Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 04:38 AM

666 posts, read 645,273 times

Advertisements

You're not living in a Post apartment chain are you by chance? They tried to make me pay the same pet fee over and over again, wouldn't surprise me if they're at it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 04:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
You're not living in a Post apartment chain are you by chance? They tried to make me pay the same pet fee over and over again, wouldn't surprise me if they're at it again.
In order to pay it again, you have to pay it once. She hasn't paid at all.

I'm sure with the high turnover rate in these offices mistakes occur, had it happen to us, but if the tenant creates and keeps documentation and puts everything in writing the issues are handled quite quickly.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:37 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,767,034 times
You know what I would have done in APRIL.. I would have seen it wasnt added to my rent online, then I would have wrote a check for the portion I still owed and walked it over to the management and said "Hey, this wasn't included in the rent like you said it would be, but here's the portion so that I dont get in trouble". That's what a responsible person would do. If they say you owe a late fee, pay it.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,513,908 times
Quote:
The thing is the woman said they will add the pet fee to my rent. I saw the aditional charge thing, but since the woman said they will add it, why would I add to my account without really knowing what was I adding or what I was doing, and maybe ruined the something about my payments . ..
But you did know what to add- total deposit divided by 3. I'm too lazy to look back now, but I remember you saying you paid the first portion the first month, so you even knew the amount. I also don't understand how it would ruin your payments, since you were adding additional pay on to the total.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:52 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,544,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpat View Post
The total amount yes, is on the lease, but no other agreement as to when .
Then you should have as long as you want to pay it off. They can't win an eviction if you pay it before the lease expires. IMH (non-legal)O

Edit to say: Pay by check so you have a paper trail. Refuse to add it to your rent payment. Rent is specific, so it should always be the same. What if they tried to claim that your rent was higher because you paid more for 3 months?

Old 12-19-2015, 06:56 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,544,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
But you did know what to add- total deposit divided by 3. I'm too lazy to look back now, but I remember you saying you paid the first portion the first month, so you even knew the amount. I also don't understand how it would ruin your payments, since you were adding additional pay on to the total.
Yet if I remember correctly, it was a specific fee that she paid online. What is wrong with expecting that same fee online. Why should she pay a fee as an addition to rent online? Then the LL could say that was something else. I would want it documented. Besides that, there is no specification about the installments so there can be no legal "late fee" if there was no expectation of payment outlined in the lease. You can't say a payment can be split then not outline the timeline and charge late fees. How is that even marginally legal? She has until the lease expires to pay the pet fee. A proper lease would say 1/3 (actual amount) due xx date, and so on. Again IMHO.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:00 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,793,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And when they didn't add it you should've gone to the office and asked how to add the payment.

This isn't about you not knowing you owe the money, this is about you hoping to get away with not paying the money.

How can it 'ruin' your payments? It can't. You're going to pay more, not pay less. Paying less would've been an issue not paying more.
Yeah, this is the crux of it right here. Had you been down there or writing them letters each month asking about this and they still did nothing, it would be one thing, but since you ignored it and hoped they wouldn't notice, you owe the late fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting