Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 AM

120 posts, read 672,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

Some might say its also a good business plan to have a monopoly on parts manufacturing, with few to no competition.
Yea, so you can charge as much as you want! Another situation I wouldn't want to find myself in as a buyer.

So why again does it make sense to spend money on a market that only exists for five years? Its not like this is a classic car. No one in their right mind is going to buy the tooling, so you just have whatever parts are already made, and probably only the ones that are already in this country.

BTW, Pontaic = GM and Saturn = GM, which is still in business, so those examples really don't apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,669,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Yea, so you can charge as much as you want! Another situation I wouldn't want to find myself in as a buyer.

So why again does it make sense to spend money on a market that only exists for five years? Its not like this is a classic car. No one in their right mind is going to buy the tooling, so you just have whatever parts are already made, and probably only the ones that are already in this country.

BTW, Pontaic = GM and Saturn = GM, which is still in business, so those examples really don't apply.
Why would GM still produce parts? Its a shrinking market! A poor Business plan! There will be no parts! Think of the Children!

When you buy a car like this, yes you have to take into account the fact that most sheep will think there will be no parts so the value of the car will plummet. But that makes them good deals usually.

Lets even through out another scenario... If you are replacing fenders, doors, hoods, and repainting, in 5 years. Is there a large demand of people doing that same work on 13 year old saabs now?

IF I wrecked my 1998 saab, with 140k on it. I wouldn't even care, because car is problaby worth $1500 if it runs drives and has Heat/AC

All that being said, never thought the saab 9-3 was that great of a car. Unless you are getting a great price I would pass.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Why would GM still produce parts? Its a shrinking market! A poor Business plan! There will be no parts! Think of the Children!

When you buy a car like this, yes you have to take into account the fact that most sheep will think there will be no parts so the value of the car will plummet. But that makes them good deals usually.

All that being said, never thought the saab 9-3 was that great of a car. Unless you are getting a great price I would pass.
My short answer is because it is required by law, 10yrs.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:39 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,862,727 times
With heavy sheet metal damage a +-10 year old Saab (and many other cars) will be totaled. Lesser damage may be fixable using salvage parts or body shop work.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,052,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
My short answer is because it is required by law, 10yrs.
Yes legally GM is required to provide parts for 10 years. I dont know what percentage of people keep a car for more than 10 years.
I was able to get parts for my old Peugeot for 10 years after they left the US market.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,405,405 times
They may be required to supply parts for 10 years, but they're not required to make 'em inexpensive.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They may be required to supply parts for 10 years, but they're not required to make 'em inexpensive.
All sheet metal is going to be expensive. Also, in the case of Pontiac/Saturn vehicles, they have incentive to keep the prices normal - once you're done with the vehicle they sure would like you to purchase another GM vehicle.

With Saab on the other hand, this is not true. Until its known for certain you can assume that inventory is going to land in the hands of 'the highest bidder'. Likely they don't make cars,thus have no reason to care about long term business, and would very much like to cash in on the need for parts no longer made (aka already perceived as scarce).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands