Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:43 PM

13,139 posts, read 21,059,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I did a little reading around about Accord & Satisfaction and why is it that some legal sites say that the satisfaction has to be in a different form than the original contract requested?

Does this mean that the accord between the OP of this issue would have to offer $350 in some other form? Or would the "other form" also be considered any amount of money less than $350?
At one time Accord and Satisfaction was one thing and Compromise and Settlement was another thing. Today they are the same. The essence is one party offers and the other party agreed to accept an alternative to the specific exact amount or conditions being demanded as satisfaction/settlement of the claim.

Quote:
I think the problem is that a lot of LLs don't want to settle or negotiate for a lesser amount - and especially if they are "private LLs". If a LL has pictures of damage and receipts totaling $350 to repair/remediate the damage caused by a tenant, why accept one penny less than what is owed or bother with a counter? Only to stay out of small claims court to not aggravate grumpy judge?
The most common reason is when the person is willing to pay but needs time. The landlord can demand full payment and if not receive go to court. Time, aggravation, and a possibility the court may agree to the time payment or the person defaults and the landlord gets nothing. Many landlord recognize the hassles involved especially when the tenant isn’t really a bad person. So a landlord accepts less now to settle and move on.

What I do find hysterical is all the "landlords" who think the tenant thinking is wrong yet they welcome Accord/Compromise and Satisfaction/Settlement from a tenant when they offer the tenant cash for keys. I read many times where landlords are told to just offer cash or agree to return security deposit in full, or offer this and that just to get rid of a tenant. They are promoting this concept yet if a tenant is the one who makes the first move, suddenly it’s an evil thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,098,355 times
Quote:
Would you break this concept down for us lay-folks and how it would pertain to the OPs issue?
Accord and Satisfaction is a method of settling debts that was established in English Common Law as well as it's more modern variant in the Uniform Commercial Code. It's essentially a simplified way of settling disputed debts. Basically you need a meeting of the minds (accord) and to execute an agreement on that (satisfaction). It essentially creates a new, binding agreement.

In this instance, the OP could send a check to the landlord for a lower amount, stating that the check is payment in full. If the landlord cashes the check, they have accepted the agreement and are bound to it. The check and its novation are a valid offer.

It's a pretty powerful tool. We just had a case down here in Florida where a developer abandoned a project and saved themselves a bunch of money by using accord and satisfaction.

http://www.3dca.flcourts.org/opinions/3D07-0340.pdf

Quote:
I did a little reading around about Accord & Satisfaction and why is it that some legal sites say that the satisfaction has to be in a different form than the original contract requested? One example:

Accord and Satisfaction

Does this mean that the accord between the OP of this issue would have to offer $350 in some other form? Or would the "other form" also be considered any amount of money less than $350?
This comes into play when the debt is liquidated, meaning there can really be no bona fide dispute. Say, you loan me $10,000. There is no dispute to the material facts and thus if I gave you a check for $5,000 marked as payment in full, it is not binding and you can still come after me for the other $5,000. However, like the example, if I offered you a plot of land in exchange, accord and satisfaction would apply.

Quote:
Are damages still considered unliquidated when they were itemized and can be proven with receipts to repair/remediate to the tune of $350?
Potentially yes. The tenant could dispute that they caused the damages, the reasonableness of the costs, or a host of other things. Even if their disputes are a real stretch, the mere dispute is enough to make accord and satisfaction possible.

Quote:
I think the problem is that a lot of LLs don't want to settle or negotiate for a lesser amount - and especially if they are "private LLs". If a LL has pictures of damage and receipts totaling $350 to repair/remediate the damage caused by a tenant, why accept one penny less than what is owed or bother with a counter? Only to stay out of small claims court to not aggravate grumpy judge?
I understand completely, and in those instances a better idea would be to accept reasonable payments on the debt. Unfortunately for the OP, it doesn't appear their landlord wants to go that route either, so a lower lump sum payment is a reasonable counter offer.

If a landlord is not in a financial position to accept a settlement or payments, then they really have no other choice but to file and I think most judges would understand that.

Quote:
And if the LL DOES enter negotiations, and a resolution can't be found, can/would that be held against the LL when LL takes the tenant to court for the original and full amount? Meaning, will a judge hear that the LL was willing to negotiate, so award the LL less at the end of it all b/c LL WAS willing to maybe accept less through negotiating with tenant?
No. If the landlord makes a good faith effort to settle the matter and a resolution can't be reached, they are under no obligation to sue for a lesser amount. In fact, their effort would make it more likely for them to be awarded the full amount. The judge can (if they choose) order payment arrangements at the request of the Defendants, however.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,384,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koab1mjr View Post
Hi All

I moved out of an apartment and got a nice sized bill for about $1500. Is it itemized? Are the amounts reasonable? The Landlord has to follow rules on what can be charged for repairs. On the letter it says please pay within 15 days. I was not prepared to payout that much and I think they are shafting me on this one yet the amount is small enough that its not worth the effort to fight ( I do acknowledge a bit of damage so its not like its completely off base). Soooo since I think they were quite liberal with the damage estimate I want to pay as slow as possible. I was thinking of paying it off in 50 dollar increments to be a pain in their ass. No problem. You pay over time you pay interest on the amount. The $1,500 is due in 15 days. Pay later than that and you should have to pay interest. Can I be taken to court for slow payment? The legalize is a reasonable amount of time but what is reasonable varies from financial situation to financial situation. Why does the amount of time get to be chosen by a persons personal financial situation?

Any advice? Do I have to pay more per month or can I go even lower?

thanks in advance
I have no way of knowing if you have a legal case here. How much damage that was caused to the place is always going to be low in the renters eye and over board in the landlord eye. A landlord is allowed to get a place in similar shape as what they rented to the tenant in. This all depends on time in the unit. It would be reasonable to assume that if a tenant left after a month or two then the place should be turned back in the same condition. If you were to have rented for 5 years then that would not apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting