Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:29 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
I have been a huge SAAB fan ever since my grandfather took me to a local auto show back in late 1999. I remember sitting in every new and upcoming vehicle possible, and the SAAB 9-3 made a memorable impression.

Currently own a 97x (TrollBlazer), and a friend really wants to purcahse it early next year. He offered a very reasonable amount and would like to take this as an opportunity to purcahse a real SAAB.

Unfortunately SAAB's are hard to find in Alaska, which means a flight to the lower 48 is going to be needed. I've always wanted to drive the Alcan in the winter (the roads will be smoother), but worried about reliability on a 2400-3700 miles trip (depending on where the car is located).

Not sure which model would be purchased since I am also in the market for a diesel (least likely), AND I am a huge Subaru fan. This means the 9-2x Aero is on my radar, but it does not have that magic interior of a real SAAB. However this would probably be best of both worlds.

Any input on reliability would be greatly appreciated.
I owned a 2007 SAAB 9-3 and it was a very good car. No problems at all.
I test drove a 9-2X. It is not a SAAB.
Since they still make the Subaru you'd be far better off buying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
SAAB is completely out of business.
So limited parts. And those parts will become more scarce.
SAAB Parts is not out of business.
They are a totally separate entity from SAAB Cars. Never went bankrupt.

https://www.saabparts.com/en-us/usa/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 07:45 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post

SAAB Parts is not out of business.
They are a totally separate entity from SAAB Cars. Never went bankrupt.
True.

But we still have a Hudson dealership in town. Yes, they do have access to salvage yards that may contain some parts. Dwindling though.

Some parts are generic or shared by other manufacturers.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:26 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,932,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
True.

But we still have a Hudson dealership in town. Yes, they do have access to salvage yards that may contain some parts. Dwindling though.

Some parts are generic or shared by other manufacturers.
Gee, you and I must live in the same town based on your Hudson Dealersip comment. I own three SAABs and I've little difficulty obtaining new authentic parts for the few and seldom repairs necessary. I own a 2000 Viggen convertible, a 9-5 sedan, and a 9-3 wagon.

The only SAAB model I would not purchase is the 9-4X. Only 500 were ever built, they were only sold in the US, and GM never established a spare parts inventory as the vehicles had barely started being produced when the plug was pulled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands