Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 01:45 PM

531 posts, read 452,416 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, or does the old SAAB 93 look strangely anthropomorphic?

(I tried pasting the picture here, but it didn't render. See attachment.)

Anybody else remember:
turn the key and pull the T-handle to start?
the radiator blind?
suicide doors?
the single overhead fanshaft?
the generator getting sprayed by the water pump?
an engine you could lift out by hand, if you didn't mind getting your T-shirt greasy?
the clock that always seemed to be wound down?
the temperature gauge filled with ether?
those pathetic rubber-disc U-joints?
Girling natural rubber brake seals?
the fuel pump that you had to whack with a hammer occasionally?
and, in the end,
cracks where the front suspension attached to the unibody?
Attached Thumbnails
A car with a human face?-saab-93.png  

Last edited by Ed Ferris; 07-23-2017 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: insert picture as PNG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 03:01 PM

This may be getting into 95/96 territory:

one-inch spark plugs, from NGK when Bosch stopped making them;
circular vents in the wheel wells, which you were supposed to open, half-open, or close according to the temperature;
four engine mounts, the firewall one was usually torn but it didn't make any difference;
stopping by the side of the freeway to pull an ignition cable partly off an oiled plug, to give it an air gap and get it firing again;
the freewheel, and how the engine braking would jerk your passenger out of his seat if you locked it;
the GT-750 ignition cables, which consisted of bare copper wires in a transparent plastic tube;
the little shield that was supposed to keep the rain coming through the grille off the distributor;
how practically any Bosch points would fit and work in the distributor;
two mufflers but only one exhaust pipe.

A comment I got more than once was that the car looked like a Hoover vacuum cleaner.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:33 PM

exhaust gaskets consisting of gypsum between two aluminum stampings;
the dashboard-mounted rear-view mirror (and none on the sides), which combined with a small rear window and blind rear quarters made driving in traffic hazardous;
the GT850 oil-injection tank with its sight glass reading "Ni Har Kvar" ("you have left") and feeding seven tiny oil passages drilled in impossible directions through the nickel-steel block;
the door windows which could not be completely lowered, preventing elbow-on-the-sill driving -- probably a good thing considering the suicide doors;
the toggled rear windows on the 95 wagon, which would open one inch at most;
the bus-size steering wheel and its necessary leverage in slow-speed turns.

With all this oddity, though, it was a good city car. It would overheat on expressways.

Old 11-15-2020, 01:36 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,378,272 times
My 59 had suicide doors. The engine ran a rod bearing. I unbolted the engine and lifted it out with my bare hands. You had to pour oil into the gas tank and then fill it with gas. I welded a church key to the underside of the gas cap.

My 61 had regular doors and a full length fabric sunroof. The starter ring gear failed and I had to take that engine out to replace it.

They were good snow cars, I lived on Long Island in those days.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:52 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Edsel...

Yes, I'll find the door...

Old 01-23-2021, 06:42 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
I had the Saab 96 with 4 speed on column.
Was a high quality car.

Saab had the market here many decades ago. Long before Subaru became the car of choice here in snow hill and mountain country.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:49 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
The 1958 Pontiac taillights and back up lights comprised a "face." A pretty angry face, at that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands