Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,929,257 times

Advertisements

I found it more amusing with the misquote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 11:37 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
I;ve been retired since 1996 ( served 30 years in the Canadian Forces ) and I am as busy as I want to be.

Teach teen agers basic automotive repair skills, volunteer at a military aviation museum, run anti fraud classes for older seniors ( I was a Military Police investigator ) and the rest of the time I sleep......`Grin ).

If a man wants to die soon after he retires.....let him sit on the couch. It may require drastic measures, send him to the store and change the door locks , or wrap his lunch in a road map.

Seriously, it`s some times hard for a guy to face the years ahead, its scary for some. They don`t have the comfort of the `same old routine of going to work `.

I don`t actually recommend kicking him, but a `kick start `may be required, from some body that he respects......Not the wife.

Jim B.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:14 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Agreed, leave the poor man alone. We already work our entire lives and statistically die not long after retirement. Give him a few years to just relax, hes earned it. Im 30 and the only thing that goes through my mind at my job, while taking night classes, while the wife is at home with our newborn is that lawnchair on a beach in 40 years....yes 40 cause thats what my generation gets to look forward to.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
thatguydownsouth: I am 73 and had to retire at 64 for health reasons. If I did not have to retire at that time, I would probably still be working. Don't believe that some of us people that retired "early" wanted to do that. Due to that early retirement (oh yes, two down-sizings that left me unemployed for a long time)........ my retirement income is pretty low.

Hope you have a very healthy life and are able to work until you are 70'ish...... hindsight is 20:20

Old 05-18-2015, 12:43 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
My wife met a retired couple that did nothing but watch Fox News all day long and get all riled up and angry about "those people."

I'd rather be dead.
Spot on. I've got a brother in law who does this.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
Sounds like a lot of angry women, it was OK when they had a work life but now they want their significant other to be what they expect them to be. If they want to go to seminars, shopping, socializing, then go ahead, maybe their spouse doesn't want to. I can't possibly know what the woman's situation was for this story, from the perspective of the writer, the retired husband is portrayed as a couch potato. Maybe he was going through a post career depression, in that case it takes nurturing and understanding to help him through a trying period of his life. In my case, my wife and I enjoy different hobbies and interests, but we enjoy our time together.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Agreed, leave the poor man alone. We already work our entire lives and statistically die not long after retirement. Give him a few years to just relax, hes earned it. Im 30 and the only thing that goes through my mind at my job, while taking night classes, while the wife is at home with our newborn is that lawnchair on a beach in 40 years....yes 40 cause thats what my generation gets to look forward to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
thatguydownsouth: I am 73 and had to retire at 64 for health reasons. If I did not have to retire at that time, I would probably still be working. Don't believe that some of us people that retired "early" wanted to do that. Due to that early retirement (oh yes, two down-sizings that left me unemployed for a long time)........ my retirement income is pretty low.

Hope you have a very healthy life and are able to work until you are 70'ish...... hindsight is 20:20
My husband had the type of professional job that you could easier do when you were older. Since he was making fairly good money AND he planned to work until he was 70 we did not plan our saving for retirement very well. Well, he started to have serious health problems in his late 40s/early 50s, which caused him to be unemployed for several years (blowing much of our savings) then he had to switch careers to something that paid much, much less. He became totally disabled at age 58.

(so please don't wait until you are 70 to spend some time in a beach chair & start saving for retirement)

Old 05-18-2015, 03:09 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
While I am not a fan of people sitting on the couch watching TV as their major use of time - I think it's unhealthy and will likely lead to an early death - I wonder in how many cases the angry wives quoted in the article are failing to allow hubby a few months to decompress and de-stress immediately after retirement. In other words it's a problem that may self-correct in some cases, as the hubby gets tired of doing nothing.

O.K., but not in all cases. Constant nagging can produce a counter-reaction of digging in the heels. It sounds to me as if communication was probably poor all along and just gets worse when the apple cart of existing arrangements gets over-turned by retirement.

Yes, parts 2 and 3 will be interesting.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:45 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Sure, let him decompress but then, if you want to keep him alive, get him interested in doing something. Women work all their lives too and they often work two full time jobs--one outside of the home and the other is cooking, cleaning, laundry and so on.

Women seem to be more health conscious so they worry when the husbands are couch potatoes. Men don't seem to worry so much so when the wife finally retires from her job, they don't complain. Anyway, the wife usually only retires from ONE of her jobs and she still has her at-home job to work at.

Get him the cutest, most active, rescue dog in the world. It will climb up on him and kiss him and nudge him to go for walks. It will need Daddy to take it to the vet, Daddy to throw its toy to retrieve, Daddy to feed it, Daddy to go to the pet food store and buy food and treats. It will go with Daddy in the car for rides. Pets can get someone interested in living again and give them a purpose in life. A dog will keep you active.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-18-2015 at 08:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement