Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:39 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,518,118 times

Advertisements

I considered having the testing done at my own expense, but even with
privacy laws don't feel secure the results would be private!
I feel somehow the results would become a part of my medical history
even if I didn't want it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 PM

720 posts, read 1,711,378 times
I believe it's against the law to discriminate due to genetic testing. Also, this seems kind of random---genetic testing would be for a specific condition, rather than a test that reveals multiple defects. Example: $3,000.00 to test for Lynch Syndrome (and only one lab in the USA performs this test). Test is specific and for that one condition. What insurance company is going to test for a grabbag of conditions? Just my thoughts, glad to be corrected!

Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,413,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
I believe it's against the law to discriminate due to genetic testing. Also, this seems kind of random---genetic testing would be for a specific condition, rather than a test that reveals multiple defects. Example: $3,000.00 to test for Lynch Syndrome (and only one lab in the USA performs this test). Test is specific and for that one condition. What insurance company is going to test for a grabbag of conditions? Just my thoughts, glad to be corrected!
It appears there is a law, but with an exception for insurers, see link post #9. Also glad to be corrected.
Quote:
There's a federal law that's supposed to protect people from having their own genes used against them, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, or GINA. Under GINA, it's illegal for an employer to fire someone based on his genes, and it's illegal for health insurers to raise rates or to deny coverage because of someone's genetic code.

But the law has a loophole: It only applies to health insurance. It doesn't say anything about companies that sell life insurance, disability insurance or long-term-care insurance.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,508,619 times
I've had DNA testing for medical predictive purposes. On my own, for my own reasons and not as a requirement for my LTC insurance.

It seems to me that an insurance company requiring this wants, obviously, to insure only the healthiest ... or persons with little liklihood of certain, expensive long-term diseases/conditions as policyholders. From a business operations standpoint, that makes sense. From the standpoint of a policyholder it may not be so good. Of course, if the DNA test suggests little chance of serious problems in the future, the premiums should be subsantially lower. I don't know if that would be the case, though.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 PM

5,336 posts, read 6,038,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I considered having the testing done at my own expense, but even with
privacy laws don't feel secure the results would be private!
I feel somehow the results would become a part of my medical history
even if I didn't want it to.
That's why I mentioned using a fake name and a consumer friendly company, such as 23andme. You order the test ($99) and they will mail you a spit kit. You spit into the tube and mail it back for testing. Results may be accessed via internet/password. Some folks use 23andme for genealogy purposes only, most (I think) use it only for the medical info and do not participate in the voluntary matching of potential "cousins". IIRC (pun intended) there are no markers used to identify those at higher risk for the type of Alzheimers that develops late in life. They do, however, test for Early Onset Alzheimers. If you go to 23andMe's website, you will see a list of medical conditions for which it tests. A lot of it could be helpful, especially the testing that is related to efficacy of certain medications.

I intend to purchase kits for me and my sister. Unfortunately, Maryland is one of two states that does not allow for the sale of direct-to-consumer diagnostic tests (with a few minor exceptions). Thus, 23andMe will not ship to my home, nor will it accept a kit that has a Maryland postmark. I will have the kits shipped elsewhere and return them using pseudonyms. Even if I could receive the kit in Maryland, I'd still take steps to conceal my identity.

BTW, I checked online and apparently my state does not allow long term care insurance companies to discriminate based on the results of genetic testing. I guess there are both pros and cons to living in a nanny state.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,097,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
That's why I mentioned using a fake name and a consumer friendly company, such as 23andme. You order the test ($99) and they will mail you a spit kit. You spit into the tube and mail it back for testing. Results may be accessed via internet/password. Some folks use 23andme for genealogy purposes only, most (I think) use it only for the medical info and do not participate in the voluntary matching of potential "cousins". IIRC (pun intended) there are no markers used to identify those at higher risk for the type of Alzheimers that develops late in life. They do, however, test for Early Onset Alzheimers. If you go to 23andMe's website, you will see a list of medical conditions for which it tests. A lot of it could be helpful, especially the testing that is related to efficacy of certain medications.

I intend to purchase kits for me and my sister. Unfortunately, Maryland is one of two states that does not allow for the sale of direct-to-consumer diagnostic tests (with a few minor exceptions). Thus, 23andMe will not ship to my home, nor will it accept a kit that has a Maryland postmark. I will have the kits shipped elsewhere and return them using pseudonyms. Even if I could receive the kit in Maryland, I'd still take steps to conceal my identity.

BTW, I checked online and apparently my state does not allow long term care insurance companies to discriminate based on the results of genetic testing. I guess there are both pros and cons to living in a nanny state.
Isn't your governor Nanny O'malley. Oh well at least no more death penalty

Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,996,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
No, and they should be barred from requiring it.
I agree. Actually, it is the people with risk factors for the horrible diseases who will NEED the insurance. If you are tested and have none, why would you want to pay all those premiums? Most old folks still die in their own homes and use housing facilities only sporadically.

The whole idea of insurance is that they don't discriminate in accepting people and so the healthy insure those who are not so lucky.

Most countries that have a single payer health system and facilities for old folks also have another tier for those who can pay more. This makes sense to me.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,085,872 times
No, absolutely not. Worrying about what may happen is foolish and not worthy of our time in our later years. I already know I have a host of stuff wrong with me. To add to the list would make me want to throw in the towel, now.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:02 AM

340 posts, read 497,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I watched a program on PBS a few days ago. It
suggested that in order to buy Ltc insurance
you would have to get gene tested. While I
might want to know if I have the PROBABILITy
of certain diseases, I don't want toknow if
I might get Alzheimers, do you?
This is about as smart as saying blond hair and blue eyes make you a superior race. It needs to get slapped down fast. If you do something your in control of smoking,drinking to excess ect. then I can see getting changed for your activity's. But how your born is not your fault and to take people based on that is disgusting and capitalism gone so far over the top its sick.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,518,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

Thanks! Hard to believe MD won't let you order a kit if you want to. Your business if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement