Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,061 times

Advertisements

I ended up in one out of desperation and panic. It did not help that the realtor misled me. Had I read the newsletter in advance, I would not have moved here.

It has its positives. It's very quiet and a lot cheaper. However, the surrounding area is not good, even if this particular "park" is. I live in a place that is nice enough, but took a real hit in terms of the neighborhood and place itself. However, that meant more money in the bank. I've always lived in traditional houses and now live in a mobile home. You'd be surprised at how far they have come, but still. There is a stigma attached to it and I don't know that I'll ever get over that.

What bugs me the most is the fact I was not told the truth about the activities. I do not enjoy Lawrence Welk potlucks. I thought that people would be more like the person who suggested I move here. They aren't.

Anyway, each time I drive in and see the sign "senior park" I cringe. I don't even know that I'd feel comfortable inviting anyone over if for no other reason than that sign.

I'm not the type that would have even lived in a gated community, but now I do.

Anyway, would you move to one and, if you live in one, how do you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
My absolute requirements are that I own the house (regardless of type), the land under the house, and have no de facto landlord (HOA). I've been in some very decent trailers so that would cause me no problem. I do, however, prefer the look of site-built homes.

I don't care to be surrounded by a seedy area. That's not just bad from the standpoint of security as bad areas also have bad shopping and are aesthetically displeasing.

If there were a place that could satisfy my requirements and have voluntary clubs I suppose a Lawrence Welk potluck might be fun although a Liberace night would be far more festive. There could be large screen television and the ladies and gentlemen in attendance would would wear appropriate attire.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:14 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
To MistyGirl092: To answer your question, I would not live in a 55+ community because I know that is not my cup of tea. It's too bad you are conflicted about it. Or maybe it's more accurate to say you are of two minds about it.

You admit you made a major change in your life without doing your homework first. Don't blame the realtor, whose job it is to make sales. If you had only read the newsletter first, you say. Well you didn't, so how do you move ahead now? You cringe every time you see the sign "Senior Park"? You mean you didn't see that sign until after you moved there?

The mystery of your post, to me, is your statement that you moved out of "desperation and panic". What was the nature of the desperation? Financial? I do understand how financial desperation can lead to panic.

What's done is done; you made a mistake. How do you move ahead now? I would suggest by getting over your concerns about image (such as the park sign) and focusing on the positives rather than the negatives. You say you are now financially better off - that is a huge positive. Get over your discomfort and invite some people over. Do not be so determined to wallow in your own misery. Are you playing "Ain't it awful"? Remember author Eric Berne (hope I spelled it right) and his "Games People Play"? Ain't it awful that I was tricked into moving here and I don't like the activities and I don't like the sign over the gate.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Sorry to hear you moved into a place you don't like. Some of your comments I don't completely understand--if the sign bugs you that much, why did you move into a place with a sign like that in the first place? Surely you saw it when the realtor took you there. If the sign is so hidden that you didn't see it before you bought the place, then why worry about your friends visiting you and seeing it? Not sure I understand why a sign that says "Senior Park" bothers you that much anyway but to each his own.

Re: my opinion of 55+ communities in general. I like the ones around here. I have several friends and family members who have had good experiences in them, but planned communities are not for everyone. The ones near me aren't mobile home parks, however, and I suspect that's what's really bothering you. Or maybe a large part of it. A question to ask yourself is would you like your community better if there were lots of teenagers hanging out. If the answer's yes, you know what, there's probably someone near you who feels exactly the other way--someone who wishes she lived in a mobile home park with no kids. Maybe you can arrange a swap of some sort.

The one thing that worries me about 55+ communities is the ones that are still under construction and want people to buy into them before they're finished. If you're buying for those promises of community buildings, be aware that they may not be built for years... or ever. I'd buy into an established community, myself.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 AM

The realtor told me the average age was less than what it really is. He told me every two weeks there is a bus that goes to two towns (I was thinking - yay! I get out of here and don't have to do the driving). I've been here several months and there has not been one of those trips.

I can't say that I did notice the sign. I was just desperate to be somewhere other than where I was living. All my money (or most of it) was tied up in that house so I actually bought this place before I sold my house. That house was paid for and so is this one, and to the poster who said part of it is being in a mobile home park, you're right. I was forced out of my home of eight plus years due to my new psycho next door neighbors. Threats were made against me and I was sick of living in fear. I had to do something and fast. In retrospect, I should have rented. Highsight is 20/20. I didn't think I had the time it takes to look into renting and this place was vacant.

Now, on the plus side for a mobile home this is nice. In fact, I think I paid more for it than any other place in this park. It's newer and more modern so it looks better - both outside and inside. It's just that I went from a regular house in a good neighborhood on an 18K square ft lot with lots of trees to a backyard with nothing in it and very small yard at that and an area where just across the street it's known to be one of the worst parts of the city. I had time to look at four places and chose this one. I'm not thrilled with living in an HOA world but the dues are low and I suppose it forces people to keep their places up. I don't like that I have to ask permission to do anything to the outside of it though.

I sure don't miss teenagers or kids, so that is fine with me. I just don't like the idea of living in "God's waiting room," so to speak. If there is a garage sale it is because someone has died nine times out of ten. Plus there are a lot of dumps in here that should just be taken down and replaced with better homes.

The vacant properties and foreclosures have just driven my value down while I watch my other house (former house) continue to climb in value. It was the "forced to move fast to escape danger" aspect that led to this.

I know there are some 55+ communities that offer better amenities but I also know you pay WAY more in HOA fees. Plus I do own the land here (what little there is of it) so I don't pay a lot rent. It just is not aesthetically pleasing to drive out of here and see XXX DVD rentals, pawn shops and the like. On the plus side, there are a couple thrift stores I like and a great used furniture store with some REALLY great deals.

I thought more people would be close to 55 and not closer to way older. I thought the people would be like my friend who suggested this place and they are not. I HATE Lawrence Welk and singalongs. I have to believe that just because someone reaches X age it doesn't mean they don't still have an appreciation for things a bit more hip than what my 90 something mother enjoys.

I do appreciate the quiet though. That is one thing I really do value. Oh, and I'd like it much better if the sign just read "55+."

Last edited by mistygrl092; 05-02-2012 at 06:41 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
It just is not aesthetically pleasing to drive out of here and see XXX DVD rentals, pawn shops and the like.
I can totally understand this, but the surrounding neighborhood is not the fault of the 55+ community. Maybe your initial question shouldn't be "would you live in a 55+ neighborhood" but "would you live in a trashy part of town just because it's inexpensive"? (Which would actually make an interesting topic for a thread, since many of us are on strict budgets.)

Old 05-02-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I can totally understand this, but the surrounding neighborhood is not the fault of the 55+ community. Maybe your initial question shouldn't be "would you live in a 55+ neighborhood" but "would you live in a trashy part of town just because it's inexpensive"? (Which would actually make an interesting topic for a thread, since many of us are on strict budgets.)
Well, that sounds like a thread you might want to start! And I do think that living in a 55+ community topic is one of interest - at least to me. There are pluses and minuses. I have no human children but they do allow the furry kind in here and that is all that matters to me. I'd always thought about maybe living in a 55+ (maybe not that seriously) as the no kids thing appeals to me. Plus I thought that, in general, these communities would be more quiet and that has ALWAYS been a big deal to me. I just think it would be nice to have a variety of activities that does not cater to the average age here.

Believe it or not, living in this part of town is really not any less expensive than where I lived before. What makes it inexpensive for me is lower property taxes (because I paid so much less for this house than the other one) and the fact I do not have the upkeep of a pool (which ate up half of my utility bill) and the maintenance of a huge lot. Other than this, groceries and gas cost the same. I don't know why this part of town has to be trashy. Let's just say it's more ethnically diverse. I don't want to get myself in trouble and it was an X (different ethnicity than me) friend who said "you are going to move into a (his ethnicity) part of town?!

I've lived amongst different cultures and I will tell you that it DOES matter. Of course, cheap housing attracts a certain type of person too. At any rate, I don't mind the 55+ aspect of it, I just wish more were 55. And I do wish the activities were more inclusive of those with interests other than bible study, bingo, and water aerobics. How about a crafts class? How about a painting class? How about a hiking adventure? It doesn't have to be a big deal, even a walk through a part of town that is interesting. Or even lunch at a restaurant?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I just don't like the idea of living in "God's waiting room," so to speak"
An interesting expression. I hope you won't mind if I borrow that sometime...

Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
An interesting expression. I hope you won't mind if I borrow that sometime...
Be my guest. I borrowed it from someone else.

One thing I'd like to add, I think no matter what part of town you live in, there is no excuse for not keeping up your property and being considerate of others. I kept up my house where I lived before and I take the same approach here.

Far too often in less expensive (housing-wise) parts of town for some reason people think it's ok to let everything go to pot. Cars parked in yards, trash all over, etc, etc. I think it's more a mindset than anything else. It's one I don't understand.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Default Would you (or do you) live in a 55+ community?

Not on purpose. As Happy in Wyoming requires, we have to own both our home and the land it sits upon. There are no two ways about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement