Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,344,816 times

Advertisements

I just drove by the local county senior center, and I was a little surprised at the number of cars already there this morning. I'm assuming these seniors/retirees are there for their early morning workout. Do you belong to a senior center or a gym? If not, is it something you would consider joining?

p.s. I was just reminded that they offer more services than just for exercising, so please feel free to comment on other activities there also.

Last edited by nezlie; 09-06-2012 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: see p.s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,425,139 times
I'm not retired, and I don't go to a senior center (yet), but my local center serves breakfast from 7:30 AM-9:30 AM. Is it possible that people were there early to partake of some bacon and eggs?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,919,144 times
I have a membership in a large chain of gyms (L.A. Fitness). Best money I ever spent. All kinds of group classes are free once you have the membership, plus there are treadmills and other aerobic equipment and resistence machines. I much prefer hand-held dumbells (there are classes for that too) to the machines. Yoga classes are among those available.

I do see other seniors at the gym, but it is mostly younger people, which doesn't bother me in the least. However, in a rational world the gyms would be just over-run with seniors because regular exercise is even more important for us than it is for younger people.

Outdoor exercise is in general more enjoyable, but there are days when it's too rainy, too cold, too hot, or too smoggy to exercise outdoors. I like the treadmills for their precision; I can track my progress by increasing the speed or the incline by very small increments - a tenth of a mile per hour or one-half a percent of incline.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,102,711 times
It's a little early for voting, but in another month that could be the explanation.

They could have taken a trip together. The Senior Centers near me usually sponsor a wide variety of trips. Or, maybe the seniors in your town park there because it's free parking for the local bus. Or they use the center's transportation services that take seniors to various places around town.

There could be a "giveaway" program going on and these people arrived early to make sure they got whatever was being given away. The center near me just had a Rain Barrel giveaway, for example.

There might be some sort of symposium going on. The center I like in Williamsburg has an interfaith group that holds an annual “Aging in Place Symposium“ with workshops on wills and other legal issues, remodeling homes so you can live in them as you age, resources for caregivers, etc.

If it was the weekend, I'd suggest they wanted to get the primo parking spaces before the farmers market set up. It's great having a farmers market right at the center but it can make parking a little tricky.

Or maybe the tai chi class is really popular. Some days we get 20 or more people in our class, so you never know.

Last edited by Caladium; 09-06-2012 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,501,909 times
Closest one to us is just over 20 miles away. Neither convenient nor a place we're likely to patronize. That's no "shot" at their services. We're just not joiners.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,513,654 times
Our senior center has trips of one, two and a week offered. They also have daily games, dancing with a band. And just socializing. Also offered is breakfast and lunch. Lunch is about $1.50.
The senior bus will pick you up and take you to the senior center; then bring you home.
The bus takes people to appts, too.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,353,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I just drove by the local county senior center, and I was a little surprised at the number of cars already there this morning. I'm assuming these seniors/retirees are there for their early morning workout. Do you belong to a senior center or a gym? If not, is it something you would consider joining?

p.s. I was just reminded that they offer more services than just for exercising, so please feel free to comment on other activities there also.
Still working but I would stop by the Senior Center and hope that I like the activities. I do go to the gym and will continue that.
I think it is important to find a group of people to interact with. This could be a senior center or maybe an over 55 community.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Sure, I use Senior Center all the time, as I have since age 30. Cheap meals, fun and informational events, GREAT friends (too bad they die,... as I will too...),

I won't miss the 'Last Friday Pancake Breakfasts $2 all you can eat'. One couple I helped with volunteer senior chores were transported to the senior center DAILY since they retired in 1975! (both passed on last yr). It was a vital part of their life that kept them 'engaged' happy and healthy well into their 90's. They often performed (accordion + singing, little slow in the dancing).

Support your senior center, (maybe instead of your) "Failed" public schools...(mine too)

Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,469,947 times
I get my taxes done at a Senior Center every year. My friend takes square dance classes there. They also have once a month Sunday breakfasts and classes in various other subjects. They hold special events for holidays and such. I would like to got more often but unfortunately it takes a couple of buses and a pretty long walk to get there.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
I realize that my father is more 'senior' than you guys - but does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get him to our Senior Center?

He flatly refuses to go. We've lived here for two years and he has yet to make one friend. He has a paid companion who drives him wherever he wants to go and that's it. I would love for him to have at least one activity that doesn't involve me.

He says he feels a little sick when he thinks about going to the Senior Center. Why? I don't think he sees himself as old but he's 91 so . . . .

He also says he's not a 'joiner' but the chances of him making any friends in our mostly young neighborhood is slim to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement