Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 05:56 AM

124 posts, read 149,779 times

Advertisements

Where I live there are too many dogs barking non stop. Why do apartments allow dogs in apartments when they know that it destroys the quality of life for everyone?

Is this a regional thing? Is this common in cities all over America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 06:48 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Why rent an apt that allows dogs? Just move to a complex that doesn't allow any dogs, problem solved.

Dogs are in every city in the country.

Not sure why everything that happens is earth shattering to you lol

Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
Where I live there are too many dogs barking non stop. Why do apartments allow dogs in apartments when they know that it destroys the quality of life for everyone?

Have you ever complained to the landlord? Guess not much they can do or will do.In a confined building it can be miserable for those who live within. Not the dogs fault its owners who are inconsiderate and lack the skills to control. Many places don't allow dogs and should advertise that fact. Isnt just apts. It is everywhere and for years my neighborhood was pretty quiet except for the occasional dog bored of being outside and human who forgot to let them back in. My neighborhood right now is getting out of control and many stray cats and owners with dogs and it gets noisy often when all get to chiming in. Very annoying when it starts in middle of night. Neighbors next door had a dog that I was familiar with for years and when he had his cancer he started suffering from separation anxiety and barked for however long they were gone. Thankfully they were retired and were short daily trips. Guess I should be grateful to hear the barking as I could be deaf and not hear a thing ever. Might add that a couple weeks ago the neighbors dog was put down and miss not seeing him alot and even mild barking would be uplifting.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:18 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
They're probably companion pets. The landlord has to make an exception.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:05 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Just another reason to love cats! Dog barking is one of the most annoying sounds on earth, especially when its indoors. I can even sense the aggravation in my cats when theyre trying to sleep and the neighbors dog is barking incessantly.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:48 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Just another reason to love cats! Dog barking is one of the most annoying sounds on earth, especially when its indoors. I can even sense the aggravation in my cats when theyre trying to sleep and the neighbors dog is barking incessantly.
Cats make noises too... I had a neighbor who lived across the hall whose cat would make the most awful screaming noises anytime they were away.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post

I actually agree completely with you. We have a neighbor that will let his two dogs outside and let them bark for three hours (while he's home). I've never understood how someone can sit and listen to that and not think that it might be bothering others. Gotta love inconsiderate people!

There are plenty of complexes that do not allow dogs (aside from service animals of course).
And I don't see this as a regional thing. I think it's more a worldwide thing. People apparently love dogs, but in most cases don't bother to control their noise. I try not to get angry with the dogs and instead focus on the owners who have no brain.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:27 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
The days of the dog free apartment building are now in the past. Federal law says that landlords must allow comfort animals, and a whole lot of tenants are willing to lie to get their dog into a no dogs apartment.

There is nothing that the landlord can do to prevent it.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I would say most of the seniors in my apartment building have dogs, and I only hear one barking occasionally. I'm guessing the difference is that they are home with their dogs most of the time.

OP, all you can do is complain to management. They can't do anything if they don't know about it.

And even companion animals have to follow the rules. If a companion animal causes problems, they can be kicked out. They don't get a free pass regarding noise or damage, etc.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:38 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Before deciding on an apartment, management should allow access to the lease so that a prospective tenant can determine if there is a policy about noises bothering other tenants.

Our lease states that if a pet is creating noise that bothers other tenants, management will notify the pet owner that the noise must cease. If the noise continues, the tenant will have to find another home for their pet, or the tenant will be evicted. There is zero tolerance for pet noises, tvs, stereos, and any noises that are loud enough to be heard by other residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting