Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,955,540 times

Advertisements

If the plugs were an issue you'd be throwing a P0300 code just like any of the other above suggestions would throw a code. What won't throw a code as it is not monitored is the fuel injectors leaking down over night. You start the car and it basically runs out of gas. Hit the key again and the fuel system is pressurized again and it starts right up as the air is now bled out of the system. I'd suggest investing in a fuel system cleaner and a lot of hope that it works. Might consider running the gas tank to below a half and put 2 bottles of Techron in the gas. Run it until you're about empty. If the injectors leaking down is the problem this will probably be a temporary fix. You'll need to take it to any good ASE shop and have them run a Motorvac service on it. Cost is usually around $125.00, avoid the oil change places for this service. Most often this cures this type of issue. Sometimes it won't and the injectors must be replaced. If injector/s need replacing I'd suggest looking for sonic cleaned rebuilt units. They're as good as factory new at half the cost.

Keeping the engine well tuned and using a top name brand gas can help eliminate a lot of the issues like this. It's one of those "You can pay now or pay later" kinda things but paying later means it's gonna cost more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,058,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If the plugs were an issue you'd be throwing a P0300 code just like any of the other above suggestions would throw a code.
Usually the code is even more specific than that. 301, 302, etc. should tell you which cylinder you're getting the mis-fire on.

But yeah, this does not sound like a spark plug issue.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 42,741 times
Mine is identical, starst first time for a quick second and then dies, second time starts just fine, have replaced plugs,wires, MAF,fuel filter and pump, ignition switch. it throws no codes, or sub codes, have hooked a TECH 2 puter up to it and found nothing. On random occcasion, it will start up, drop rpm to 200, suddenly shoot up to 1500 and drop back down to idle, no other symptoms

Old 04-17-2013, 02:13 PM

44,652 posts, read 61,699,241 times
At 85,000 mile I had a similiar problem. installed new plugs, new fuel filter, problem solved.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,294,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperpilot75 View Post
Mine is identical, starst first time for a quick second and then dies, second time starts just fine, have replaced plugs,wires, MAF,fuel filter and pump, ignition switch. it throws no codes, or sub codes, have hooked a TECH 2 puter up to it and found nothing. On random occcasion, it will start up, drop rpm to 200, suddenly shoot up to 1500 and drop back down to idle, no other symptoms
It sounds like you're losing prime. In other words, when you shut the car off the fuel in the lines is draining back into the tank rather than maintaining pressure so when you start it it runs for a second on the fuel already in the injectors. By the time it runs for that second enough fuel has started toward the engine that it keeps running the second time around. Since you're replaced the fuel pump and filter, I would suspect the regulator next.

Try turning the key to the on position and leaving it for a few seconds before starting. This may allow the system to prime itself.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,675 times
Have you found the problem? I am having the same issue with the same car. Please email me and let me know suppnickii@gmail.com

Old 12-26-2014, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,414 times
I have a 2008 grand Prix. I drove to work. When I got off I started it and it cut off. I tried to start it, it cranks but car won't start. Does anyone know what this could be?

Old 11-25-2015, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,636 times
My car wont start i changed the spark plugs & wires, fuel filter as well i also noticed gas in the air filter. I checked the fuel regulator and when i turn the key it automatically shoots gas out could that be the problem?

Old 02-17-2016, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,921 times
I've started having the exact same problem at about 110k miles. It starts up fine when it is cold - the problem is when it is warm. If I've been driving for a little while, then turn off the engine for anywhere from 1 minute to an hour, then the car will start up but immediately stall unless I give it some gas right away. Took it in for diagnostics and they had no idea what it could be.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,921 times
Looks like this guy found the solution! I haven't tried it yet but I plan to.

[url=http://www.grandprixforums.net/threads/85909-2007-Grand-Prix-stalls-after-warm-start]2007 Grand Prix stalls after warm start[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands