Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:55 AM

780 posts, read 2,933,136 times

Advertisements

Never driven or ridden in a real Saab; rode in a GM Saab which, I think, it was a Saturn. I doubt I will miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM

352 posts, read 783,697 times
I've always liked Saabs, especially the 1987-89 models, they were so different from everything else on the road.

I had a 2001 9-3 and now I have a 2009 9-3 XWD.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,862,727 times
Too bad. I had some faint hopes of buying a new one soon if they stabilized the situation. I was especially pleased that they now had an AWD option and hoped to check out a new 9-5 Aero wagon (which was never produced in the latest body style).

I've had two of the large body cars (9000 and 9-5). Both were very good, but a little different than the average, cars. Sold the first a 1995 IIRC at 160k miles and it ran well until the buyer totaled it.

We still have one that we may keep as long as it is viable (now nearly 100k miles and runs very well), especially if the already so-so resale plummets. The old ones with real Saab lineage are great. GM presence started to cut corners and design uniqueness.

The Saab four cylinder motors, especially with turbos are sweet packages, a nice balance of simplicity, durability, power and economy. The sportier Aero models are a click above the base with more power, brakes, suspensions etc. All are comfortable, economical, and nice road cars.

They can be quirky and costly to repair and maintain. It helps to have a local, skilled 'Euro' car garage where they have some Saab skills and interest. This makes them much more affordable over time. Mine have been very good.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:34 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,080,048 times
The latest: Saab Terminates Chinese Rescue Plan

Old 10-24-2011, 02:49 PM

859 posts, read 2,833,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Looks like Saab took its last gasp of oxygen today when the Chinese investors pulled out and the judge stopped the bankruptcy proceedings. Liquidation seems to be the next step.... Pretty crazy but I think that's it for Saab, it's over!

Any thoughts? Will you miss Saab? Would you consider buying one now at a huge discount?

Wait, Hold on..... Saab is still building cars??????????????

In all seriousness I'm not the least bit surprised they are going under. They have been building weird cars that have been plagued with problems for years. No one wants them and I think most would be surprised to hear they are still in business....

Will I miss them... Ummm NO. Would I buy one at a huge discount.... Ummmm NO. They're kind of like Saturn.. Goofy little cars no one wants that no one's gonna miss.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,862,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Wait, Hold on..... Saab is still building cars??????????????
Funky sure, but they outlasted a long list of domestics with many fanboys. Surprisingly many have been associated with GM.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 PM

990 posts, read 2,565,059 times
If I could buy a Gripen cheap enough, I'd buy.

But....I think I would need a whole lot of months to pay it off.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:14 AM

600 posts, read 1,936,984 times
I had Saabs in Europe, original and GM Saabs. Both were great card and had a unique character and style.
I would never buy a Saab that is in the hands of greedy Chinese though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands