Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,863 times

Advertisements

I have been living in my current apartment for 3 years now. The first year I was on lease and after that it went month to month. A while back the complex was sold to some guy in California and he started converting units to condos as people moved out. I got a letter in the mail today with a new lease to sign and the letter states that I have to sign the new lease and return it by 8/15 or I will need to vacate the apartment by 9/1 and the new owner is not doing month to month any more. I don't want to sign another lease, I plan on moving to a different city next march/april so I do not want to be locked into a lease for a year. This is ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,485 times
Ok.. so do you have a question or are you just venting??

Old 07-27-2009, 09:28 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhams View Post
I have been living in my current apartment for 3 years now. The first year I was on lease and after that it went month to month. A while back the complex was sold to some guy in California and he started converting units to condos as people moved out. I got a letter in the mail today with a new lease to sign and the letter states that I have to sign the new lease and return it by 8/15 or I will need to vacate the apartment by 9/1 and the new owner is not doing month to month any more. I don't want to sign another lease, I plan on moving to a different city next march/april so I do not want to be locked into a lease for a year. This is ridiculous!
Have you told him that?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,485 times
I do not think it much matters if they tell them that. It sounds like he wants them out anyway to sell the place as a condo. Either sign the lease and stay where you are at for a year or find another place to live. Situation sucks but that is what it is. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 AM

Thing that would suck is if a sign it to shut them up, then bail halfway through lease I am still required to pay rend for all the months I would have had left on it plus $775 fee for breaking the contract. I might just have to move (which I can't afford).

Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,940 times
You have so much stuff that you can't afford to move?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 AM

751 posts, read 2,480,585 times
JS1 moving takes money, that was an ignorant comment.

Burnhams, call the new owner and ask if you can have a lease that is until April when you expect to move. He may be willing to work with you. If not, you have no choice other than to sign the lease or move now. This is what happens when ownership changes hands and you have no current lease.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhams View Post

I'll make a suggestion, stop in to see your Landlord, sometimes
you've got to ask for what you want, see if there willing to compromise
and give you a six month lease, the worst thing they can say , is no.
Good Luck

Old 07-28-2009, 08:39 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Yeah, what everyone else is saying. It's business, nothing else. You'll always run into that kind of situation if you remain a renter your whole life.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:33 AM

I guess everything seemed to work out for the best. We told them we are not going to sign and will be moving out. My roommate is moving out of town. I was worried about not having the money to move, But, I have a friend that lives by herself in a house and is looking for a roommate. so starting on the Sept 1st I will move in there and pay her the same rent as I am paying now so I worked out good. Plus central AC is nice also, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting