Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

I experienced this myself years ago when I would call my landlord and the tone of his voice when he said hello screamed-"OH BOY WHAT"S WRONG NOW"

It got to the point that he no longer wanted us to call his cell and had every leave their maintenance problem on a voicemail. Someone I work with gets an attitude when her tenant calls with a problem.

So my question is why be a landlord when you can't deal with problems? I see most LL want to just collect money on the 1st and not deal with issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 10:25 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Easy to answer when responding to a tenant with a above average maintenance problems... the reason is the tenant has already established a history and often the problems are tenant caused or minor in nature.

When I rented, I would never call with minor issues... I would take care of it myself. When I did call about a known problem with city tree roots in the sewer pipe... I would identify myself and say it's time again to have the roto-rooter truck out again for the root problem.

Some tenants are golden and they are treated as such... some are very time consuming... case in point:

One of my buildings has an automatic outdoor light... it has been there for years. My tenant calls and says the light isn't working and it needs to be fixed that day... I go out and test it and it works... since I'm there, I change the bulb for good measure. Tenant calls again and says the light still isn't working... I replace the entire fixture... tenant calls again, upset and says the light still isn't working. I drive by at 10 pm and see the light on. I also notice the city street light is out at the street.

I knock on the door and tenant is annoyed with me for not fixing the light. I ask her to walk outside with me and show her the light is working... she then said why is it so dark when I look out my window? I point out the city street light is out and ask her if she hadn't noticed it. She told me I need to get the city out right away to get the city light fixed She only assumed it was my light without even checking and I was out well over $100 plus wasted 4 hours time.

Every owner has similar stories about children's play toys that somehow ended up in the toilet, locks that don't work when the tenant has lost the key, doors that don't close after a couple got into a fight, stoves that don't work because grease is covering the pilot light, refrigerators that "Leak" water because the condensate drain is blocked from something that spilled...

It does get old when only a few tenants make most of your calls and landlords have limits too. Legitimate requests are handled promptly and properly... others, like the tenant that cries wolf once too often are bound to detect attitude.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Easy to answer when responding to a tenant with a above average maintenance problems... the reason is the tenant has already established a history and often the problems are tenant caused or minor in nature.

When I rented, I would never call with minor issues... I would take care of it myself. When I did call about a known problem with city tree roots in the sewer pipe... I would identify myself and say it's time again to have the roto-rooter truck out again for the root problem.

Some tenants are golden and they are treated as such... some are very time consuming... case in point:

One of my buildings has an automatic outdoor light... it has been there for years. My tenant calls and says the light isn't working and it needs to be fixed that day... I go out and test it and it works... since I'm there, I change the bulb for good measure. Tenant calls again and says the light still isn't working... I replace the entire fixture... tenant calls again, upset and says the light still isn't working. I drive by at 10 pm and see the light on. I also notice the city street light is out at the street.

I knock on the door and tenant is annoyed with me for not fixing the light. I ask her to walk outside with me and show her the light is working... she then said why is it so dark when I look out my window? I point out the city street light is out and ask her if she hadn't noticed it. She told me I need to get the city out right away to get the city light fixed She only assumed it was my light without even checking and I was out well over $100 plus wasted 4 hours time.

Every owner has similar stories about children's play toys that somehow ended up in the toilet, locks that don't work when the tenant has lost the key, doors that don't close after a couple got into a fight, stoves that don't work because grease is covering the pilot light, refrigerators that "Leak" water because the condensate drain is blocked from something that spilled...

It does get old when only a few tenants make most of your calls and landlords have limits too. Legitimate requests are handled promptly and properly... others, like the tenant that cries wolf once too often are bound to detect attitude.

Well sorry to say but it goes along with being a landlord. I would never see a LL get annoyed when cashing my rent check.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:40 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
I have a similar problem, but not with the owner, he gets the work done. The problem where I live is out idiot manager, who doesn't do any maintenance unless he's forced. And that requires calling the owner, who's told by the manager that the problem has been solved.

Ultrarunner may remember the post that I made about the plumbing problems that finally got resolved when three of us tenants had to call the owner, because the manager told the owner that the problem was solved, which it wasn't. The manager proceeded to accuse three of us of dropping items down the toilet or putting food down the drains, which was untrue - the problem was caused by tree roots.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well sorry to say but it goes along with being a landlord. I would never see a LL get annoyed when cashing my rent check.
I was told at a young age that you can only be taken advantage of if you let it happen...

Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
You get a very nice answer from some one who takes the time to respond to your rant and this is how you respond....

Perhaps in your case the tenant is the issue....

I had a tenant calling me a few days after moving in about the outlet not working for his dryer. I explained I would sent an electrician to come out and I would pay for the repair UNLESS the dryer is causing the issue. I never heard back about the issue and neither did I receive a response to my emails to folow up on the issue, so there was my answer

BTW we check all the outlets before a new tenant moves in...

Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I have a similar problem, but not with the owner, he gets the work done. The problem where I live is out idiot manager, who doesn't do any maintenance unless he's forced. And that requires calling the owner, who's told by the manager that the problem has been solved.

Ultrarunner may remember the post that I made about the plumbing problems that finally got resolved when three of us tenants had to call the owner, because the manager told the owner that the problem was solved, which it wasn't. The manager proceeded to accuse three of us of dropping items down the toilet or putting food down the drains, which was untrue - the problem was caused by tree roots.
I remember it well and it was only by escalating the problem that the problem was taken care of...

Old 04-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
Quote:
How do you know (or get to determine) what "goes along with being a landlord"? BTW, you make it sound like you're doing your LL's a "favor" by paying your rent. Whether it's renting, jobs, relationships, or even politics... funny how alot of these kinds of tensions seem to happen whenever some folks feel "entitled".

Old 04-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
How do you know (or get to determine) what "goes along with being a landlord"? BTW, you make it sound like you're doing your LL's a "favor" by paying your rent. Whether it's renting, jobs, relationships, or even politics... funny how alot of these kinds of tensions seem to happen whenever some folks feel "entitled".
Anyone who pays their rent on time should never have to deal with attitude when they have a problem.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Anyone who pays their rent on time should never have to deal with attitude when they have a problem.
Nice thought... not reality though.

Paying rent on time does not equate being a good tenant and this is a common misunderstanding.

Locally, there has been a rash of drug homes. The tenants ALWAYS paid rent on time, NEVER made maintenance requests AND they gutted the insides of homes for cultivating marijuana...

Just imagine the damage from having tons of dirt spread throughout the home, compromising the electrical system and irrigating several times a day causing the sheetrock to disintegrate from mold... BUT they always paid the rent on time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting