Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times

Advertisements

Do you believe you have a purpose in life?

And if so, do you believe you have fulfilled your purpose at this point in your life?

I believe that people have purposes and I believe I have not fulfilled my purpose yet.

I imagine that fulfilling my purpose might have to do with future work I might do (such as writing) - but obviously, I don't know.

I do know if I died today I would think that I had not come here to do what I set out to do.

I have pretty much come to terms with that.

Have you fulfilled YOUR purpose?

If so, what did you do that made a truly positive difference in life itself or in the lives of other people?

How did your existence help (or conversely, how did your existence hurt if you want to go there)? Or maybe it was just neutral, in which case, what do you make of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
1. Do you believe you have a purpose in life?

2. And if so, do you believe you have fulfilled your purpose at this point in your life?

3. Have you fulfilled YOUR purpose?

4. How did your existence help (or conversely, how did your existence hurt if you want to go there)? Or maybe it was just neutral, in which case, what do you make of that?
1. Yes.

2. Don't know.

3. Same as above.

4. First of all, I don't believe I know what my specific purpose(s) in life is but I believe I have one or I wouldn't be here. I won't have fully fulfilled whatever my purpose in life is until the instant before I draw my last breath.

Of my 45 or so working years, almost 40 have been spent in public service from the military to law enforcement to social programs and advocacy to politics and legislation. I've had some successes that decidedly made the lives of many others easier and protected their interests. I've had some defeats. I've done things that were very good. I've done some things that weren't so good.

To put it simply, I am and have always been a work in progress. The fact that I'm still alive means, to me, that God isn't finished with me yet.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:15 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,103,294 times
I dont believe anyone has a purpose and in fact, feel it egotistical to even think that. In the end we are all forgotten and nothing matters. There are zillions of us and zillions more to come and go. So what?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:33 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
I "believe" the universe is expanding, and that human beings can contribute to that expansion (in terms of creativity). Lord knows we've contributed to destruction, but that's another issue . . . it's a combination of spiritual belief and scientific/evolutionary occurrences.

I don't wish to debate these beliefs - I feel, respectfully, that everyone is entitled to their personal beliefs - the question for this thread is IF you feel a person's life has a purpose, do you think you have achieved yours?

Of course there are those who feel that life has no purpose and their life has no purpose, but this thread does not address that question.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM

399 posts, read 581,872 times
I have a strong desire to always push forward and so at this moment I feel my purpose in life is to be of some sort of service. Nursing and traveling is my way of choosing to fulfill that.

I feel this way because the experiences I've had in my life as well as my natural inclination towards exploring and dissatisfaction have forced me to step outside of my comfort zone time and time again so that I can see life from another perspective and further develop my empathy. I'm in the process of fulfilling my purpose as I am neither a nurse nor a traveler.

I hope that my existence has had a positive impact but I no longer aspire to save the world. What I have found is that when I improve myself, the state of those around me seems to improve. It seems to inspire evolution.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
I felt my purpose has been as a nurturer, and I have fulfilled that in spades by having children and students all my adult life. I am still on the road to fulfilling my artistic purpose, but if I don't achieve that in my lifetime that's OK.

A hundred years ago and more when humans were agrarian and before that hunter-gatherers, I'm sure no one thought about purpose. Every day of our existence then was to survive.

The question of, and quest for, purpose and meaning is a modern/contemporary dilemma.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 PM

361 posts, read 737,803 times
Believe that we do have a purpose...
That we are here to learn...
That if we somehow don't absorb the lessons, they will be presented again and again in new, creative, and painful ways.
Also I believe in Karma...so good deeds/actions are important

Old 04-20-2012, 07:13 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
I thought and felt I had a purpose and fulfilled that. I believe I have a new purpose still being defined but being a model of personal tranquility is I believe part of it. I am beginning to believe that The Garden of Eden was a parable. God gave us a life of simplicty and tranquilty by being in harmony with nature. It was man that created the complexity and drama of modern life. It is by finding our natural state in harmony with nature and the Chi that flows through all of Gods creation that we find calmness and the blessings we enjoy. Yes we are blessed and it didn't have to be that way but it was faith that gave us the blessings we now have in retirement. Adversity cast aside being replaced with prosperity and tranquility is hard not to be noticed.

Last edited by TuborgP; 04-20-2012 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,782 times
I have a number of important things to do in the next 3.5 years, and then if successful another set of very important things to accomplish in the years after that. However they are all internal, and might not even be noticed by anyone outside of me. But they are hard to do and take a lot of long hours of work.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
Your "purpose" changes as you age. At one time, my whole purpose was to raise children the best possible way I could. Then, when they were grown and married, my purpose changed.

Now, my husband and I are old. And heath problems are here. At the present time, my only purpose seems to be to give my husband something to do with his time. He takes care of me.

If you were to ask him what his purpose in life was, he would probably say to take care of me as long as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement