Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:53 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,936,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Only 2 problems with "just replace the heater core and go on":

1 The OP stated they don't have much job/financial security, the job is expensive.

2 I have seen heater core replacements done with excellent craftsmanship, where the dash got put back together exactly as it came from the factory, everything worked right, no additional rattles, etc. I have also seen the job botched. This is a time-consuming job, aggravating, and you need to make sure you get a tech who is a mechanic to the core, who has a lot of his (her) ego tied up in the ability to fix what mere mortals can't fix. You don't always get this caliber of tech at every dealer.

With spring coming on, I'd suggest the OP just "man up" and wear a sweater, maybe change the coolant in the car, and plan on doing a comprehensive fix later when maybe the economy is not so shaky.

Great post! I agree in 2 months this will not even matter.

A 2004 vehicle needs a new heater core--no wonder the American car companies are in so much trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,904,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Great post! I agree in 2 months this will not even matter.

A 2004 vehicle needs a new heater core--no wonder the American car companies are in so much trouble.
It's not the car's fault. It all comes down to lack of maintenance. If the cooling system had been maintained from the start it wouldn't need to have the core replaced. And winter driving without heat is downright dangerous. Ever see someone driving with just a peephole scraped right in front of the driver? Seems like the defroster is kind of important.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 AM

773 posts, read 1,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
Now that we are in the core of a deep recession with unemployment for my wife and I a valid fear, the heat in my 2004 Mercury Sable is not working. If I let the car run in the driveway for 20 minutes, there is still cold air coming out. Only after actually driving for 20 minutes do I get any hot air coming out.

I took it to the Ford Garage and they said I needed a new heater core. It will cost $1500. Alot of money for a car that has 95,000 miles. Were they being truthful to me or could I have it done at an independent garage for half that amount?
Take it to a radiator shop and have the heater coor back flushed, they can do it without removing it from the car. It almost always unblocks the core if that is the problem. Could be the thermostat stuck open too. On that model, they should't have to remove the dash.......not for a good tech, but they will most likely charge you to remove it, that is how the book says to do it...........we don't always use the book thought, you find ways to replace parts without doing a full disassembly........ Wish you the best.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,855 times
Hi! I have a 1995 toyota 4runner with 185000 mileage. Hereunder is the situation with this car:
1) It leaks coolant from underneath the engine; and on the passenger side; furthermore, I notice a slight steam coming out of the car's hood, i.e., left/passenger side; (BTW, leak does not wet the cabin.s flloor, rather, the garage flloor;
2) The cabin smells heated coolant; but the cabin still gets heated;
3) Because of the leak, I have to replace/refill radiator with coolant after a short drive, i.e., 3-5 miles;
4) Despite the leak I have not experience any overheating of the engine,
5) Everytime I start the engine and rev it up I hear gurgling sound emanating from the front passenger side of the car. This has been going on even before the leak as described in #1 above.
6) Last summer I had the coolant flushed and replaced following the instructions from the bottle of flushing agent I used.
I am planning a DIY on this, to save. . . will someone please tell me
which one should I replace the heater core or the hose connected to it. Thanks.

Last edited by mayon65; 01-15-2014 at 05:14 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,687,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayon65 View Post
Hi! I have a 1995 toyota 4runner with 185000 mileage. Hereunder is the situation with this car:
1) It leaks coolant from underneath the engine; and on the passenger side; furthermore, I notice a slight steam coming out of the car's hood, i.e., left/passenger side; (BTW, leak does not wet the cabin.s flloor, rather, the garage flloor;
3) Because of the leak, I have to replace/refill radiator with coolant after a short drive, i.e., 3-5 miles;
5) Everytime I start the engine and rev it up I hear gurgling sound emanating from the front passenger side of the car. This has been going on even before the leak as described in #1 above.
6) Last summer I had the coolant flushed and replaced following the instructions from the bottle of flushing agent I used.

First, stop driving the Toyota. If you drive with a leaky cooling system, it can't pressurize, and it will have air pockets leading to localized overheating that the coolant temp sensor(s) won't detect.

Second, copy this post into a new thread with a new title. (Use the "New Thread" button.)

Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 PM

130 posts, read 224,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
First let me ask if the heater core is leaking? is there coolant leaking any where? If not the heater core may not be the problem, it could be the control valve to the core not opening enough to circulate the water, maybe your thermostate is stuck open, does the engine temp gauge come up to normal?
This^. If it is not leaking the core is fine. The problem is a clog or another malfunction. Whoever told the OP this is looking to do a walletectomy on him. Go elsewhere, OP.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 PM

2,174 posts, read 3,616,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I question whether the heater core is the problem since you say you eventually get hot air coming out of the vents. Water may not be flowing through it, but I doubt that the core itself is the problem. Failed heater cores rarely plug up......
As someone who has been in the car repair business well over 30 years I disagree. And Ford cooling system are particularly bad about getting plugged with something similar to Mississippi mud. It is often possible to purge the muck by carefully back flushing the heater. Then you can put a heavy duty flush in the system and run it for a few hours with the heater hoses connected backwards. Do a thorough coolant change and you might get lucky without tearing the whole dash apart -- which IS a huge job on that car. To determine if the heater core is plugged you check the temperature of the hoses. The outlet should be almost as hot as the inlet. If the inlet is hot and the outlet hose cold, the core is plugged.

Don in Austin

Old 01-16-2014, 10:14 PM

113 posts, read 621,221 times
Seems about right since I bet like others have said the dash board needs to be removed to access the part.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,076,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
As someone who has been in the car repair business well over 30 years I disagree. And Ford cooling system are particularly bad about getting plugged with something similar to Mississippi mud. It is often possible to purge the muck by carefully back flushing the heater. Then you can put a heavy duty flush in the system and run it for a few hours with the heater hoses connected backwards. Do a thorough coolant change and you might get lucky without tearing the whole dash apart -- which IS a huge job on that car. To determine if the heater core is plugged you check the temperature of the hoses. The outlet should be almost as hot as the inlet. If the inlet is hot and the outlet hose cold, the core is plugged.

Don in Austin
Yes, yes, and yes...

I recently replaced the Blend Door Actuator on an 07 Crown Vic. What a pain in the butt - partly due to messing with the air bag.

Ford had several models, for several years, that had some weird heater core & interior climate control issues. And the fixes weren't easy or cheap.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,076,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayon65 View Post
The obvious first step is to check all your radiator & coolant hoses in the engine compartment. You've got an older high-mileage vehicle. It's a good bet that some hoses have simply reached the end of their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands