Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,934 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in our apartments for almost 4yrs back in November we decided to move to a bigger apartment on the 1st floor. We were aware we would hear some noise from the apartment above and the lady above us wasn't so bad only when here grand kids would come on Fridays, about 4 months ago she moved and we enjoyed a month of pure silence. Ever since the new girl moved in all we ever hear is very loud stomping (she wears boots) and loud random thuds at all hours of the day as well as the night. My husband and I can have our tv loud and still her stomping, and at night we can be asleep and be woken up by a loud thud or at 4a.m. because the girl upstairs boyfriend stays there quite often and gets ready for work and we can hear loud thuds as he gets ready.
We have called the apartment office and complained they have talked to the girl above and supposedly even given her 2 violations on her lease but nothing has changed. At one point they offered to move us back to a 2nd floor apartment which we do not want to move we have been living in our new apartment since November and have settled in. We contacted the property group and talked to the person above our property manager which was told that we should let the property manager listen to the noise we go through so she can figure out what to do to make the situation better, which has actually made the situation so much worse it became stressful to figure out a good time to call the office. We live right across from the office so we figured it wouldn't be so stressful but the first time I called the property manager said she would be right over, I open the door and look over and she stopped at the pool to fix an umbrella and the girl upstairs ended up leaving. The second time she said she would be here in just a few minutes and it took her 30minutes to get to our apartment and when she came she had another office staff member with her as well as her toddler daughter they stayed and listened for maybe 5 minuets and of course that was the one time the girl upstairs was quiet. The property manager said she would go up and talk to her and see about putting thicker padding in her apartment, they went up and stayed up there for 15 minuets. When they came back down they walked past us and didn't stop to talk to us, so I went and told her that the whole situation is getting too stressful and feels like nothing is getting done. She told us that the girl upstairs and her boyfriend both had there shoes off and that they tip toe around the apartment and have been choosing to stay else where so they do not make noise. Which is not true at all but she seemed to really believe them and was making me feel like we are just bothering her. I told her that it feels like we are the bad guys and the upstairs neighbor is the good guy and that they do nothing wrong and we are just making all the issues up, the property manager told me to stop making things up in my head and started to talk to me like I was a child and when I would try to say anything she would cut me off. The property manager finally stopped and looked at us and said "I'm done with this!" and walked off.
Since then the upstairs neighbor is worse to the point that it has become so stressful to be at home and that my husband and I are always tense and have been arguing over the dumbest stuff. It's become hell to try and live in our apartment and I don't know what else to do. Our lease is up in November and we plan to move out of our apartment but living here right now is horrible. If anyone could help us on what to do I would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 AM

245 posts, read 291,888 times
apartment life. deal with it.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
To preface, please use paragraphs. Trying to read one long sprawl of words all strung together is a little formidable.

Having said that I've nothing much to offer in the way of suggestions other than move. Management offered to move you back to an apartment on the 2nd floor and you turned them down. However annoying and disruptive it is, the noise you're hearing is normal day to day noise and the building is obviously not too well constructed.

Before you move into another complex, check it at different times of the day to see how noisy it is but otherwise look for something on the top floor where you don't have somebody above you. Even better, look for a small SFH. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
I had this problem in every apartment I lived in that wasn't on the top floor. Some apartments were worse than others, and it was more due to building construction rather than neighbors. When you lived above people, they probably heard every step you made, amplified.

It's just part of apartment life. These neighbors don't sound like they're throwing parties (or furniture) -- they're just living their lives.

Have you ever lived in a first floor apartment before? They're not for everyone, for this exact reason.

Find out if management has another top floor apartment available -- I do think it's the only way you're going to be happy in this situation.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:39 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I have a rule that any paragraph can't exceeds 10 lines, for me to be able to read it, or respond to it.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:03 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I have a rule that any paragraph can't exceeds 10 lines, for me to be able to read it, or respond to it.
You just did.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
You just did.
The morning chuckle is appreciated!

Old 07-05-2014, 04:55 AM

279 posts, read 356,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
+ 1

Old 07-05-2014, 05:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

More than anyone would know...lol

But, I do agree about the paragraphs..the easier the post is to read the easier it is to respond to.

I stop reading after the first few sentences and my eyes started crossing.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,523 times
I agree with everyone else. Your neighbors have a right to be there just like you do. You are both tenants they pay they rent just like you do. What do you really want or expect the management to do make them leave? You will have to learn to deal with it or move. Chucking this off as just experience when selecting apartments in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting