Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,786,517 times

Advertisements

As some of you may remember, I created a thread about applying for a new place. Well, I was accepted and have moved in. I've been in the place a few days now.

My security deposit ($300) was not that much, but its still money that I am concerned about losing.

Upon moving in, I have noticed a few areas of 'damage' and am worried that I may lose my deposit because of this.

(As a reminder, I am subleasing the place from a tenant, someone occupied the room before me on the same lease. I had to pay an additional security deposit, though the other tenant also paid one).

Upon moving in I have noticed the following things:
  • Uneven floor. Now that doesn't seem like anything I could have caused, of course, but my concern is that there appears as if the flooring (hardwood) is lifted/buckling in a few places, perhaps slightly warped. Again, I've only been here a few days and i KNOW i didn't cause it. It just seems like a poorly installed flooring job (not to mention, given the past life of the property (a warehouse), the floors were probably not perfect to begin with.
  • Patched spots on the wall. There are 12 small (penny size) holes that appear to have been patched. Obviously a poor patch-job as I can notice them plainly. They are in a pattern on the wall, bunched together as if something once hung there. The wall is completely smooth, but it just looks like someone took a wall hanging down, patched the holes and neglected to paint over them.
  • Paint 'seams' cracking. Paint along seams where molding and wall join appears to be separating. It looks as if someone painted the wall and molding together (instead of taping one or the other and paint separately). The wall and molding aren't sitting perfectly flush and it has caused some of the paint to crack. Not really enough to notice on first glance, but definitely something I noticed upon inspecting the room. The paint also is cracking around the tub/shower inlay in the bathroom.
  • Small dents/dings in the wall of the living room. Probably from where a chair or table met the wall. Its all at a uniform height so I would guess a couch used to be there.
  • Splash of paint on the hardwood floor behind a door. It just looks like whoever painted the place before I moved in forgot to put down a protective cloth
Those are the only things I can think of at the moment, but I discover a new "ding" everyday, so I'm sure there is more minor damage throughout the place. When I first viewed the property, it didn't look too bad. Now that I have begun to move in I'm noticing all the little imperfections. Its definitely 2nd rate craftsmanship throughout the property; this complex was kinda targeted towards college students and recent grads so I guess thats too be expected. I'm just worried this stuff might cause me to lose my deposit. Landlords around here (especially in the student-targeted communities) are pretty notorious for keeping deposits and charging fees..probably because they figure college students aren't knowledgeable about the process and they know they are financially guaranteed by parents/cosigners (granted, I'd bet college students live "wild" and some of the withheld deposits are perfectly warranted).

Other than viewing the property, I was never given any kind of official walk-through inspection. My lease doesn't technically begin until June 1st and I plan to contact them ASAP to tell them about the little imperfections.

I wouldn't be so worried if it were a full-term lease, but its only 2 months. Losing $300 would be like adding $150/month to my rent, something I'm not comfortable with. That on top of the hefty 'subleasing fee' they charged me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 04:06 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,218,011 times
Always do a move in inspection and document all problems w/ photos. Do it now.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:48 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Yes, since you are subleasing, your LL is the main tenant.

Write up a list of everything you see, sign and date it, and have your LL (the tenant) sign and date it as well. Dated photos are also a good idea.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I have another question:

From what I understand, email (and text messages) are admissible in court as evidence.
While I have absolutely no intention of ever needing to go to court for any reason, it is, of course, never a bad idea to be prepared and cover all bases.

That being said, what do you think about the idea of me emailing the pictures to myself, thereby creating a time-stamp (date of the email sent and received...can't be manipulated or faked) which would prove that the pics were taken before my lease start and before I have fully settled in and could have caused any damage. Is that a good precautionary back-up plan, just to make sure this stuff can't be used against me?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:44 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Couldn't hurt.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks.

I know I probably sound very paranoid, but I'm a college student and losing $300 (or more) in 2 months does not sound like a good way to spend my money. Its my first time renting so I really don't have any experience with this. I still have one more year of school left to pay for (almost 25% increase in tuition) and I have to find a place to live in August in a fairly expensive part of town (near the uni) and can't afford to be flushing money down the toilet.

In addition, this is a relatively new management company (established early 2010) that took over this development so there are no online reviews or no one to really ask about their reputation. I guess all I can do is make sure they have no excuse to keep my money by holding up my end of the bargain (lease).

Thanks for all the advice I have gotten from you all. City-Data is my go-to guide for just about anything I need these days, it seems like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting