Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,505,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think there is a bit too much weed and fond remembrance of Sim City in the world.

Want to control rents? Go be a landlord, and put $$$ where the mouth is.

Zoning is designed and intended to keep people with low money out of home ownership.

IOW government ensures that a sufficiently large pool of rent serfs exists for landlords to make plenty of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 07:50 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,253,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Zoning is designed and intended to keep people with low money out of home ownership.

IOW government ensures that a sufficiently large pool of rent serfs exists for landlords to make plenty of money.
Oh shut up already you are where you are by your own decisions, period. You claimed you needed a way to take pictures and I told you I well send you two nice phones that more than accomplish that task. Still crickets from you. Stop spewing your garbage and do something for yourself already.

Or continue to be a poor loser who does nothing with his life except blame everyone else.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,754,394 times
I've been under rent control for decades...

When it started it was doable.

Over the years it gets more complex and with the addition of Just Cause Eviction you could say you have a tenant for life.

Also, the city has imposed blanket moratorium on all increases to appease one group and today council is considering a moratorium on evictions...

Being a residential Housing Provider is becoming a situation where you have all the responsibilities with fewer and fewer rights.

I say no home based business and the State says go ahead and open a Daycare and no liability insurance needed.

I say no pets and the law says I must make accommodation for Service animals so now just about everyone with a Doctor Letter can have a dog.

I say no smoking and tenant shows me a Medical marijuana card...

I'm a thoughtful and responsive provider with some residents going back to the 1980's but the growth in regulations means I have reducing my residential side of things...

It is kind of ironic in that rentals in Oakland are highly regulated but people often seek to live in areas without rent controls...

Old 12-09-2016, 04:25 AM

106,900 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Your income should be capped at a level without direct correlation to your needs.
yes , since you want to cap the income of landlords who do this for a living who support themselves as well .

Old 12-09-2016, 04:27 AM

106,900 posts, read 109,176,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I personally think that elastic and inelastic demand needs to be treated differently, why do you think the gas, phone and electric companies are price capped?
they are not price capped . they just need approval for increases as well as are not privately owned .

many utility's earn big dollars uncapped from other sources . they can sell electricity on the grid to other area's uncappd as an example , while buying power from areas like niagra power who can generate it cheaper than we can ..

phone company's are in the media,software and computer business , remember the at&t line of computers and unix ? they are competitors for cable tv now .

they all pretty much have sources of revenue in uncapped business's unlike my apartments .

Old 12-09-2016, 05:39 AM

43,365 posts, read 77,271,918 times
Quote:

You forgot to bold the "weed and Sim City" reference, too. It is actually smarter and more compelling.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:40 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,999,986 times
Quote:

That is simply a lie.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:20 PM

193 posts, read 169,704 times
I'm renting to HUD tenants and honestly feel taking advantage of. They for some reason feel entitled to everything.

For example, I provide a Laundry Room Free of charge. But I'm PAYING one of the Tenants $20 a month to lock the door after 10pm.

Shouldn't be the other way around? The tenants should pay me $20 a month to use the laundry room.

I'm also paying another guy $20 a month to take out all the trash for the 4 units. Shouldn't each tenants be responsible to take out their own trash?

Old 12-11-2016, 07:19 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,754,394 times
^^^My limited experience in the SF Bay Area shows Section 8/Voucher residents to be more management intensive than non-subsidized units.

Looking over service logs Subsidized Units account for 79% of my service calls/management time yet comprise 17% of the rent roll... common sense indicates giving up 17% of your clients to eliminate 79% of headaches is a no brainer.

Section 8 also has the unintended effect of renting to people that I never have screened/applied/approved for tenancy... as when there is a change of Head of Household under Section 8 and the Certificate is transferred.

My city has Rent Control and Just Cause Eviction and transfer of HUD Certificate in not grounds for termination of HAP (HUD Assistance Payment)

For decades I was a strong supporter of Section 8 for the real help it provided families of limited means but over the years each administrative change has been to the detriment of the property owner and this is why I no longer accept new Section 8 families.

My experience is similar to yours regarding simple things like taking out the trash, sweeping, litter, etc.

I write at this early hour because a tenant who happens to be Section 8 called Thursday saying one toilet in a two bathroom single family home is stopped-up... arranged maintenance to be there in 4 hours and confirmed she would be home... maintenance arrives and no one home... I tell plumber to wait 30 minutes... no one shows... can't reach tenant so leave note and message hear nothing for 48 hours.

Get a call at 5:02 AM Saturday morning and try to contact resident at 9 am without success...

Sunday morning, get a urgent call at 3:49 AM a little irate demanding the toilet be addressed immediately...

In 35 years of property management this type of scenario has NEVER happened in a non-assisted unit...

Old 12-11-2016, 07:39 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,683,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
how about limiting what you earn or what your investments produce ? i don't think you would like that to much .

real estate is what folks do to earn their living the same as anyone else . you want a market wage for what you do or invest in . .

perhaps they just can't afford to live where they are or need a roommate .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
all irrelevant points , what we do to earn our incomes has no bearing on who gets capped and who does not . rent gouging rarely works if your competitors are cheaper .

try asking for a salary well above what you bring to the party . see how well that works out for you .
Landlords(in NYC) capped their own income by agreeing to rent control, when it was presented in exchange for lower taxes. This is similar to a contractor agreeing to perform work(perhaps a long term contract) at a rate that ends up being below market in the future.
Landlords agreed to this and they made a bad calculation, that's their own fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting