Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:34 AM

37,515 posts, read 60,421,871 times

Advertisements

whether or not it is "just" an apartment -- the issue is that they misrepresented the situation and apparently either broke rules in taking your deposit or in allowing the tenant to back out of the intent to vacate letter--
you have not technically suffered damages because you have not had to eat any money for other deposits or because you gave notice and had to pay early termination fee or movers' charges and then can't move--
no monitary damages means you don't really have much of a legal case...which is why the apt has probably done this in the past...

I wonder if that was not a bait and switch move by leasing agents
maybe they know the tenant was not really going to move--they get you to put down deposit under pretense that renter is giving up the unit you want--they let you get your notice to move underway
maybe line up your movers and then BOP--call says sorry guy is not going to move

frankly I would ask to see the letter he gave with intent to vacate--they should not have leased the aprtment without that--if they have it then the tenant is in violation and the manager is violating policy to allow that person to stay vs enforcing the contract for you as new tenant...
they got your money and want to have to take another (lesser attractive in your POV) apartment...

I think that happens a lot more than people want to admit..
same thing happened to my son and his then-fiancee when they were moving over a year ago...

if you are not moving into that apt complex--I would send a registered letter to the home company with copy of your contract and notes about phone conversations with leasing agents--would also send notice to the board in the city that regulates apartments--there are laws/regulations against doing this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting