thanks, Bella for not having to rewrite all that.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:57 PM

16,578 posts, read 7,402,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I will join the chorus; I think you left out the most popular reason - desire to live elsewhere. That is the reason I plan to move. I don't hate where I am (well, sometimes in the winter) and will likely visit a few times. But I want warm winters and don't want to make do with a few short stays. Ditto for some of my preferred recreational activities.
Do you think that is the most important reason? I would like to live in Tuscany, the most lovely place., great weather. But I will be so lost without my coffee and newspaper that I needevery morning. We have some bad winter months but I like where we are, so comfortable, home. We travel and I am always happy to be home. Now if I lived in Cincinnati where we once did, I may think about it :-)

Old 08-04-2015, 02:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,575,572 times
None of the above (although the first one is close). Mortgage is or will be within a reasonable time frame N/A. So the "cost" in current terms of housing will be nearly N/A. But ... because the real estate is so expensive here, in order to pay this place off, we've ended up with portfolio that is a bit heavy on the house and lighter than we'd like in other areas. In order to fix that, well ... guess what. Got to free up the cash at some point (and I think reverse mortgages are evil in most cases ... the cases where they really make sense are few and far between ... banksters will of course disagree, that's what they do).

Therefore, sell and relo. Done!

Old 08-04-2015, 02:09 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,128,314 times
How about moving to get a bigger bang of your bucks. Like from a higher cost area to a lower one

Old 08-04-2015, 02:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,575,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If you already have your dwelling of many years there, what is it that's out of control in terms of cost?
In order to get to that point we Californians end up short changing our other retirement investments. Only the rich are able to simultaneously pay off a house and max out for decade upon decade. I finally started maxing my 401K a few years ago, but not early enough to be worry free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement