Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times

Advertisements

We have had so many debates in this Retirement Forum between people who hated their jobs with a passion and those who miss the job because of the "relevance" it confers as well as because of the enjoyment derived from working. I am too tired to once again list the various ways in which a job can be satisfying and gratifying, so I will just repeat something a poster once wrote: People can like their jobs and still be happy to retire. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I wish I could remember the identity of that poster so I could give proper credit for an insightful comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
I don't miss the job on most days. I am too busy in my new interests in Tucson.

I don't even miss the paychecks or the benefits.

I do miss working with a handful of people over the years and some of the things that we were able to accomplish. Many of them do too. Most have decided to leave over the last two years of new ownership.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:32 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
If I had to rate my relevance by my 'job', I'd have to seriously re-evaluate the opinion I have of myself.

A job, to me, was to support my vices (eating, roof over my head, etc.), not a means to prove my self-worth.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
I think maybe the word "relevance" is what I get stuck on. How does one define themselves in terms of relevance? (asking rhetorically) Maybe more accurate words might be: needed, involved, useful, occupied, impactful, or my personal favorite....engaged. I like to be engaged in the world around me, whether it is doing something in my community or just keeping up with the world and the nation and what is going on. I like to think that I could converse at least semi-intelligently on most topics and one has to keep up with what's new to accomplish that. I find that the idea of becoming obsolete, like a VHS tape in a world of streaming Netflix, is very depressing, so I try not to become a mental antique. Challenge yourself to keep up, and share your knowledge with anyone who is interested. Knowledge of today's world combined with the rich experience of the past makes a person a valuable resource to those with the brains to be worthy of engagement. To those who don't have the interest in my thoughts or the patience to listen, that does not reduce the value or relevance of what I'm offering. If they can't appreciate my contribution it is THEIR loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement