Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ladies, will you (or do you) rent or own your residence when you retire?
Rent 15 20.55%
Own 58 79.45%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:49 AM

171 posts, read 209,192 times

Advertisements

After reading article after article about how women will have less to retire on then their male counterparts, I was wondering if the ladies in the community are planning to own or rent when they retire (Part time or full time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
I currently own and plan to continue when I retire.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,104 times
I rent a very nice apartment with all utilities included. The money I got for my house is my nest egg.

If I live past the house money, I can move to a smaller apartment.

I like to think that I could store my things and travel if I took a mind to.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,070 times
I plan to sell my house when I retire and then relocate. Will rent for a year in new location before I buy another house - a smaller, more energy efficient home with as little yard as possible or maybe a townhome. My home will be my long term care insurance policy or I may eventually move into a 55+ community in my early 70's or a CCCR at a later date if necessary. I have never cared for apartments. For one thing, I have to have a place that allows small pets - my pets are my children.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 PM

107 posts, read 204,230 times
I am renting now and would prefer to own when I retire. I have bought homes and condos; lived in apartments and rented condos. I think owning a small home will work best for me. The more difficult decision is where to live -- near family in the north or a warmer climate in the south. Would like to have two places but doubt that is financially feasible.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,077 times
I have been retired for three years. I am going to move to a continuing care retirement community in about 10 years. I have already selected the community. It will probably cost something on the order of $250,000 to $300,000 to buy into the section I want (with single-family homes), but part of that will return to my estate. It will be sort of like renting as there is a monthly fee. The monthly fee for a single-family home at that time will probably be around $2000, which will rise as I require more assistance/care. It's a great community. Until then, I will stay in my house as I like where I live. I have no family, so I am glad there are good options where people like me can be cared for as we age.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Looking for potential market shares for your maybe future commune?

Hate to break it to you but men can be single, divorced or widowed too. Guess they don't count, huh?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Looking for potential market shares for your maybe future commune?

Hate to break it to you but men can be single, divorced or widowed too. Guess they don't count, huh?

You seem to be just looking for an argument or an opportunity to play the victim. Nowhere was there any claim that men could not also be single, widowed, or divorced. The OP specifically inquired about women because of the fairly well-documented estimation that single, widowed, or divorced women will have fewer financial resources than their male counterparts. It was in that context that the question was posed.

I think you're just seeking offense where none was offered or intended. If your ego is so fragile that a query about women makes you feel abused, you can start your own thread and get all the attention for yourself.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 AM

30,490 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Although your point is valid, Chaofan, I don't think Curmudgeon is a whiner. He just likes to point out the other side of the coin, so to speak.

Not valid in this instance (sorry, Curmy) but after reading a gazillion of his posts (and not always agreeing with them) I don't think playing the victim is his claim to fame.

but to respond to the question: (being in the single female category), I currently own and will continue to do so as long as I'm able to live alone. When I get close to needing a nsg home will hopefully be able to pick one but life, as they say, is what happens when you're making other plans.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
You seem to be just looking for an argument or an opportunity to play the victim. Nowhere was there any claim that men could not also be single, widowed, or divorced. The OP specifically inquired about women because of the fairly well-documented estimation that single, widowed, or divorced women will have fewer financial resources than their male counterparts. It was in that context that the question was posed.

I think you're just seeking offense where none was offered or intended. If your ego is so fragile that a query about women makes you feel abused, you can start your own thread and get all the attention for yourself.
My word. You do go on, don't you? Do you really see that much drama in everything?

The original query was general but then the poll was gender specific.

Are you merely a sycophant who hasn't been around here long or do you have a financial interest in the possible development?

You suppositions and ASSumptions are amusing, but that's all they are. G'Day !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement