Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 06:50 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

Besides the 505, which Peugeot cars were sold in the USA in the 1980s before they left USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 07:06 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Prior to the 505, the 1970's 504's were a "big seller" for them … especially the Diesels. I saw far more of these than the few gasoline powered 504's, and the 505 gas powered cars were few and far between. 505 TurboDiesel was a pretty nice luxury car for the Peugeot line, but again … a very limited appeal in the USA market with few dealers and even fewer techs that could work on them properly. Parts support was problematic, I had to order most of the repair parts from a specialty importer in CT to get anywhere near reasonable prices for the parts compared to dealer "retail" pricing.

Had a few clients with 604 gas powered cars with the V6 engine in them, they were a very problematic car and came off the road pretty quickly. Had a modest number of 504D station wagons which were a pretty nice riding/comfortable car with good utility space in the cargo area.

Prior to the 504's, Peugeot's presence in the USA was very limited … with very few dealers to sell and support them, and a car built to a very different set of priorities than most of the USA market demand.

504D's could "run away" from the competing MB 4-cylinder diesel cars, start much better in cold weather, and get significantly better fuel economy. I routinely got mid-to-high 30's (35-38 mpg) with the 504D's composite use (in town/highway). My 505TD's could deliver as high as 50 mpg highway mileage, but the engine cooling systems were marginal at best and most of these cars blew head gaskets when they ran a little hot.

The 504D fuel injection systems … be they Bosch or CAV … were very polluting compared to other diesel cars of the era. I remember one trip back from the Colorado mountains (in my 300TD wagon) smelling a diesel exhaust for some miles … and was concerned that my car exhaust system had failed. After several miles, I crested a hill and was following a smoky diesel exhaust trail … my reaction was "I'll bet that's a Peugeot 504D". Sure 'nuff, a couple miles later I caught up with that car and it was a nice looker … 504D … belching black clouds out the exhaust, even on the descents from the mountains heading back to Denver. Was very happy to pass that car and get into clear air again. My bet was that somebody had turned the fuel delivery way up on that 504D in a misguided effort to get "more power". More power from an XD2 engine was not to be had without turbocharging.

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-06-2018 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Prior to the 505, the 1970's 504's were a "big seller" for them … especially the Diesels. I saw far more of these than the few gasoline powered 504's, and the 505 gas powered cars were few and far between. 505 TurboDiesel was a pretty nice luxury car for the Peugeot line, but again … a very limited appeal in the USA market with few dealers and even fewer techs that could work on them properly. Parts support was problematic, I had to order most of the repair parts from a specialty importer in CT to get anywhere near reasonable prices for the parts compared to dealer "retail" pricing.

Had a few clients with 604 gas powered cars with the V6 engine in them, they were a very problematic car and came off the road pretty quickly. Had a modest number of 504D station wagons which were a pretty nice riding/comfortable car with good utility space in the cargo area.

Prior to the 504's, Peugeot's presence in the USA was very limited … with very few dealers to sell and support them, and a car built to a very different set of priorities than most of the USA market demand.

504D's could "run away" from the competing MB 4-cylinder diesel cars, start much better in cold weather, and get significantly better fuel economy. I routinely got mid-to-high 30's (35-38 mpg) with the 504D's composite use (in town/highway). My 505TD's could deliver as high as 50 mpg highway mileage, but the engine cooling systems were marginal at best and most of these cars blew head gaskets when they ran a little hot.

The 504D fuel injection systems … be they Bosch or CAV … were very polluting compared to other diesel cars of the era. I remember one trip back from the Colorado mountains (in my 300TD wagon) smelling a diesel exhaust for some miles … and was concerned that my car exhaust system had failed. After several miles, I crested a hill and was following a smoky diesel exhaust trail … my reaction was "I'll bet that's a Peugeot 504D". Sure 'nuff, a couple miles later I caught up with that car and it was a nice looker … 504D … belching black clouds out the exhaust, even on the descents from the mountains heading back to Denver. Was very happy to pass that car and get into clear air again. My bet was that somebody had turned the fuel delivery way up on that 504D in a misguided effort to get "more power". More power from an XD2 engine was not to be had without turbocharging.
So USA didn’t get any of the smaller and racier models Peugeot sold in Europe and other parts of the world.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
So USA didn’t get any of the smaller and racier models Peugeot sold in Europe and other parts of the world.
No.

Peugeot perceived their position in the USA market as a luxury car competitor to MB and priced comparably for the respective models.

But the Peugeot's didn't compare for reliability and durability.

With their terribly weak dealer network and minimal support in the USA marketplace, they were sunk here.

The cars resale value dropped to nearly nothing in a few years and made buying a new one a poor value for most buyers … after mostly frustrating years trying to keep one on the road running properly.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:24 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
I have seen a few 80's Peugeot 405's

Old 07-07-2018, 09:38 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I have seen a few 80's Peugeot 405's
So have I, but then again I do live in France.

It's like a time warp at times over here. Our neighbour has a 505 as a daily runner. There was a Talbot Solaro in the village until recently. Another neighbour drives a 1970's Renault 5.

There's a Matra Simca Murena in the next village;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matra_Murena

Peugeot 205s are very common, mainly (stinky) diesels rather than GTis

Old 07-07-2018, 09:54 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
We had the 405. The 405 Mi16 which was a fun little car, it seemed its weak points were a questionable clutch lining (some dealers had them re-lined locally with a premium lining when doing a replacement) and a lack of the low-end torque most Americans are used to. There was no automatic trans available in the 16 valve model which no doubt limited US sales and the 8 valve engine was plagued with cylinder head issues.

The 205, especially the convertible was a little gem of a car which we unfortunately never got in the states.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
No.

Peugeot perceived their position in the USA market as a luxury car competitor to MB and priced comparably for the respective models.

But the Peugeot's didn't compare for reliability and durability.

With their terribly weak dealer network and minimal support in the USA marketplace, they were sunk here.

The cars resale value dropped to nearly nothing in a few years and made buying a new one a poor value for most buyers … after mostly frustrating years trying to keep one on the road running properly.
Shame, as a kid and teenager the 505 was a head turner in looks. It stood out from the crowd and looked elegant. Because of where I live, you couldn’t buy a new Peugeot anywhere close by so it was rare to see one on the road. Only French cars sold locally was Renault via the AMC dealer.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:40 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Shame, as a kid and teenager the 505 was a head turner in looks. It stood out from the crowd and looked elegant. Because of where I live, you couldn’t buy a new Peugeot anywhere close by so it was rare to see one on the road. Only French cars sold locally was Renault via the AMC dealer.

I had an '85 Turbo Diesel I put 168K before I sold it, a bit sluggish around town but a great highway cruiser, probably had the most comfortable seats of any car I've ever owned and very few mechanical issues.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:49 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
My father had a 1983 505, gasoline powered one. It was the top of the line, Silver Edition.

Wonderful ride, nice seating position (you sat high and upright), airy (unlike today's window-slit high beltline cars). Fairly roomy - despite being 10 inches shorter than a Olds Cutless Ciera of the time - thanks to a relatively long wheelbase (108 in).

Interior furnishings however didn't wear all that well.

Peugeots, to my understanding, were very popular in many African countries where they could stand up to the conditions there; don't quite understand how they have a reputation for fragility in North America, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands