Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:39 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,250 times

Advertisements

1. Is it better to use carpet or flooring for a rental unit?

2. What would be the best carpet or flooring to use?

I've been noticing out here in Southern California a lot of rentals are moving away from carpet and changing to flooring. I was always told carpet is cheaper and easier for landlords to deal with instead of cheap laminate flooring that has to be replaced constantly.
3. What changed?

For my unit that I live in, I have had 'luxury vinyl flooring' installed, which is a lot more resistant than laminate. I'm not sure what to do for my tenants unit, they currently have tile in the living room/kitchen and carpet in the bedrooms. My tenants will be moving out in 4 months so I want to start my research early. I kinda like the current trend of grey flooring with white walls.

Last edited by Miss Pip; 08-07-2017 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I use laminate flooring.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:55 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Tile is typically the must durable. However, installation is expensive.

They do make tile now that looks like wood. If laid property, it is hard to tell at a glance that it is not hardwood.

Typically, with any type of flooring, you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap laminate, it will not hold up. Same as cheap carpet.

Long-run, it is more cost effective to lay tile or go with a quality laminate. Short term, carpet is always cheapest.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Sheet vinyl. They make lots of nice sheet vinyl now. Most under-rated floor ever. Fairly durable, and water proof.

I wouldn't trust renters with laminate. It's too easy to ruin with water, or pets.

Carpet's cheap, but a mess to replace with every tenant.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Tile is typically the must durable. However, installation is expensive.

They do make tile now that looks like wood. If laid property, it is hard to tell at a glance that it is not hardwood.

Typically, with any type of flooring, you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap laminate, it will not hold up. Same as cheap carpet.

Long-run, it is more cost effective to lay tile or go with a quality laminate. Short term, carpet is always cheapest.
Interesting, I was never told about tiles before. Thanks.
When I use to rent, I had tiles by the fireplace and a couple of them were cracked from the previous tenants.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
While I would never use tile in my own home outside of the kitchen, dining, or bath (well, unless I can one day afford a tropical beach house), it is good for rentals in warmer climates due to the durability.

Here are some of the 'wood' look tiles I mentioned. Grout lines are usually the only giveaway from a glance, which is why good installation is important. They can install with tight grout lines (and matching grout), so they are not visible with out paying attention.

Of course, any type of tile can be used in living areas:

http://flooringmagz.com/wp-content/u...ving-rooms.jpg

Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
While I would never use tile in my own home outside of the kitchen, dining, or bath (well, unless I can one day afford a tropical beach house), it is good for rentals in warmer climates due to the durability.

Here are some of the 'wood' look tiles I mentioned. Grout lines are usually the only giveaway from a glance, which is why good installation is important. They can install with tight grout lines (and matching grout), so they are not visible with out paying attention....
Wow, those look amazing! Thanks so much for sharing Jaynarie

Old 08-08-2017, 12:44 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
If the tenants are living above your apartment, I would go with carpeting. Carpeting would need to be steam cleaned every 2 years at least, but provide sound deadening.

As for other flooring, Armstrong vct on tiles are pretty heavy duty. easy to strip and wax, seal and polish. very long lasting, and come in so many colors. you can even construct nice patterns , with boarders, or checker patterns. Used in many commercial, educational, institutional buildings. best bang for the buck!

Tenants can always place an area rug on top of flooring, to keep things quiet.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:14 AM

216 posts, read 299,448 times
Vinyl plank is durable and if you get thicker (6mm plus) they offer sound deadining properties. You also 'float' the flooring usually which makes installs super easy!

Old 08-08-2017, 06:33 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
These days I would never put carpet if I had a rental property especially the cheap carpet that is in 90% of rentals, even here in Florida. I would go with tile and make sure I have a dozen extra in case one gets cracked. But it all depends on whether you wish to put down something that will last for many years or would you rather replace carpet every few years. I've noticed a trend in the new apartments in my area (Florida) to not use carpet, except sometimes in the bedrooms. They are going with tile or wood like laminate.

Personally I would never rent another place with carpet. I don't like the idea of living with the previous tenant's dirt in the carpet pad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting