Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:25 PM

171 posts, read 209,410 times

Advertisements

Seemingly it is... but we'd like to see the community provide some type of musical and artistic outreach to the surrounding communities. Additionally we look for younger bands to stop in and visit with us. Thanks for participating in this discussion. The old fogies have much to offer to young people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 AM

87 posts, read 210,783 times
YUK!!! Your so-called vision sounds absolutely awful to me. I can just see a "prophet" leader telling the folks to donate all their worldly goods to the "community" where said leader, guru will distribute the wealth. Here, in a non-visionary way, I've been sitting on my rear-end for two years trying to figure out if I want to move to the Del Web Sun City about fifteen minutes from me. I'd like to have some friends and nice recreation facilities, but the lack of diversity along with the golf course religion, worries me. So it looks to me that my choice will be no friends and a nice home to enjoy by myself since in suburbia old folks find it is hard to make friends in an ad hoc way.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 AM

Definetely not everyone's cup of tea Agreeableone but that's what makes life interesting. Take care!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:51 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,912,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreeableone View Post
YUK!!! Your so-called vision sounds absolutely awful to me. I can just see a "prophet" leader telling the folks to donate all their worldly goods to the "community" where said leader, guru will distribute the wealth. Here, in a non-visionary way, I've been sitting on my rear-end for two years trying to figure out if I want to move to the Del Web Sun City about fifteen minutes from me. I'd like to have some friends and nice recreation facilities, but the lack of diversity along with the golf course religion, worries me. So it looks to me that my choice will be no friends and a nice home to enjoy by myself since in suburbia old folks find it is hard to make friends in an ad hoc way.
I think I might have already commented on this thread, but since you're a Las Vegas resident, thought I'd put my 2 cents in again. I retired to the LV valley almost four years ago and decided to live in a 55+ community. I have no regrets and have had no problems getting to know and enjoy the company of compatible people here. No "drink the Koolaid" attitudes. And if I want the company of people younger than me, I just have to drive 5-10 minutes away to my volunteer "jobs", to shop, to go to plays, to visit the library, to get my hair cut, to go to the doctor, etc. We are not living in isolation and that is true of all the 55+ communities in the valley. And about the golf -- I'm thinking about 5% of the 11,000 residents here are golfers, so if it's a religion, it's not a mainstream one. Sounds like you've been listening to someone who hates 55+ communities -- don't drink the Koolaid!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:40 AM

If you are a musician who likes to play (jam) with other musicians, you make want to consider some type of community like this. Your desire to play may only grow in retirement since playing music with others is so much fun (and very inexpensive once you have your gear) and being around others is important for healthy aging. Unfortunately the logistics of being able to get together with other musicians may become a problem as we age. Problems with night vision and general mobility issues may keep you from getting together with friends to do something you really enjoy.

For folks who love live music, the same applies. Your love of music will probably not change as you age but your ability to get to venues to enjoy it may.

We don't know what the future holds for us and I for one am planning on making music accessible to me should I get dealt a bad hand. I look at this community as an insurance plan, one that guarantees me the opportunity to do what I like to do until I quite literally 'drop'

Old 03-22-2014, 02:48 PM

87 posts, read 210,783 times
I am not even sure of my previous comments, but now am half way closer to living in over 55 community. In this case, Sun City, Summerlin, Las Vegas, NV. However I've been renting nearby and although I do not like my house very much, I do like the private, in-ground swimming pool. So far, I've been looking through Zillow, etc trying to find a house in Sun City with a private pool and they are very scarce. I know the community pools are very nice, but I like having one outside my door. LOL. Spoiled even though I can't use it all year, which is something I only learned by living here.

I need to do something though as I have become a depressed couch potato, waiting for five o'clock dose of vino. And that's not good for the old body.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:42 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,422,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTYD View Post
If you are a musician who likes to play (jam) with other musicians, you make want to consider some type of community like this. Your desire to play may only grow in retirement since playing music with others is so much fun (and very inexpensive once you have your gear) and being around others is important for healthy aging. Unfortunately the logistics of being able to get together with other musicians may become a problem as we age. Problems with night vision and general mobility issues may keep you from getting together with friends to do something you really enjoy.

For folks who love live music, the same applies. Your love of music will probably not change as you age but your ability to get to venues to enjoy it may.

We don't know what the future holds for us and I for one am planning on making music accessible to me should I get dealt a bad hand. I look at this community as an insurance plan, one that guarantees me the opportunity to do what I like to do until I quite literally 'drop'
Re: your OP, the last sentence in the second paragraph runs on and on and on and on and on.

It will take several million dollars just to set up. Are you planning on everyone living on well water and septic? Or are you planning on being near enough to a municipal system to tap in?

If everyone is an aspiring musician, who makes up the audience? How do you integrate all the different music styles? I'm sure you've thought about the fact that classical devotees aren't likely to attend Heavy Metal, or Rap performances.

Let's say you have 500 homes, that's.....say 600 musicians (at a guess). Where do they practice?

If you want to limit your residents to those dedicated to 'music and arts' (I'm assuming arts being plays and performances) how do you choose what performances to have? Rock of Ages, or Wizard of Oz??? Hmmmmm????? Since plays (and concerts for that matter) take weeks of practice, how many auditoriums do you build? Doing it outside just isn't practical due to noise and weather. A few musicians getting together is one thing, but how many drummers do you need? How do you accommodate everyone when you have an overage of certain instruments?

I could see having a normal community with a music club, or acting club, but then it's pretty much just like any other one. If your entire community is trying to get involved in the limelight, I can see some difficulties ahead.

You will still have to have other amenities for people to do when they aren't performing their craft. Pools, tennis, bocce, fitness.

Lots to think through.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:32 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,519,519 times
Darthfrodo - You had me at the well water and septic tanks . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement