Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:58 PM

13 posts, read 46,352 times

Advertisements

Hi i put down $1000 security deposit for a home rental. Well today my mortage co called and thinks i may be able to save my house. I called to get my deposite back on the rental and they said i was responsible for one months rent because they had taken it off the market for a week.

My receipt doesn't say non-refundable. Can they keep my money? I feel obligated to pay maybe $100 but they want to keep $900 and that's a alot for me right now.

I didn't sign a lease or rental arement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
This could be interpreted as your 30-day notice, whereas you'd use a month's rent. And, the security is to safeguard both you and the homeowner. You may not win, but for $1000, you could take them to small claims court. That's the only way to dispute this. Otherwise, you've already lost. Hope a judge meadiates somethng that you and the landlord are happy with. Security Deposit Guide Security Deposit Law

Old 03-11-2009, 07:33 AM

573 posts, read 1,689,426 times
You say you didn't sign anything, I think you're safe. They'll probably keep that 100 bucks, though....

Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,226 times
Yes you are entitled to your money back. A security deposit is kept in case you do any damage to the property or you bail out prior to the end of your lease without notice. If you have not taken possesion of the property and have not signed a lease you are entitled to your funds. Did you sign a lease? Did you sign anything that stated the deposit was not refundable?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Yes you are entitled to your money back. A security deposit is kept in case you do any damage to the property or you bail out prior to the end of your lease without notice. If you have not taken possesion of the property and have not signed a lease you are entitled to your funds. Did you sign a lease? Did you sign anything that stated the deposit was not refundable?

No i didn't sign a lease. I didn't sign anything that stated my deposite was non-refundable. My receipt says for security deposit.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 PM

32 posts, read 107,060 times
They are stealing your money. Don't offer any money as it may come back to sting you later if you go to court. Of course, IANAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogowarden View Post
No i didn't sign a lease. I didn't sign anything that stated my deposite was non-refundable. My receipt says for security deposit.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:30 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Be careful because Rental Law varies from place to place.

Here is what California has to say...

A holding deposit merely guarantees that the landlord will not rent the unit to another person for a stated period of time. The holding deposit doesn't give the tenant the right to move into the rental unit. The tenant must first pay the first month's rent and all other required deposits within the holding period. Otherwise, the landlord can rent the unit to another person and keep all or part of the holding deposit.

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs (http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/looking.shtml - broken link)

Old 03-11-2009, 02:47 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Be careful because Rental Law varies from place to place.

Here is what California has to say...

A holding deposit merely guarantees that the landlord will not rent the unit to another person for a stated period of time. The holding deposit doesn't give the tenant the right to move into the rental unit. The tenant must first pay the first month's rent and all other required deposits within the holding period. Otherwise, the landlord can rent the unit to another person and keep all or part of the holding deposit.

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs (http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/looking.shtml - broken link)
Keep in mind that a HOLDING DEPOSIT and SECURITY DEPOSIT are two totally different.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogowarden View Post
No i didn't sign a lease. I didn't sign anything...
Without a lease, you are a "Tenant At Will", and probably would be considered a month-to-month renter with specific regulations for written notice of moving, as Ultrarunner said, depending on the state. Having never actually paid rent or moved in may be incidental. I've had several tenants move in and never pay rent, and probably never did, before or since. It takes just as long to evict them as if they were a long-term renter who suddenly quit paying.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Without a lease, you are a "Tenant At Will", and probably would be considered a month-to-month renter with specific regulations for written notice of moving, as Ultrarunner said, depending on the state. Having never actually paid rent or moved in may be incidental. I've had several tenants move in and never pay rent, and probably never did, before or since. It takes just as long to evict them as if they were a long-term renter who suddenly quit paying.

I was to sign a year lease but i backed out before signing the lease.

Also my recept says security deposit. Not holding deposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting