Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:54 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,087,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock4444 View Post
Just a warning to anyone living at Moderator Cut apartments in Brookhaven or anyone thinking of moving to Moderator Cut. I was burglarized TWICE in FIVE month span (September 2007 and January 2008) at Moderator Cut. That's right, twice in five months in Apartment 413 on the lower level. What did management do, nothing.....they took zero action. In fact the only action they have taken is against me. Currently they are now trying to ruin my credit because I moved out and refused to stay in my lease. Let me ask you....would you be able to sleep in an apartment that had been burglarized twice in five months or would you want to leave immediately......Hey that makes sense, force someone to stay in a situation where they have to sleep with a gun to feel safe at night. After all I only pay 960 dollars for rent, so it makes sense that the apartments have zero security.

My apartment was breached by breaking the windows and entering through a window and exiting through my door on both occasions. Both windows were shattered completely and then unlocked and opened.

Overall the breakdown is this, I have had over $5000 worth of items taken from my apartment in two seperate break-ins. Items included 55 inch flat screen tv, 30 dress shirts, 4 pairs of shoes, cash, passport, social security card, two watches, etc.... Not small time stuff here. Sure insurance covers it, but what is being done to keep it from happening to me again or someone else. Nothing....

When I asked for my lease to be resolved I was told by the Manager that the "Issues" that I had were not their fault, that they are not responsible for security and that I would have to buy out my lease for $3,000.00 if I wanted to leave.

Post then provided me with two options. Either pay up, or they send me to collections and ruin my credit...or remain in my apartment through the end of the lease and sleep with a gun in fear of someone breaking into my apartment again.

WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!!
First, go on apartment ratings and apartment reviews and give them a god awful rating. Explain everything in detail making it sound like it's the scariest place to live. It sounds to me like it is. Write letters to the editor in the newspaper and let everyone know what is going on there. Walk around your apartment complex near the rental office and tell prospective renters that it is not a safe place and that you fear for your life. Every time you hear a noise, call the police department and tell them you think someone might be in your apartment. Hopefully, you've changed your credit cards and advised the proper authorities that your passport has been stolen.

Buy a really big gun and use it if you have to. Get a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:55 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,026,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
best advice so far. I think mine was like, $150 for a year or something?

Anyway, you can't break the lease. Sounds like your manager is a jerk, but you can't break the lease.

And burglar's will definitely return once they believe you've replaced stuff.

My renters insurance is $14.00 month (State Farm). There is a $500 deductible and my agent said most of the claims are for theft (not fire, personal injury, etc.)

Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,419,347 times
Consult with a lawyer. A landowner who rents to another has duties including making reasonable efforts to provide for the safety of his tenants. This is especially true since they have been put on notice that you have been the victim of a burglary. Having been put on notice, and not taking action, they have breached their duty to you, and you can recover your damages (atty fees, items stolen, etc.) by proving negligence. A lawyer can get you out of your lease, preserving your credit as well. Continue to pay the rent. If you are forced to pay for temporary living accomodations, you will be reimbursed for this as well.

Also, make sure a police report is filed so the extent of your loss can be recorded.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:47 PM

450 posts, read 1,204,717 times
in Ohio you can break your lease if you believe ;your life is in danger because the landlord has the right to protect you from harm and make your area safe

Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,539,736 times
dont let people in your house anymore.
dont tell people what you got.
change friends.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,367,561 times
Put bars on the windows!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:25 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,510,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
My renters insurance is $14.00 month (State Farm). There is a $500 deductible and my agent said most of the claims are for theft (not fire, personal injury, etc.)
Mine was a bit higher because I furnished the entire place, and I think I covered some of my friends' stuff as well. In addition to my like 6 computers at the time?

Interesting note, if you live in a residence hall, you are covered by your parent's homeowner's insurance. At least through State Farm.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 PM

21 posts, read 243,874 times
I'm sure you can get out of your lease because your landlord did not allow you to put in a burgular alarm. Get a lawyer. If you had an alarm you probably wouldn't have been robbed twice. The landlord directly comprimised your saftey.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,321,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Consult with a lawyer. A landowner who rents to another has duties including making reasonable efforts to provide for the safety of his tenants. This is especially true since they have been put on notice that you have been the victim of a burglary. Having been put on notice, and not taking action, they have breached their duty to you, and you can recover your damages (atty fees, items stolen, etc.) by proving negligence. A lawyer can get you out of your lease, preserving your credit as well. Continue to pay the rent. If you are forced to pay for temporary living accomodations, you will be reimbursed for this as well.

Also, make sure a police report is filed so the extent of your loss can be recorded.
I'm not sure this is accurate. I own a few rental houses. The neighborhoods are decent, but I'm not responsible for a breach of security unless I'm negligent to begin with. If there are doors with locks and windows that a reasonable person would assume are safe, what else can I do? How can a landlord protect against random crime? Is this a generally safe neighborhood?

If my tenant suggested items for their own safety, I'd probably buy off on them but ask them to return the area to the initial condition.

The only thing I'd add is that your local TV station has a consumer segment once a week or so. You might contact them as well.

What are your safety and belongings worth to you? Contact an attorney, but I don't know that you have much recourse.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:01 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,090,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
dont let people in your house anymore.
dont tell people what you got.
change friends.
I was about to ask were the break-ins completely random? Nine times out of 10 the vicim of burglery knows the burgler, or at the very least, the burgler knew how to get in, and what to steal.

I don't mean to insinuate and no offense, but what kind of company do you keep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting